Magnolia how about a moderated debate section? - VOTE NOW!!!

Do you have an idea to make the forum better? Easier to use? Submit it!

Should we have a moderated debate section?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 39
Killa
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

wynterhaven wrote:
wynterhaven wrote:then i can't really answer that question because i am tenure and i'm just reporting what i see.
darn edit button: then why can't it be kept in off topic randomness?
Lmao! yes i wish i can go back and edit or clarify a few things from earlier. I'm not really sure the option isn't provided in ALL sections! ~.~

But anyhow I see off-topic randomness as 'Filler' for the forum. Just talk about every day things. Whats on the news lately. What happened to you today. Share a laugh, brag about, Or just be flat out spontanious! ::bop::

The Debate/Controversial having a section of its own seems more appropriate to invoke a discussion challenging a belief relating to the paranormal and getting positive and negative feedback on it. Or otherwise defending it. As long as people make statements without getting emotional about it that is. If people dont control themselves and how they respond then ultimately it would make no difference. But it still clears up clutter off from the forum, and allows threads to survive and persist on there own momentum.

<---Really hates offtopicness as you can see. =P It's a chain reaction all together.

Dark Abyss
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
If I could be anything, I would be...: who i am
Zodiac:

Killarican wrote:But it still clears up clutter off from the forum, and allows threads to survive and persist on there own momentum.

<---Really hates offtopicness as you can see. =P It's a chain reaction all together.
does it? i still see people asking transmuting bag questions in the general area instead of the spell/spellwork area. or questions about what is this spirit used for after the fact that they bought it. instead of looking it up in the encyclopedia before buying it. or asking about a problem they're having purchasing something on the general forum instead of sending in a helpdesk ticket. the "clutter" isn't going to go away because of a new section.

i just feel that some people might take personal offense on the MD and instead of being mature about it continue to fuel the fire by spilling it out onto the general threads.

just a lowly spirit keeper. nothing more, nothing less
Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they have found it - Hannah McKay (DEXTER)
what delusional planet do you come from and how do i get off of it?
Be the villain, not the victim.

Killa
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

wynterhaven wrote:
Killarican wrote:But it still clears up clutter off from the forum, and allows threads to survive and persist on there own momentum.

does it? i still see people asking transmuting bag questions in the general area instead of the spell/spellwork area. or questions about what is this spirit used for after the fact that they bought it. instead of looking it up in the encyclopedia before buying it. or asking about a problem they're having purchasing something on the general forum instead of sending in a helpdesk ticket. the "clutter" isn't going to go away because of a new section.

i just feel that some people might take personal offense on the MD and instead of being mature about it continue to fuel the fire by spilling it out onto the general threads.
General Questions is there for whatever it has to do dealing with spirit keeping. As well as people excited posting there recent experiences related to there spirit. OR they can just go to the specific spirit area such as "Vampire" and Say That there vamp tried to sex them up or turn them. There's been so many questions lately that Mag even made 3 new recent sections for asking questions related to Spirit Keeping, Magickal/Enchanted pieces and Paranormal energy. This brings Order.

This forum is evolving beyond such things for just to discuss spirit keeping. Although this forum is for spirit keepers it's attracting people from all different backgrounds Religions and idealogys, Psychics,Mediums, Paranormal Investigators ect.

If people feel strongly to make a point and know they will get positive and negative responses for it, it will start a debate as we know. This is a debate relating to the Paranormal as whole. Not necessarily spirit keeping itself. They are other threads and sections for that. They can freely and openly post knowing full well the reactions they will get. That's What it's there for right?

Either way whether there will be a debate section or not, people need to leave innocent threads alone and make there OWN threads to get there voices heard. That's what this is about. ^_^

*hugs* :hug:

Dark Abyss
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
If I could be anything, I would be...: who i am
Zodiac:

Killarican wrote:If people feel strongly to make a point and know they will get positive and negative responses for it, it will start a debate as we know. They can freely and openly post knowing full well the reactions they will get. That's What it's there for right?

heed this advice.
Either way whether there will be a debate section or not, people need to leave innocent threads alone and make there OWN threads to get there voices heard. That's what this is about. ^_^

you were the one wanting to know what people thought of it. i wasn't trying to trash your ideal just giving you a different point of view. but i feel that just because some aren't going to be swayed, you now have decided instead of them validating their point that they are now hurting an "innocent" post and should leave it alone. yet you want a debate thread? no offense but i think you just proved my point.

just a lowly spirit keeper. nothing more, nothing less
Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they have found it - Hannah McKay (DEXTER)
what delusional planet do you come from and how do i get off of it?
Be the villain, not the victim.

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

It's not a bad idea and ultimately I think Ash & I would have to moderate the section. Objectivity would have to be the absolute form of response in a debate thread, which may not be a bad idea because it forces people to think objectively & not emotionally. I wrote an entire blog on this ideology, which does serve you longer in the end in a goal for enlightenment.

With the many sections of the forum, we did it to try & keep it as organized as possible. We & mods move topics as often as possible into their respective category so people who are coming into the forum who haven't been here all the time can find threads related to what they desire to know about more easily.

I think we'll leave the subject to a vote, the majority will win. I'm willing to give anything a try as long as we all remain respectful of one another.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Killa
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

wynterhaven wrote:
Killarican wrote:If people feel strongly to make a point and know they will get positive and negative responses for it, it will start a debate as we know. They can freely and openly post knowing full well the reactions they will get. That's What it's there for right?

heed this advice.

you were the one wanting to know what people thought of it. i wasn't trying to trash your ideal just giving you a different point of view. but i feel that just because some aren't going to be swayed, you now have decided instead of them validating their point that they are now hurting an "innocent" post and should leave it alone. yet you want a debate thread? no offense but i think you just proved my point.
Excactly my point and i still stay where i stand. I am NOT Judging your view wynter. No one here is. I did make the post to get feedback on it and i am simply reinforcing my points just as your reinforcing yours. And so far everyone has contributed to this discussion making a GOOD example on how a proper debate is done! Staying true to contents of the OP's post and NOTHING Else!

