Chicken and Vegetable Stew

Share your favorite recipes that are to die for!
Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Zodiac:

I created this recipe last night as I was looking for a way to make a really rich but "light" chicken stew with a burgundy wine. I love boeuf bourguignon courtesy of Julia Child, and have cooked it several times. But its a bit heavy with the meat and it takes over 3 hours to prepare. This turned out awesomely. If I could have swam in the pot of stew...I would have. But instead, I ate a luscious bowl of my new concoction and will definitely be making it again in the future.

2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 pieces of chicken with bone (I like to use a combination of breast and thigh meat)
1 box of low sodium chicken stock
1 cup red wine (burgundy is good)
1 tsp. of Poultry seasoning
1 tsp. fresh chopped thyme (optional)
1 tsp. fresh chopped sage (optional)

1 cup onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup potato, cut into bite-size pieces
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced or garlic pressed
7-10 cremini mushrooms, sliced

2 tbsp tomato paste
1 ½ cups sweet peas (frozen)
1 cup pearl onions (frozen)

¼ cup flour
2 tbsp butter
½ to 1 cup half and half or heavy cream (depending on taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

De-skin chicken pieces. Salt and pepper chicken on all sides.

Heat olive oil in small stock pot on med-high heat. Brown chicken on all sides and remove from pot. Pour off olive oil and save. Return chicken to pot and add chicken stock, wine and herbs/spices. The stock and wine should cover the chicken so use more or less as needed. Bring to a boil. Lower heat; cover with lid slightly ajar and cook for approximately 30 minutes. Do not overcook as chicken will dry out.

Meanwhile, in a medium sized sauce pan, pour the saved olive oil into pot and reheat on med-high. Add onions and cook about 5 minutes. Add celery and carrots and cook about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, garlic and mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes. Pour 1-2 ladles of hot stock from stock pot into sautéed vegetable to loosen any bits on bottom of pan and stir a few times. Turn off heat and set aside until chicken is done.

Remove chicken from stock and set aside to cool. When cool, pick meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces.

Add vegetable mixture to stock pot and bring back to boil. Lower heat and cook for about 30 minutes with no lid.

Add the tomato paste and dissolve into stock.

Add the peas and pearl onions and bring back to boil. Reduce heat and cook approximately 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, make a dark roux to thicken stew. To do so, melt butter over medium high heat in sauce pan. Add flour to melted butter and stir continuously to cook and darken flour, about 5-7 minutes. Make certain that you are moving the wooden spoon in circular and figure-eight movements constantly and then scrape the bottom of the pan a few times during process. Lower heat to low and add a few ladles of hot stock, one ladle at time; stir continuously while adding stock to create a velvety dark roux for stew.

Add roux to stew and stir. Cook on low for approximately 5 minutes to thicken stew. Add half and half, and stir. Turn off heat. Add chicken pieces; allow stew to sit for about 5 minutes to warm the chicken, but do not allow it to cook any further. Season stew with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with Burgundy wine, crusty French bread and green salad.

Serves 4 ::pot::

Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

oops...missed a step.

After adding the peas and pearl onions and boiling for a bit...but before you add the roux, skim any foam and oil off top of stew. You don't have to be perfect here. But just remove as much as you can.

Goldilocks
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any that isn't shy
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

omg ellegria you are just like me awesome concoctions. i will make a list of needed items and head down to grocery store next weekend will let you know how it goes

Goldilocks
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any that isn't shy
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

any alternative to the butter and flour?

DarkAddictions
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Ellegria, thanks for posting this recipe..I have been looking into more stew recipes particularly ones that call for chicken.

This one seems yummy :thumbup:

Cheeky Devil
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 100
If I could be anything, I would be...: an angel
Zodiac:

Ellegria, delicious sounding recipe there, but erm..3 hours to cook?

Do you do take away's? :hungry: lol

Thanks for sharing this :thumbup:

Anna
Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

anna24 wrote:Ellegria, delicious sounding recipe there, but erm..3 hours to cook?

Do you do take away's? :hungry: lol

Thanks for sharing this :thumbup:
Not certain which recipe you're commenting on. It is Julia Child's boeuf bourguignon that takes 3 hours to cook, not the recipe I created and posted here. If you're talking about Julia's recipe...yes...it takes that long. But it cooks in the oven for most of that time, so its not like you have to watch it or stir it. For anyone who would like to try it, it is definitely worth the time and effort and the recipe can be found on the web without having to buy the entire cookbook. Because it takes so long to cook and is a bit expensive, it's not something I cook more than once or twice a year.

As for my recipe...the chicken and vegee stew....it doesn't take near the same amount of time. But its not a quick and easy meal either. However, I've cooked it several times since coming up with it and posting it here and have to say, I actually like it better than the boeuf bourguignon recipe as its not quite as rich and heavy.

And in my house, something like this is great because I cook it for me and my husband and we eat it over several evenings.

Cheeky Devil
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Oh sorry Ellegs, my bad! I wanted to get to your recipe part so quick that I overlooked what you were saying,
Your recipe sounds ah-may-zing. You sound like a great cook!

If you have any quick recipes for girls like me that work long hours, please share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards! :)

Anna
Madie
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: MakFilia Lucis
Zodiac:

Anna, less working more cooking!!! :lol: Take aways!! I definetelly can't hear kids screaming at your place. :lol:

Sorry Ellegria totally :offtopic: but is Anna's fault...take aways.. :lol:

Back to the recipe it sound great. The ingredients are going on my shopping list, the recipe is bookmarked, the stew will e cooked and served to my little army accordingly. I LOVE COOKING but don't use cooking books, I think all the fun is in improvising and going with your heart... that's why i like the sound of your recipe. Needless to say I'll be thinking of you while we'll be eating. Thank you

Be the change you wish to see in the world

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in helping others

May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to the freedom for all.

Cheeky Devil
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Okay apologies in advance for the ::hijack::

Madie - No kids yet. Recently single(thank god for that)
I agree it's a great recipe, your little army would love it for sure.
Save some for me, I'm coming over! lol

Anna

Return to “Dinner to Die For”