Defenses Against the Dark Arts

Do you have an idea to make the forum better? Easier to use? Submit it!
User avatar
Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Posts: 4122
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:10 am
Your favorite spirit to work with: Black Dragon/wraith
If I could be anything, I would be...: Wraith
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Given to a few close friends

Re: Defenses Against the Dark Arts

Postby Wiccan Warrior Alex » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:46 am

With several people using the search button, copying posts & putting the good ideas on a word page, then a small
group to paste them all together, weed out the duplicities, re-phrase or edit to keep on topic, a good FAQ could be put together.

What kind of subjects do you see needing to be covered besides the two mentioned earlier? Catagories to add to the two below?



1. Protection against dark forces
A. How to recognize a problem
B. How to protect yourself


2. FAQ for the new DA keeper
A. Am I ready for a DA spirit?
B. Basic house rules







ImageIf everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
Nickleback

User avatar
Kenza
neophyte
neophyte
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:48 am
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

Re: Defenses Against the Dark Arts

Postby Kenza » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:01 am

Well in my case,being fairly new to this world,I actually read the entire forum related the the spirits I'm keeping(dragons) ::dragons::
I did go through the mentioned forums,eg spirit keeping,the first few pages anyway,and found most questions being reasked.
Only reading this thread gave me a hint that there may be more info than meets the eye,starting to read from the BACK of the forum,I noticed I struck gold,any single question I would/may ask has already been answered.
The thing is,if newcomers like me are not so lazy and actually READ the entire forums,we will end up cutting down on re-asking the same few questions,which in turn makes/encourages people to read the entire forum repeating the cycle.

Dang... Now I'm confused :insane: :eyebrow:


Be totally vulnerable and Realize that you cannot be harmed.

–Bentinho Massaro

User avatar
Dark Abyss
sanctified
sanctified
Posts: 7392
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:23 pm
You are...: in the learning process
If I could be anything, I would be...: who i am

Re: Defenses Against the Dark Arts

Postby Dark Abyss » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:29 pm

Wiccan Warrior Alex wrote:With several people using the search button, copying posts & putting the good ideas on a word page, then a small
group to paste them all together, weed out the duplicities, re-phrase or edit to keep on topic, a good FAQ could be put together.

What kind of subjects do you see needing to be covered besides the two mentioned earlier? Catagories to add to the two below?



1. Protection against dark forces
A. How to recognize a problem
B. How to protect yourself


2. FAQ for the new DA keeper
A. Am I ready for a DA spirit?
B. Basic house rules






those sound awesome as always alex. maybe even a reference to the different types of trickster entities and different feeders (if there are not sure if there are different types).

Kenza wrote:Only reading this thread gave me a hint that there may be more info than meets the eye,starting to read from the BACK of the forum,I noticed I struck gold,any single question I would/may ask has already been answered.
The thing is,if newcomers like me are not so lazy and actually READ the entire forums,we will end up cutting down on re-asking the same few questions,which in turn makes/encourages people to read the entire forum repeating the cycle.

you're half right in thinking that. the other half is them having a question that may not be quite the same as the person asking the original question. for example psyclone death had asked about using sonji spiders for magick. not wanting to hijack her thread i too asked about them only because i wanted to know what other uses owning one would be for someone who doesn't practice magick (like me). so that's why the question is asked twice because of the simple fact we all don't have the same needs for spirits.


just a lowly spirit keeper. nothing more, nothing less
Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they have found it - Hannah McKay (DEXTER)
what delusional planet do you come from and how do i get off of it?
Be the villain, not the victim.

Image

User avatar
Order
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Posts: 1254
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:52 pm
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 63
Spelled Number: 0
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself of course.
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Merlyn Arsenic

Re: Defenses Against the Dark Arts

Postby Order » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:23 pm

dilvsy wrote:
Chaos wrote:
dilvsy wrote:I too, think this would be a great idea..and also, maybe not have people who THINK they are experts spout off their advice, but have the TRUE experts be the ones to give some good advice, and tips. :thumbup:

Dilvsy how can anyone on an Internet forum tell who's an expert and who's a poser?


Chaos, kindly do not put words in my mouth, thank you.

Um I did no such thing, I was just reiterating what you said and you also didn't give me an answer. How could anyone tell who is experienced or not? The color of their names simply signifies that they post regularily and have been here awhile :?