As for innocent posts people are simply providing there view on the post. Yes it can make a debate but does it always make it good? No. It becomes a problem when people lose sight of addressing the OP and instead make a problem based off the misenterpations of someone elses post and then smear it for another good 5 pages. All there is is a bunch of cluttered unrelated pointless posts that lead to nowhere. It Only takes 1 person to address a point when something is slightly off-topic. Not one harrasment after another. And it seems to me the cycles that mag brought it means it's inevitable. You CANT predict how people are going to react. But to counter it you can smooth the edges on how you choose to respond to someone.

There's an old saying: "If a monkey throws its $%(* at you, you DONT throw your *$%! back."

But this is going around in circles now. People are going to justify there views and beliefs no matter what and they need to make there own threads for it not hijack peoples threads when arguing with another poster completely ignoring the contents of an OP's Post.

That's Embarrassing, Rude, and Disrespectful.

It really doesnt matter what you call it "Debate/Controversial" section or "Paranormal Beliefs" section. Just for the lack of a better term, but it still doesnt change what it's there for.

So What's going to be done then if the forum go's through cycles like these? Just sit back and watch and do nothing and then complain about it when it happens? And then wonder why everyone seems to continue a hostile vibe? It's human nature and it wont stop. The only thing that CAN be done is setting a good example unto others.

Let people have there rants all they want. Difference is they are entitled to it now, instead of jumping on other peoples post. There's a difference between responding to a post and responding back in opposed to it rather then starting beef on SOMEONE elses post about what another forum member posted.

"Paranormal Beliefs" or "Debate Section" whatever creative names one can come up with, it fits how many people feel already including YOUR view about the Paranormal as a whole. NOT limited to Spirit Keeping.

<^__^>

Order & Harmony

Killa
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

creepyhollows wrote:It's not a bad idea and ultimately I think Ash & I would have to moderate the section. Objectivity would have to be the absolute form of response in a debate thread, which may not be a bad idea because it forces people to think objectively & not emotionally. I wrote an entire blog on this ideology, which does serve you longer in the end in a goal for enlightenment.

With the many sections of the forum, we did it to try & keep it as organized as possible. We & mods move topics as often as possible into their respective category so people who are coming into the forum who haven't been here all the time can find threads related to what they desire to know about more easily.

I think we'll leave the subject to a vote, the majority will win. I'm willing to give anything a try as long as we all remain respectful of one another.
It's up to you magnolia your the administrator in the end. I dont know how to put a poll up for this one since i cant edit. I really would love to see people get along and freely discuss things openly without getting hostile with one another.

Whether it happens or not i said enough on this subject, but it was a fun idea to toy around with. Thank you for reading this over. =) <3

p’yunik~*~chovexani
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Grigori and Phoenix
If I could be anything, I would be...: I like being human!
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: p’yunik~*~chovexani
Zodiac:

I'm just going to say one more thing, an example of maybe how this would work, and I'm taking this example as it was the most recent one I remember, not to take cheap shots at anyone....

Take the gay god's post. A MOD could see that that post was going off track, and thus would've moved the off topic posts to another forum, ie the moderated debate section, and start a new topic like "what is art" etc. Idk, this is how I see it work out.

In these forums, what I've seen time and time again is, if people are going to debate, they are going to debate, so a section wouldn't be so bad, esp if Magnolia or Ash did so, they are both very objective parties.

I still think it's a good idea, so I vote yes. Guess it was all the years I was on debate team....idk.

~*PHOENIXGUIDE*~
KANUKA PEPPER SELENITE
The Phoenix wings her way through desert skies, defying Fortune's spite, revives from ashes and rise-Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Ուր եք գնում, կարող եք հետեւել Աստծո լույսի ներքո :phoenix:
You share 50% of your DNA with a banana. Get over yourself.
spirits aren't pets...they don't come when called
Killa
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

I think "Debate/Controversial" Section may come off the wrong way. So i also Suggested "Paranormal Beliefs" to cut the iceing on the cake for whatever would be APPROPRIATE to put in there. Whatever is creative for the people to come up with.

But ok i'll shut up now this is my Last post.

Let the administrator decide what is right to her.

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

I would respond to all of this more in depth, but I detailed most related thoughts of mine in my response to Wynter's blog.

I do see what you are getting at Wynter, after reading through comments here. There is always a chance people won't be able to stay mature or will drag things out into the general forum. I also agree that a few of the forum sections aren't used so often, but I try to post in as many as I can so none are neglected.

Debates/arguments do come up in topics that weren't even intended for debate purposes and that is one of the things that has made people uneasy lately. These things happen though...
The more I think about it, every time something is posted that is meant for that kind of discussion, people are usually respectful with their responses and nothing gets out of hand since conflicting opinions are expected.
When something is posted that develops into an argument, it wasn't planned so things get more aggressive than some would like.
Maybe with a debate section, whenever someone notices an argument starting in a general thread - we can start a topic on it in the debate section and refer people to it if they want to discuss the subject. That avoids going off topic onto such tangents in regular threads. I think if anything, this would be a very helpful reason for having a debate section.

Return to “Forum Suggestions”