Language barrier?

VicyCat
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: I have to choose?
If I could be anything, I would be...: something special
Zodiac:

Ok, so my spirit and I have had a hard to bond experience. I always figured it was my inexperience, but tonight for dinner, I decided to cook some bacon and use it as an offering of meat. I heard sang vamps like that. Bacon is not my favorite thing to cook- I usually end up with all kinds of little burns from grease popping on me. That didn't happen at all- and as I was thanking my vamp- I had this thought that was so clear
"parlez vous francais" ( I looked up the spelling- so I don't look like a complete idiot) However, I do know my spirit was part French. Is there a chance that a language barrier is contributing to our slow moving relationship? I know he's there- I asked him when he first arrived to prove it and a freaking man eating mosquito chose that moment to make a snack of my wrist... So we have moments, but could trying to learn a new language help- or at least let him know I'm trying hard? ::Anyone::

Society often forgives the criminal; it never forgives the dreamer." ~ Oscar Wilde
Lilithesa
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process

Hi VicyCat! ::wave::

Hm, I don´t think that language is a barrier.
Once i asked my vamp (who is english) if he preferred me to talk english to him and he said it doesn´t matter. I can talk german and he is fine. ;)
But I find myself talking english to him much... but actually he was familiar with many languages of europe in his time.
So I don´t know really. But I believe it doesn´t matter.
Maybe your spirit prefers or loves french? ::bop::

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
DragonKeeper
venerated member
venerated member

Language isn't a barrier for spirit, they know what we think and feel. I too have some french vamps and if I speak French they do prefer it, maybe it's a French thing ;)

:grouphug: :grouphug:

Peace, light & love

Phil

Alycat79
venerated member
venerated member

This is a fantastic question, because my vamp is Russian, and that's a language I know NOTHING about. I'm not even sure what a Russian accent sounds like, though I'm sure I can look it up on Youtube.

That's awesome that you heard that while cooking bacon, though! :clap:

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Final stanza of the poem Invictus by William Earnest Henley

You have no power over me. - Sarah Williams from Labyrinth

The truly powerful never feel the need to brag about it. - Me

VicyCat
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Maybe I'll learn some general phrases in French... that way it's a meet in the middle deal. But he did seem to like the treat, he sent me that well done vibe...

Society often forgives the criminal; it never forgives the dreamer." ~ Oscar Wilde
Haunted Tarot Magick
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 1
Your favorite spirit to work with: dont tell u :P
Zodiac:

No worry sweetie! Language is not a barrier at all. They see our thoughts, & not really listen to what language we say with their ears :lol:

I have many European vampires which I knew nothing at all about their language, I even speaks to them in CHINESE & my dialects! ::rofl::

babyface
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: Male
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

I have a couple of ancient Chinese vamps and I talk to them in English.......no problem :thumbup:

Logic only gives man what he needs. Magic gives him what he wants.
“I used to be superstitious, then I heard it was unlucky, so I stopped!”
Lampropeltis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gods and creatures.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human's fine for now
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: It's a mystery! ;)
Zodiac:

My theory is that while spirits have the language they learned in life, they can also communicate via wordless concepts. We receive these, and our brain downloads and translates these into terms that we can understand, including the language that we know. (and I assume the reverse is true, that when we send a question or comment, energy goes with it that translates to them into wordless concepts.)

None of which explains why most of my spirits are capable of dialogue, but with my Hippogryph, all I get (aside from nuzzles) is a querying 'whistle' and/or the word 'Fiiish!' :thought:

"With great power comes great responsibility." -Uncle Ben
david2885
active contributor
active contributor

Something you might find useful:

From February 7, 2008 Show Transcript - Magnolia's Debut!

Hunter:
It is, it’s just priceless. Oh, we have another question I’ve just noticed. David wants to know if you have a Chinese Immortal, are they just going to talk to you in Chinese? I mean, my Greek Immortals talk to me in English so...

Magnolia:
No. Well if you speak Chinese certainly they can. They want to connect with you as much as you want to connect with them, and so they’re going to converse with you through whatever languages they know you’re capable of speaking. Dragons...if you hear dragons speaking Dragon, in literal, what dragon ... I mean, none of us would be able to understand what they say. So they’re going to come to you and speak to you in a way that you know. They’re not going to speak gibberish to you. Although I have had many emails from people who have heard real dragon conversations in dragon tongue, but it’s not going to mean much to you, because you’re not...obviously... it’s not written anywhere, and there are people who are trying to decode languages of creatures such as dragons, but they’re going to come to you and contact you however is best, whatever you’re going to understand, so if you’re apprehensive about collecting an item, a vessel with a spirit such as a Chinese immortal, they’re not going to come to you and speak Chinese. Not unless you know it.

Hunter:
I would be a little bit, Excuse me? Cuz I would go...say...I wouldn’t know what in the world Athena would’ve told me if she would’ve been speaking in Greek. That would’ve been Greek to me. (laughs) Okay sorry, I’m a little bit corny. But anyway, yeah that’s just great to know. I know that when even human spirits, when they’re in their spirit form, aren’t they kind of- have the ability to make impressions and let you know that- you know, in different tongues, I mean different languages.

Magnolia:
Most creatures ...there are faery(?) exceptions ... but most creatures don’t even speak human language, human dialect. There are some of them that make noises that aren’t even audible to human ears. So, they’re always going to come to you through whatever way they can best communicate with you. And there are times when you might hear something strange. Like I said, there’s a lot of people who collect dragons who end up hearing dragon tongue. I’m not sure, maybe they’re just trying to share a piece of themselves with you. As a community, as whole, we’re not really sure why. I think it’s just, they’re just trying to connect with you, they’re trying to share a part of themselves with you. And like I said there are people who actually record all of this and are trying to decode a lot of the different dragon languages. But most of the creatures they have their own dialects, they have their own languages, they have their own way of communicating to each other. So when they come to you in a spiritual form, they’re going to come to you in ways that you can understand, and the ways that you feel most comfortable with. If you’re the type of person who would faint if a ghost appeared to you, then a human spirit’s not going to come to you that way. At least not at first. Perhaps down the road as you connect with that human and as you come to know each other and become more comfortable with each other, they may start by showing you a shade, or an orb, or a streak of light, but they’re not going to come to you in a way that would cause you any offense.

VicyCat
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Lampropeltis wrote:My theory is that while spirits have the language they learned in life, they can also communicate via wordless concepts. We receive these, and our brain downloads and translates these into terms that we can understand, including the language that we know. (and I assume the reverse is true, that when we send a question or comment, energy goes with it that translates to them into wordless concepts.)

None of which explains why most of my spirits are capable of dialogue, but with my Hippogryph, all I get (aside from nuzzles) is a querying 'whistle' and/or the word 'Fiiish!' :thought:

I keep seeing an episode of the madagascar penguins cartoon where the penguin who can't talk begs for feeeessshhhhhhhh!

But Thank you all, esp with the transcript of Magnolia explaining it. I feel better knowing he hasn't been looking at me from behind with that 'are you stupid look' the whole time... can't you just imagine a spirit facepalm ::facepalm:: Maybe I should just cook bacon more often.... my familynsure wouldn't mind...

Return to “General Questions”