Merlyn Arsenic,

“Abundance of knowledge does not teach men to be wise.”
― Heraclitus
Dominus Illuminatio Mea
אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה

User avatar
Dark Abyss
sanctified
sanctified
Posts: 7392
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:23 pm
You are...: in the learning process
If I could be anything, I would be...: who i am

Re: Defenses Against the Dark Arts

Postby Dark Abyss » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Chaos wrote: How could anyone tell who is experienced or not? The color of their names simply signifies that they post regularily and have been here awhile :?

i think that it should be magnolia and ash who explain the details of what it is, how it could of been avoided, and how it was handled in the end.


just a lowly spirit keeper. nothing more, nothing less
Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they have found it - Hannah McKay (DEXTER)
what delusional planet do you come from and how do i get off of it?
Be the villain, not the victim.

Image

Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Posts: 2353
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:49 pm
You are...: in the learning process

Re: Defenses Against the Dark Arts

Postby Ellegria* » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Dark Abyss wrote:
Wiccan Warrior Alex wrote:With several people using the search button, copying posts & putting the good ideas on a word page, then a small
group to paste them all together, weed out the duplicities, re-phrase or edit to keep on topic, a good FAQ could be put together.

What kind of subjects do you see needing to be covered besides the two mentioned earlier? Catagories to add to the two below?



1. Protection against dark forces
A. How to recognize a problem
B. How to protect yourself


2. FAQ for the new DA keeper
A. Am I ready for a DA spirit?
B. Basic house rules






those sound awesome as always alex. maybe even a reference to the different types of trickster entities and different feeders (if there are not sure if there are different types).

Kenza wrote:Only reading this thread gave me a hint that there may be more info than meets the eye,starting to read from the BACK of the forum,I noticed I struck gold,any single question I would/may ask has already been answered.
The thing is,if newcomers like me are not so lazy and actually READ the entire forums,we will end up cutting down on re-asking the same few questions,which in turn makes/encourages people to read the entire forum repeating the cycle.

you're half right in thinking that. the other half is them having a question that may not be quite the same as the person asking the original question. for example psyclone death had asked about using sonji spiders for magick. not wanting to hijack her thread i too asked about them only because i wanted to know what other uses owning one would be for someone who doesn't practice magick (like me). so that's why the question is asked twice because of the simple fact we all don't have the same needs for spirits.


Just putting my two-cents of geek wisdom in...

If this moves forward as a group effort, to save time it could easily be done with something like Google Docs. It could be setup for the group who is working on these items...and everyone would be able to see, read and edit the document(s) - obviously cutting down on a lot of time where everyone works in isolation -- potentially has the same exact posts and then turns them all in to one central source who then has to read, weed through the duplicates, put them in some sort of order...etc.

Either Google Docs (which is free) or some sort of free online wiki (there are tons of them).



User avatar
Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Posts: 4122
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:10 am
Your favorite spirit to work with: Black Dragon/wraith
If I could be anything, I would be...: Wraith
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Given to a few close friends

Re: Defenses Against the Dark Arts

Postby Wiccan Warrior Alex » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:21 pm

Chaos wrote:How could anyone tell who is experienced or not? The color of their names simply signifies that they post regularily and have been here awhile :?



Chaos, even among experienced practitioners, each may have different ways of accomplishing the same thing.
The important thing is what WORKS FOR YOU. You may have to try more than one approach to a solution to find something that melds with
your abilities and your energy.

Some people are going to speak from experience, what has worked for them, some are going to to speak from experience as to something they have observed, still others are going to search the web, copy and paste what they have read, and a few are going to say 'I don't know'.

Just because someone has posted something on a website or blog, does not make it any more true. Anyone can post on the internet.

My go to source are the old texts written by known & respected practitioners. Isreal Regardie, Papus, Eliphas Levi, Franz Bardon, John Dee, Alister Crowley, Samuel MacGregor Mathers, Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, etc.

The true test of any magick is if it works for you. This is also one of the principals in Chaos magick, from which you have derived your avatar name., You test the theory, you see what results you get, you try subtle variations, and again measure the impact. Go back to the original, any difference? It matters not if it works for someone else, if it doesn't work for you, then you must find another way, which often is just a variation that utilizes your particular talents.

And you are right, color means nothing except longevity on the board. Analyze what you read, research the subject, experiment. Ask others about their results using different techniques.


