Princess:LadyRedStar
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
If I could be anything, I would be...: None-fine as I am
My magical/paranormal name...: Lady Red Star
Zodiac:

We are always being told that one of the first things we should learn is how to ground and center ourselves. However, there is very little offered as to suggested ways in which to do this.

I thought we could post ways that we use to groung and center ourselves here.

Brightest Blessings

Remember the ancient ways...they hold the key to the power within[/color][/list]
SEER777
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 32
Your favorite spirit to work with: WA/DA
If I could be anything, I would be...: A beloved pet
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Seer
Zodiac:

When I ground myself I use the root method.

Tree Root Method:

1. Sit comfortably on a chair or you can also do this standing

2. Close your eyes, take 3-deep belly breaths and relax

3. Your intention and focus is to visualize tree roots spreading from your root chakra (the base of your spine or buttocks) down through the soles of your feet and continuing to the centre of the earth

4. See the tree roots spreading out in all directions, attaching themselves to the earth's centre

5. Feel and know that you are grounded firmly to earth energies

When I center myself, I become completely aware of the now. How the couch/bed/etc. feels under me. Whether I am hot/cold. What I can feel, hear, taste, smell. Then, I clear my mind and feel just "being". I then open my mind to impressions, visions, feelings.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca

"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body." ~Seneca
Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Black Dragon/wraith
If I could be anything, I would be...: Wraith
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Given to a few close friends
Zodiac:

Opps, I went to edit the link and double posted. See below

Last edited by Wiccan Warrior Alex on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageIf everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
Nickleback
Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Black Dragon/wraith
If I could be anything, I would be...: Wraith
My magical/paranormal name...: Given to a few close friends
Zodiac:

Well said Seer, simple and concise !

I might add a few related tidbits:

If you're feeling 'out there' after magical work of any kind, reaching down and touching the ground with flat hands and the eating of a little something (taking of cakes and ale) were developed for this very reason. It is important to ground after such work.

Jim Ewing does a super job of explaining how to ground and center: http://www.blueskywaters.com/groundcentersh.pdf

I've used several variations of his technique for years. If you are not getting the results you want, do take it outside and sit. Sitting against a tree will also boost the grounding.

Bright Blessings,
Alex

ImageIf everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
Nickleback
DarkAddictions
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: in the learning process
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

I understand there are a few ways we can ground ourselves..This is what I understand will help with grounding..This is pretty basic..Please correct me if I am wrong, as I am fairly new at this and wish to learn:

Grounding ourselves, is supposed to help us return safely to any activities after performing meditation, visualization, or any spiritual work

signs and symptoms which would warrant us to ground ourselves ASAP are: Feeling spaced out, distracted, unfocused, lightheaded or dizzy after psychic work or spiritual work

Easiest way is to ground oneself is to start eating a snack or drinking something like water.. or Start doing an activity like stretching, stomping your feet, or doing some everyday activity that will help you focus on the physical rather than spiritual(gradening, cleaning washing dishes)..I understand if you go outside and stomp your feet a bit, do some exercises outside it helps you get rid of any negativity you may be holding. This protects you from psychic attack in the form that you will not be holding on to negative thoughts making it easier to be attacked. It's supposed to get us back to reality in a sense

DarkAddictions
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Princess:LadyRedStar wrote:We are always being told that one of the first things we should learn is how to ground and center ourselves. However, there is very little offered as to suggested ways in which to do this.

I thought we could post ways that we use to groung and center ourselves here.

That in itself is the problem..People say.."Ground yourself" but it is not explained fully, or why we need to do this..I took it upon myself recently, to go buy a book and read about it...After all, you know the saying..Seek and you shall find..lol...I know people may have made posts or threads on this.. but glad these helpful hints are beeing posted in their own topic, so they dont get buried and hopefully are easy to spot..

