acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: HUMAN
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I hate to admit, but I have a heck of a time trying to learn via reading. If it is not strait and to the point .... well I my attention wonders, I find myself having read a page and not remembering what it said!.. i mean, eventually I get it, but it takes a while lol :crazy:

SO!.. does anyone know of a good respected learning website for energy workings, theories in magick.. etc that is visual and/or in MP3 format?

Thank you!!!!! <3

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience

Even the brightest Star shines in the dark☽✪☾
gwae
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 16
Spelled Number: 0
My magical/paranormal name...: Shamuramat
Zodiac:

I don't know of any but I know youtube has some videos that are supposed to be very good.
My attention wonders during videos and audio unfortunately so I am not 100% sure.

FeyLady68
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fae
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fae
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Thea or you can just call me Fey
Zodiac:

Years ago I took a class in... taking classes. Seriously.

And they talked about how there's very different ways of learning and people tend to be one of two ways... or some mix.

One way people learn is you learn from the written word... notes off the blackboard and words/pictures in books. Watching other people do the thing you're trying to learn.

The other way is learning more from hearing and doing... listening to the lecture... participating in an experiment or exercise of some sort actually doing the thing you're trying to learn.

I'm more the second type in many ways... I could pass tests on having just listened to the lecture rather than deeply study the material. I do learn a lot from written stuff too but I rarely read things over more than once in school to learn it... compared to some I knew who'd read the material many times. I have good reading comprehension though thankfully when I do read... but would rather watch and listen about it first before I try to "do". At that point though doing tends to cement it for me sometimes especially with something like learning to drive the first time.

Some people though really are more the one way and not the other. I've learned a technique for helping a family member with dyslexia and reading issues. It fascinates me how different people learn. With dyslexia of this type they can't sound out words or learn from phonics at all. They learn from scanning words, sweeping over them with a piece of paper to tune out the letters they're not focusing on so it's not distracting to them. It also helps to build the word as a symbolic picture in clay and the letters of the word built in clay too. Especially trouble words like "and" and "or" and such that the meanings are more abstract than say words like "house" where you can easily see a mental picture of it. It actually helps also to have them spell the word out loud frontwards then backwards which... as a non-dyslexic person I find incredibly hard to do. (These techniques are from the Davis method and it's worked wonders for us.)

Anyway just thought I'd add my 2cents Definitely a lot of different ways individual people learn... the brain is so complex and fascinating.

Best wishes!

Spirit of the Earth... remember...
Spirit of the Sky... remember...
shaf02
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process

I think what fey was trying to say was that there are different types of learning styles

there are 3 main styles which is visual, tactile, and auditory learners

so learns from like diagrams, other needs hands on, other can listen and learn.

As for reading material in general, when i read books on the metaphysical yes stuff can be very fluffy and

sometimes you might only need to know like 10 pages of actual text out of the whole book. I've had a discussion with Zarathustra

about this before. Since I study and read a lot of material in general besides metaphysical books, I usually skim parts of a book

over and pick and choose the important texts. If i find it very interesting I will read the whole thing and usually don't notice how long I take to read it

but I mean everyones different. Some books I find are more informative and straight forward while others give examples and talk about their own experiences

which can also be useful information. I find having more information is better than having too little. An example was I was going through this book of spells

and i realized these spells are great but they aren't explaining really anything just the procedure which can be extremely dangerous, and the only thing

this book gave me was a warning at the front saying like "Use at your own discretion." Which really isn't great advice lol. But the book I was looking at was

translated to English so that may have been a problem. Anyways, I wish you good luck, and have fun studying ^^.

I would show you some things but for Visual Aids, or Mp3's Etc I am not sure if its legal to post it on here.

(POST COUNT + 1) YES, Fist Bump! lol.
Nephret
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 26
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Stryx
If I could be anything, I would be...: Shadow Demon
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Rhea Lynx Celosia
Zodiac:

Good advice so far, guys. As for mp3s for physical and magickal attunement, try http://iso-tones.com for free, legal isochronic tones. Read as much about the arts as you can, and try them directly yourself. Shaf02 mentioned how there are 3 different types of learners, figure out which one you are and take it from there.

RHEA LYNX CELOSIA - Proud of who I am, and will come to be
Dark and Black Arts fiend, Chaosophist, Mythology Dork, and Akarmatic adept in the Making
"I've built more than you'll ever destroy, and I've destroyed far more than you will ever create." - Jason King
"It's a pity that stupidity isn't painful" - Anton LaVey
Earthen
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Hey! thanks everyone! I am defiantly a hands on learner.. and when reading an informational book, if there is to much "fluffyness" I get bored and don't day dream! But I guess they need to fill the pages with something

Earthen
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

PsycloneDeth wrote:Good advice so far, guys. As for mp3s for physical and magickal attunement, try http://iso-tones.com for free, legal isochronic tones. Read as much about the arts as you can, and try them directly yourself. Shaf02 mentioned how there are 3 different types of learners, figure out which one you are and take it from there.
I Love that sight! Thanks!!

Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Just a thought....but you could be suffering from a type of dyslexia or reading disorder that could be easily treatable by simply using colored overlays on top of the book/paper you are reading.

I suffer from this and being an ex-teacher and a sufferer....I SHOULD know more about this. I DO know that about 10 years ago I was taking a required reading course for certification. This one focused on different styles of reading/learning and varying degrees of reading/learning disorders.

I have always been a terrible reader, like you. I would constantly loose my place on the page, read the same sentence over and over again, forget what I'm reading while I'm reading it, etc. In the class I told the professor of my issues and we did a very unprofessional assessment to see which color overlay best corrected the issues I experienced..not all are good for the same person and a good diagnosis "kit" would have perhaps 10 or more different colors in it.

Anyway, this IS something you can look into if you're interested.

Other techniques you should try....
Not everyone can read well in the same amount of light. Correlated to my issues with reading...I tend to read best in very dim light. Everyone my entire life has always come into a room I was reading and complained "How can you read!! It's so dark in here." When the lights are turned up high, I lose my focus.

Some people need to snack while reading and/or sip water while reading.

Some do better standing, some sitting, some laying down, some relaxed, etc. Don't assume its the way "you've been told." Your way could be a very different way.

Experiment with different room temperatures. Being slightly cool or warm could affect you one way or the other.

Trying reading to yourself out loud. Some people, including myself, are auditory learners and learn better just by hearing THEMSELVES read the words.

These are just some simple tricks that are more "modern" approaches to teaching children who may have varying needs and styles in learning. If you go into a GOOD elementary school classroom during reading time....there might be a kid in the closet where its "Dark", someone in the hall so he can read out loud...someone laying on the floor, someone rocking back and forth next to the window, someone snacking on pretzels, someone else drinking water.

These techniques are so commonplace now that they are even utilized during some standardized testing situations.

Try a few out and see how it goes for you,

Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Ellegria* wrote:Just a thought....but you could be suffering from a type of dyslexia or reading disorder that could be easily treatable by simply using colored overlays on top of the book/paper you are reading.

I suffer from this and being an ex-teacher and a sufferer....I SHOULD know more about this. I DO know that about 10 years ago I was taking a required reading course for certification. This one focused on different styles of reading/learning and varying degrees of reading/learning disorders.

I have always been a terrible reader, like you. I would constantly loose my place on the page, read the same sentence over and over again, forget what I'm reading while I'm reading it, etc. In the class I told the professor of my issues and we did a very unprofessional assessment to see which color overlay best corrected the issues I experienced..not all are good for the same person and a good diagnosis "kit" would have perhaps 10 or more different colors in it.

Anyway, this IS something you can look into if you're interested.

Other techniques you should try....
Not everyone can read well in the same amount of light. Correlated to my issues with reading...I tend to read best in very dim light. Everyone my entire life has always come into a room I was reading and complained "How can you read!! It's so dark in here." When the lights are turned up high, I lose my focus.

Some people need to snack while reading and/or sip water while reading.

Some do better standing, some sitting, some laying down, some relaxed, etc. Don't assume its the way "you've been told." Your way could be a very different way.

Experiment with different room temperatures. Being slightly cool or warm could affect you one way or the other.

Trying reading to yourself out loud. Some people, including myself, are auditory learners and learn better just by hearing THEMSELVES read the words.

These are just some simple tricks that are more "modern" approaches to teaching children who may have varying needs and styles in learning. If you go into a GOOD elementary school classroom during reading time....there might be a kid in the closet where its "Dark", someone in the hall so he can read out loud...someone laying on the floor, someone rocking back and forth next to the window, someone snacking on pretzels, someone else drinking water.

These techniques are so commonplace now that they are even utilized during some standardized testing situations.

Try a few out and see how it goes for you,
Hey I'm not a complete dingbat afterall! I found the originator of this theory and her site. You can even do some self-tests online if you like...
http://irlen.com/index.php?s=selftests

I remember now that the "gray" overlay helped me most...which makes sense because I tend to like to read in dim light. Bright light and high contrast - black words on a white page - make it difficult for me to read or focus. The gray overlay helped a lot. I even had one but lost it because hey....I'm a dingbat. I tend to just compensate by reading in low/dim light. Which helps...but doesn't completely solve my problem.

Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 30
Zodiac:

http://www.themeditationpodcast.com/

I loaded all of them on my iPod and have had great success with them. You can get them for free through iTunes as well if you prefer.

Like any resource, some are better than others, so if you don't like the first one try a few more before you decided. I particularly enjoy Calming the Body and the meditation for sleep.

If you have iTunes try searching their pod casts. There's lots of free stuff if you spend time digging around.

Return to “General Questions”