Elle, I know nothing about google docs, so I'll leave that to the experts (you) :thumbup: I emailed Magnolia to take a look at this thread, she's probably going to be busy for awhile, but she will get to it. Probably after the new year, so this is the time to formulate ideas.

Namaste,
Alex


ImageIf everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
Nickleback

User avatar
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
Posts: 9191
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:18 pm
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra

Re: Defenses Against the Dark Arts

Postby Ashino Tsume roshi » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:42 pm

Wiccan Warrior Alex wrote:
Chaos wrote:How could anyone tell who is experienced or not? The color of their names simply signifies that they post regularily and have been here awhile :?



Chaos, even among experienced practitioners, each may have different ways of accomplishing the same thing.
The important thing is what WORKS FOR YOU. You may have to try more than one approach to a solution to find something that melds with
your abilities and your energy.

Some people are going to speak from experience, what has worked for them, some are going to to speak from experience as to something they have observed, still others are going to search the web, copy and paste what they have read, and a few are going to say 'I don't know'.

Just because someone has posted something on a website or blog, does not make it any more true. Anyone can post on the internet.

My go to source are the old texts written by known & respected practitioners. Isreal Regardie, Papus, Eliphas Levi, Franz Bardon, John Dee, Alister Crowley, Samuel MacGregor Mathers, Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, etc.

The true test of any magick is if it works for you. This is also one of the principals in Chaos magick, from which you have derived your avatar name., You test the theory, you see what results you get, you try subtle variations, and again measure the impact. Go back to the original, any difference? It matters not if it works for someone else, if it doesn't work for you, then you must find another way, which often is just a variation that utilizes your particular talents.

And you are right, color means nothing except longevity on the board. Analyze what you read, research the subject, experiment. Ask others about their results using different techniques.


Elle, I know nothing about google docs, so I'll leave that to the experts (you) :thumbup: I emailed Magnolia to take a look at this thread, she's probably going to be busy for awhile, but she will get to it. Probably after the new year, so this is the time to formulate ideas.

Namaste,
Alex


I totally support your list of the classic....glad you mentioned Franz BArdon...he is often overlooked....I would add the following:

Austin Osmon Spare - father of Chaos Magick
William S. Burroughs - an occult cyber warrior. and time traveller..especially The Nova Express and Place of Dead Roads
Michael W. Ford - for the darkest of Dark Arts. A rock musician and an Assyrian/Babylonian Scholar.
Anton Sandor LeVay - for an understanding of Satanism
Aleister Crowley & Alan Bennett's book 777 - which is a huge table of correspondences.
Francis Barrett
Ebeneezer Sibley
Maya Deren - The Divine Horseman
Simon's CD explanation of the Necronomicon
William Blake - The Book of Urizen; and also The Marriage of Heaven & Hell
Robert Svoboda - his Aghora trilogy
Dance of the Four Winds by Alberto Villoldo
The Sacred Magic of Abramelin (Very Advanced)
Books on Enochian & Dr. John Dee

Cheers,
C-


EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss

User avatar
Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 14602
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:53 pm
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Re: Defenses Against the Dark Arts

Postby Magnolia » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:11 pm

I like the idea :D Based upon Alex's idea we're looking into forming a helpful committee on here with chairpersons to organize the forum and help keep pertinent information at the forefront all the time. Goodness knows this forum has grown to an enormous size & as said, important posts can be buried.


De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER

User avatar
Nephret
venerated member
venerated member
Posts: 3262
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:51 am
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 26
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Stryx
If I could be anything, I would be...: Shadow Demon
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Rhea Lynx Celosia

Re: Defenses Against the Dark Arts

Postby Nephret » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:14 pm

creepyhollows wrote:I like the idea :D Based upon Alex's idea we're looking into forming a helpful committee on here with chairpersons to organize the forum and help keep pertinent information at the forefront all the time. Goodness knows this forum has grown to an enormous size & as said, important posts can be buried.


Just make one huge, informational post and sticky it?


RHEA LYNX CELOSIA - Proud of who I am, and will come to be
Dark and Black Arts fiend, Chaosophist, Mythology Dork, and Akarmatic adept in the Making
"I've built more than you'll ever destroy, and I've destroyed far more than you will ever create." - Jason King
"It's a pity that stupidity isn't painful" - Anton LaVey


Return to “Forum Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest