the latest from ebay regarding feedback

Pertinent information regarding transacting on eBay
Gothic Mum
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
Zodiac:

Hi all,
I just got this from my ebay Confidential newsletter, looks like they may have to eat their words!

It's finally happened: eBay has admitted they may have
been wrong in causing heartache, loss of credibility, pain
and suffering, lost profits to previously loyal eBay sellers.

Okay, that introduction's a bit OTT and, all I really
wanted to say is that eBay have bowed to sellers'
complaints about neutral feedback scoring exactly the
same as negative feedback in a seller's overall positive
feedback percentage. Some time towards the end of
August only negative points will impact on positive
feedback scores and all neutral points previously
affecting overall positive feedback percentage will be
removed from the equation. So if you had 100% positive
feedback before the new rules came into play and the
odd neutral point has reduced your perfect feedback
rating, very shortly you'll be back to 100% - as long as
you don't incur negative feedback before the end of
August! So be careful!

Apparently, eBay is also considering a U-turn on recent
changes to how 'About Me' pages operate. A short
while ago eBay members could link to outside eBay sites
via their 'About Me' pages, and even include sign-up
boxes to outside eBay newsletters and mailing lists
which helped many sellers grow a mailing list for outside
eBay sales.

Very recently all that changed and today no links at all
are allowed in 'About Me' pages, no sign-up boxes
either. Also very recently, I received news that eBay
may be reverting back to the old system of allowing
outside links and sign-up boxes in 'About Me' pages.

emstrange1
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

I don't doubt that many power sellers have been affected by ebay's recent 'upgrades'. I don't think ebay is considering changing the new system based solely on seller anger, I think they're doing it because they're seeing a drop in profit. Aside from sellers up and leaving, ebay loses money from listing & FVF if remaining sellers (especially power sellers) are selling less goods/services because of a diminished feedback score.

Did the newsletter say anything about sellers being able to leave negative or neutral feedback?
If all they're reverting is the impact of neutrals and negatives on feedback for sellers, I don't think they'll be able recover to the good sellers that have left after this feedback change.

Gothic Mum
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Hi,
No that's all it said for now.
she does give regular updates , so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
I agree that many sellers have left, it's really hit the people who do it for a living, hard.
I really hope that ebay see the error of their ways, but they don't really seem to know what they are doing !

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

A lot of sellers have left since the feedback change and who can blame them? EBay is strictly a buyer's market now and since the whole feedback change I've had my feedback held hostage twice and one person made all kinds of demands for free things, etc and when I responded to their laundry list of demands they responded that "Negative feedback wouldn't be nice, would it?" I reported it to eBay but they don't do anything without a lawyer.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Caiyros Damia Imran
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

I have seen 5 "old-time" respected dealers (and 2 well known outside of eBay) bounced off eBay within the last 7-8 months. And I think that while everything said on this thread is both important, true, and a cause of eBay's troubles, that something else has happened as well. In the ad-world it would be called "taking the sizzle out of the steak" and once you've done that it is next to impossible to get that "sizzle" tucked back into tor back onto the steak. Basically, eBay, in the commercial sense of the word, is on Death Row....leverages, hostile takeovers, a major court battle or two, and a new billion dollar auction sites, and hungry giants like Amazon, Google, & Microsoft, are all possibilities in this "Oklahoma Land Rush" to replace eBay with themselves. Also, eBAy has hurt enough people and created enough enemies that there might be someone out there like Sir Richard Branson, who would just like "to take eBAy down" because eBay has done dirt to its faithful buyers & sellers.....

eBay has finally seen the Shadow of the Monster...and its toooooooooooooooo late.

Caiyros

"I'm just a designer-builder of niteclub-al kabarets looking for the stage lighting box." SCS
"Open the Pod Bay Door, Hal" Dave Bowman
mindsfire_123
new here
new here

Anyone recommend a good ebay alternative? I know CH has an auction set up, but it uses phpprobid or something and all the public auction stuff for sale I know are buggy coded so they are slow and have security holes. If CH's site takes off, she can hire some programmers to recode it from scratch, which will be necessary to handle a big site. eBay started in perl and was later recoded in C++.

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Mindsfire, what do you mean security holes? I'm not up to date with the code, etc and I was under the impression from the hosting site and manufacturer of the auction site it was safe and I update the security settings as new patches are made available. So I would appreciate any input if you know something I don't!

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
fang
neophyte
neophyte

does that mean you are going to have to re-do your site, i think the idea of using another programme to re-do for secruity issues would be good, maybe a secruity patch for the descriptions of your listings would be a good one as well, then no-one can steal the info you have for each listing.
a secruity payment page would be a good issue as well, not necessarily using paypal, https.

believe and you will see.

Return to “For eBay Sellers”