A different spin on deviled eggs...

Share your favorite recipes that are to die for!
FeyLady68
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fae
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fae
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Thea or you can just call me Fey
Zodiac:

It's that time again in the US where it's traditional to make deviled eggs for picnic lunches and all. I never liked them growing up.

I've had a lot of people tell me "oh you'd like the way *I* make them" but I never really did.

My daughter loves them and she's tried to get me to like them for years. The other day I came across a recipe in a magazine article that said how to make them more with an Asian style of flavors and I thought she might like it so, we got together and made them... and even me, the lifelong deviled egg *hater* :silent: loved them and at 3 eggs worth. lol. :drool:

So I thought I'd share this with all of you in case any one is looking to add a little zing to their usual deviled eggs. The ingredients aren't that exotic but you might have to look around a bit in the Asian section of your grocery to find the toasted and/or hot sesame oil.

Gourmet Asian Style Deviled Eggs

You'll need:

8 large free-range fresh eggs the fresher and higher quality eggs you use, the better the dish will turn out

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1 and a half tablespoons total of hot sesame oil and/or toasted sesame oil depending on how spicy you want them. We made ours with all hot sesame oil and they were delicious and not that spicy.

"A pinch" or approximately a 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Several drops of rice wine vinegar or plain rice vinegar (we made ours with plain rice vinegar)

A quarter yellow onion very finely sliced

1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Paprika

Directions:

Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Once the water is fully boiling, shut off heat and leave the eggs to sit in the hot water for 12 to 13 minutes on a timer.

When the timer goes off, drain the water and soak the eggs cold water until cooled, (it's ok if they are still slightly warm when you cut them, that help mix the flavors into the yolk mixture if the yolks are still slightly warm.)

Peel and discard the shells. Carefully cut eggs in half lengthwise and remove the yolks putting them into a mixing bowl. Put the halved whites on a serving platter. You can put a little toasted sesame oil underneath them if you like, this is optional.

Your yolks should be a firm but a golden orange and still soft, (not overcooked which they look light yellow and dry) If you're using smaller eggs you'll need to adjust the cook time, I prefer to use large eggs to make these, as large as I can find.

To the yolks add the other ingredients listed: mayonnaise, sesame oil, vinegar and salt and mash it all together with a fork until just fluffy. Fill the egg white "bowls" with this filling. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and sliced thin sliced onions and sprinkle a light dusting of paprika.

YUM! I never thought I'd learn to like deviled eggs!!! :devil: :lildevil: My daughter is delighted to see me finally eat one. :crazy:

Best wishes!

Spirit of the Earth... remember...
Spirit of the Sky... remember...
FeyLady68
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Oh we also added a teaspoon dry mustard into the yolk mix as well.

And the sesame seeds can be bought un-toasted and then can easily be toasted on a skillet with a little oil until their golden brown. Let me know if anyone else enjoys these.

Best wishes!

WILDNFREE
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Arkan sonney
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Lady Sethunya
Zodiac:

Sounds yummy, i am gonna try em in the next couple of days, thank you :thumbup:

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”
FeyLady68
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

You bet! :thumbup:

One last thought, the mayo we used is the new Hellman's one with extra virgin olive oil in it and it was great. Some mayos are gross/too sweet (miracle whip yuck lol) and probably wouldn't be good in it.

Best wishes!

WILDNFREE
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Arkan sonney
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My magical/paranormal name...: Lady Sethunya
Zodiac:

Ok, thanks, i'll remember that, just put it on the shopping list :thumbup:

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”
willyrules
new here
new here
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 5
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: Hellhound
If I could be anything, I would be...: Hellhound
My magical/paranormal name...: Valrock
Zodiac:

must try :drool: my mom makes deviled eggs for all holidays and stuff and i'll make sure she makes some with this!!!!! i really hope she does :fingercross:

Currently in the Seminary. Pagan Shaman, Christian Pastor and Minister.
SageOfHyrule
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 55
Spelled Number: 13
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: Werewolf or Mermaid
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: xX_ Emerald Frost _Xx
Zodiac:

FeyLady68 wrote:It's that time again in the US where it's traditional to make deviled eggs for picnic lunches and all. I never liked them growing up.

I've had a lot of people tell me "oh you'd like the way *I* make them" but I never really did.

My daughter loves them and she's tried to get me to like them for years. The other day I came across a recipe in a magazine article that said how to make them more with an Asian style of flavors and I thought she might like it so, we got together and made them... and even me, the lifelong deviled egg *hater* :silent: loved them and at 3 eggs worth. lol. :drool:

So I thought I'd share this with all of you in case any one is looking to add a little zing to their usual deviled eggs. The ingredients aren't that exotic but you might have to look around a bit in the Asian section of your grocery to find the toasted and/or hot sesame oil.

Gourmet Asian Style Deviled Eggs

You'll need:

8 large free-range fresh eggs the fresher and higher quality eggs you use, the better the dish will turn out

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1 and a half tablespoons total of hot sesame oil and/or toasted sesame oil depending on how spicy you want them. We made ours with all hot sesame oil and they were delicious and not that spicy.

"A pinch" or approximately a 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Several drops of rice wine vinegar or plain rice vinegar (we made ours with plain rice vinegar)

A quarter yellow onion very finely sliced

1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Paprika

Directions:

Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Once the water is fully boiling, shut off heat and leave the eggs to sit in the hot water for 12 to 13 minutes on a timer.

When the timer goes off, drain the water and soak the eggs cold water until cooled, (it's ok if they are still slightly warm when you cut them, that help mix the flavors into the yolk mixture if the yolks are still slightly warm.)

Peel and discard the shells. Carefully cut eggs in half lengthwise and remove the yolks putting them into a mixing bowl. Put the halved whites on a serving platter. You can put a little toasted sesame oil underneath them if you like, this is optional.

Your yolks should be a firm but a golden orange and still soft, (not overcooked which they look light yellow and dry) If you're using smaller eggs you'll need to adjust the cook time, I prefer to use large eggs to make these, as large as I can find.

To the yolks add the other ingredients listed: mayonnaise, sesame oil, vinegar and salt and mash it all together with a fork until just fluffy. Fill the egg white "bowls" with this filling. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and sliced thin sliced onions and sprinkle a light dusting of paprika.

YUM! I never thought I'd learn to like deviled eggs!!! :devil: :lildevil: My daughter is delighted to see me finally eat one. :crazy:
OMG! I love deviled eggs and asian food, I can't wait to have my girl friend make these(she is the master deviled egg chef lol). Ohh I bet a dash of ginger spice would be excellent in these also, I love ginger.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING! :drool: Excited.

The moon is gone and the night is still so dark
I'm a little bit afraid of tomorrow
For this day was so long and hard for me
And I've lost some of the things

I will cry a little while and wait for tomorrow
There's no way to be free from the loneliness
It took so long for me to notice
But now I'm on my way to find my life

Maybe this day, maybe tomorrow

So far I have trusted
Brighter it shines
The light of love

I am the one whose image is great and I am the one who has no image.

Return to “Dinner to Die For”