I can now understand a lot more, and it helps when you all contribute with great hints.As it's nice to pick up different ways to do things from different people.So thank you..Just wanted to let you guys know..A lot of us do read this info, and are practicing what is preached..We are all plenty greatful..Thank you :grouphug:

Alycat79
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

I do a variation of the "tree" method. I sit still with my feet flat against the ground/floor and I take a few deep breaths. I then visualize a bright beam of light coming down to the top of my head, where it spreads out and surrounds me inside and out before flowing out through my feet and spreading out like tree roots. I then visualize the energy flowing back up to the top of my head as if my "roots" were drawing strength from the earth below me.

Haven't figured out how to center myself yet, hoping to find some tips soon. Thanks for posting the link to the article, Alex!

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Final stanza of the poem Invictus by William Earnest Henley

You have no power over me. - Sarah Williams from Labyrinth

The truly powerful never feel the need to brag about it. - Me

Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 30
Zodiac:

Most people do prefer an earth based technique and you can find them in many beginning books on magic. However, not everyone is Earth based. I designed a Fire based technique that may prove helpfull for some, particularly if have difficulty feeling energy.

I was trained to understand that Grounding and Centering should be performed Before all magical practice (including rituals, spell work, cleansing, healing, or meditation) as well as after all working. It can also be used at any point you feel uncomfortable, unsafe, crowded, scattered, anxious, or stressed.

Fire ground and center
This ground and center technique is especially good for those individuals who are fire oriented. It is also the meditation I suggest for those who are looking for a more dramatic way to go about this. The feeling is often more intense than many other meditations will give you. I also agree with previous posters that practicing outside can offer you amazing benefits as nature will assist you.

This can be done sitting down with only slight modifications in the wording. Use your spine as your center where roots go out and the crown of your head for the fountain top.

Stand with arms spread wide in a calm safe environment. (light candles, incense, cast a circle first can all be done if desired but isn't necessary) I suggest either having a trusted friend read this aloud or tape yourself and play it back. Trying to memorize it and then remember it in detail while performing the ground and center is a bit much for most people at first. Wherever it says pause use about a slow count to ten. Once you get the hang of this go ahead and modify it to fit your own needs. making it personal makes it work better for you.

Close your eyes and feel your feet firmly grounded on the floor
pause
You are solid, your weight rests comfortably and evenly on your hips, legs, and feet. Feel the weight of the day, Feel the weight of your body, settle firmly on your legs, feet, and hips.
pause
Now feel roots grow out of the bottom of your feet. They push through the floor and grow down into the soil.
pause
These root tendrils push through rock and stone, through dirt and crystal, through cavern and underground stream.
pause
Feel the roots from your feet as they break through the core of the earth. The core of the earth is glowing magma, hot and healing, and the roots from your feet plunge into the lava.
pause
The lava begins to rush up the roots, pouring through the tendrils, up through rock and stone, up through dirt and crystal, through cavern and underground stream
pause
The lava travels up the roots, through the floor, into the bottoms of your feet, and fills you with glowing warmth.
pause
Now feel the lava pour up, filling your ankles and calves, welling into your hips and thighs, warm and embracing
pause
The lava fills your stomach and wraps around your heart. it travels down your arms, into your hands and fingers and loosens the tension in your shoulders.
pause
Now it wells up into your head, releasing old pains and tensions from your neck.
pause
Your arms begin to rise over your head. The glowing lava from the core of the earth pours out your fingertips and fountains out your crown chakra
pause
Now the lava fountains from your fingers and head, pouring in glowing showers to the earth again, and you feel this cycle connect you and ground you. You are filled with the earths energy
pause
Reach down and touch your fingers to the floor, feel the connection between you and the earth below you pause
When you are ready, stand up and open your eyes.

SEER777
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 32
Your favorite spirit to work with: WA/DA
If I could be anything, I would be...: A beloved pet
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Seer
Zodiac:

Maythen21 wrote:
Close your eyes and feel your feet firmly grounded on the floor
pause
You are solid, your weight rests comfortably and evenly on your hips, legs, and feet. Feel the weight of the day, Feel the weight of your body, settle firmly on your legs, feet, and hips.
pause
Now feel roots grow out of the bottom of your feet. They push through the floor and grow down into the soil.
pause
These root tendrils push through rock and stone, through dirt and crystal, through cavern and underground stream.
pause
Feel the roots from your feet as they break through the core of the earth. The core of the earth is glowing magma, hot and healing, and the roots from your feet plunge into the lava.
pause
The lava begins to rush up the roots, pouring through the tendrils, up through rock and stone, up through dirt and crystal, through cavern and underground stream
pause
The lava travels up the roots, through the floor, into the bottoms of your feet, and fills you with glowing warmth.
pause
Now feel the lava pour up, filling your ankles and calves, welling into your hips and thighs, warm and embracing
pause
The lava fills your stomach and wraps around your heart. it travels down your arms, into your hands and fingers and loosens the tension in your shoulders.
pause
Now it wells up into your head, releasing old pains and tensions from your neck.
pause
Your arms begin to rise over your head. The glowing lava from the core of the earth pours out your fingertips and fountains out your crown chakra
pause
Now the lava fountains from your fingers and head, pouring in glowing showers to the earth again, and you feel this cycle connect you and ground you. You are filled with the earths energy
pause
Reach down and touch your fingers to the floor, feel the connection between you and the earth below you pause
When you are ready, stand up and open your eyes.
Beautiful imagery. Thanks :applause:

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca

"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body." ~Seneca
Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 30
Zodiac:

Earth Based Ground and Center

Earth ground and center

Earth is the element most often associated with the technique of grounding and centering. Nearly any “Wicca 101” book is going to contain a meditation along these lines. One of the nicest I have seen can be found in the book Spiral Dance by Starhawk. The version below is one modified from many of the different sources I have read on the subject, and is the one I generally utilize. I suggest listening to this read aloud the first few times. It’s awfully difficult to read while going through a guided mediation. However, I do feel it is important to learn how to ground and center yourself without guidance and in disruptive environments. This is a great way to get a feel for the technique, daily practice will reinforce, and eventually you should be able to perform this even in the midst of chaos. Oh, and with the deep breaths you want them in through the nose, out through the mouth Really Slow with a longer exhale than inhale. If you struggle with the breathing purse your lips like a fish for the exhale.

Close your eyes. Relax. Take deep steady breaths. When you feel comfortable and relaxed begin to look within yourself. Deep inside you there is a spark. A light glowing like a secret coal lighting you from within. This spark is that of the Divine within you. It is the light of your soul.
Breath in.
Pause
And out
Pause
Embrace the light. Feel it glow bright with every breath. As you inhale make the light stronger, bigger, brighter.
Pause
As you exhale feel all your tension. All your negative energies. Released.
Breath in
Pause
And out
Continue to take deep cleansing breaths. And with each breath make your light grow until it fills your whole body. Feel it flood your entire being. Bringing light into every cell. Until it begins to spill from your fingertips and toes.
Pause
Feel that light extending out of your feet (or spine if sitting) and reaching into the ground. Growing deep into the earth the Mother.
Pause
Push your roots deep into the ground. Like the mighty oak. Deep and strong. Feel any residual negativity released through your roots.
Pause
Pull in all the calm and quiet strength of the earth.
Pause
Now, begin to reach up your finger tip branches into the sky. Grow up. Reaching. Stretching. Reach your branches up to the heaves. Your roots into the earth
Pause
Your are the tree. Deeply rooted yet touching the heavens.
Breath in
Pause
And out
Pause
When you are ready pull your branches back in. Pull your roots back up into your body.
Pause
Pull your light back into your center. It remains centered. You remain centered. And now this light is always waiting for you. Always there to be found.
Pause
You are grounded. You are centered.
Pause
When you are ready open your eyes and proceed with any magick or ritual working you had planned.

Return to “Educational Material”