Question on brownies

Discussion of creatures starting with letters A-J.
queenie
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
Zodiac:

Ooh they sound so gorgeous but im always thanking my spirits and would without a doubt slip up and accidentally thank them. :oops:

Living on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun
every year.
Vampire Lover [its a neck thing].
cairngorn
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 3

I have a couple of questions! I'm interested in brownies, but I don't drink milk. It'll be kind of hard to pretend I just accidentally left a bowl of whole milk out when I don't drink it1 Also I tend to thank everybody.

Second, are brownies good with animals, say, cats? I wonder if anyone can comment on the difference between Brownies, Gnomes, and Kobolds.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

cairngorn wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:45 pm I have a couple of questions! I'm interested in brownies, but I don't drink milk. It'll be kind of hard to pretend I just accidentally left a bowl of whole milk out when I don't drink it1 Also I tend to thank everybody.

Second, are brownies good with animals, say, cats? I wonder if anyone can comment on the difference between Brownies, Gnomes, and Kobolds.
I have a Brownie, a Kobold and a Gnome - all from CH.

If you get your Brownie from CH, then this is what the Encyclopedia says:

"If you reward them or give them an offering they will vanish forever. The only acceptable treat is a small offering of milk. If you mistreat a Brownie they will leave and take the good luck with them."

https://www.creepyhollows.com/faq/index ... artlang=en

CH says of most (perhaps all) of its spirits that they don't need offerings. Given what it says above, I think it's more than okay to not offer CH Brownies anything.

When I still drank cow's milk, I 'accidentally'-on-purpose left out a small amount of milk, as if I'd forgotten to put it away. Now I don't buy milk. I think my Brownie is fine with that.

But Mystic Morning Treasures also has Brownies. The MMT info suggests their binding differs from CH's. So with an MMT Brownie I'd say it is essential to follow the offering advice Lisa gives.

One thing she mentions is it is offensive to thank a Brownie. There was a forum thread that covered the issue of saying please or thank you or apologising to some spirit 'races' that find it offensive and why that might be. I think one post said it's okay to let such a spirit know you appreciate them - but of course Brownies really do not need that at all. They seem happy to help and be around their human keepers. I do take care not to say please, thank you or sorry.

Cats? I think they're okay with household pets. You can always specify this, if it will be a custom conjure and ask the seller if they will incorporate that into the conjuration.

I got a Brownie and a Kobold at the same time. CH told me they work together very well. It does very much feel like that. I wouldn't be without them.

Gnomes differ mainly in that they're not a spirit that is traditionally known to help with housework. Their stand out aspect - for me - is their link with the Earth and its energy, grounding etc.

All 3 spirits are a delight to have as companions.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
La Vida Loca
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
My super power would be...: Super speed

I've just read about Brownies today and I'd love to have one too! Thanks, Lewk, for mentioning Kobolds, I didn't even know that they existed.

So how do you bond with Brownies without offending them (i.e., appreciating them and rewarding them)? Just simply talking with them? If humans were like Brownies, the world would be a very different place lol.
If you mistreat a brownie they will leave and take the good luck with them.
The mistreat part is about thanking them and giving them offerings, right? And what kind of luck are we talking about? The luck of having them or all of the luck in our life????

Would you say that it is easier to keep a Kobold instead of a Brownie since Kobolds don't seem to get offended with thanks and gifts?

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

La Vida Loca wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:23 pm I've just read about Brownies today and I'd love to have one too! Thanks, Lewk, for mentioning Kobolds, I didn't even know that they existed.

So how do you bond with Brownies without offending them (i.e., appreciating them and rewarding them)? Just simply talking with them? If humans were like Brownies, the world would be a very different place lol.
If you mistreat a brownie they will leave and take the good luck with them.
The mistreat part is about thanking them and giving them offerings, right? And what kind of luck are we talking about? The luck of having them or all of the luck in our life????

Would you say that it is easier to keep a Kobold instead of a Brownie since Kobolds don't seem to get offended with thanks and gifts?
I definitely remember reading about not rewarding or thanking Brownies but I can;t find it on the CH Shop or Encyclopedia now. But, yes, Kobolds are not described as having an issue with that. In fact the Encyclopedia says they like scraps from the table.

Bonding with any spirits is done via time spent closely with them, eg via meditation. And Brownies are said to like the company of humans, so you might perhaps like to invite them to spend time with you too outside of mediation time.

(Yes, offerings and treats are a good additional way to help form a bond with other spirits.)

I can't enlarge on what CH says about the consequences of a Brownie leaving and taking the luck with them. But it doesn't sound like something anyone would want to happen! I thought I read CH say that as spirits Brownies are bit more understanding than when they were alive - but again I can't find that anywhere now.

find it again.
La Vida Loca
new here
new here

Thank you, Lewk!

These little guys seem so cool, but the punishment for upsetting them is quite severe. Would they be mad if instead of thanking them, I'd thank someone else: God, my other spirits, other people... ? Or maybe after bonding with them, I'd get used to not say thanks to anyone else, which could also be quite problematic lol.

Off topic: Why do all of my question marks turn into this smiley ?? How to turn it off?

cairngorn
active contributor
active contributor

@Lewis: I know you're not supposed to thank them, it's just that habit is hard to get over.
I got a Brownie and a Kobold at the same time. CH told me they work together very well. It does very much feel like that. I wouldn't be without them.

Gnomes differ mainly in that they're not a spirit that is traditionally known to help with housework. Their stand out aspect - for me - is their link with the Earth and its energy, grounding etc.

All 3 spirits are a delight to have as companions.
I'm glad it turned out well for you! And yeah, the common thread of grounding and the link to earth was what mostly attracted me to these kinds of spirits. With Brownies and Kobolds, the focus on the home would be a bonus. I think Gnomes know things about garden soil though.

@La Vida Loca: I don't know how accurate the old stories are, but "mistreatment" might include harsh criticism of their work. According to Kathrine Brigg's Encyclopedia of Fairies, a farmer criticized a Brownie's work in his hayfield and the Brownie tossed the harvest over a cliff! That probably only applies to living entity Brownies, maybe spirit Brownies would have more perspective and less temper.
Last edited by cairngorn on Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

La Vida Loca
new here
new here

Oh, I understand the mistreatment part now. Thank you, cairngorn.

cairngorn
active contributor
active contributor

One more question about Brownies: in some stories with similar spirits there can be a taboo about telling other people what they've done to help you. Do you think this would apply here?

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

cairngorn wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:18 pm One more question about Brownies: in some stories with similar spirits there can be a taboo about telling other people what they've done to help you. Do you think this would apply here?
I suppose that depends on what the conjurer says. You can ask CH yourself of course but their take is that their Brownies are a bit more understanding now they are no longer alive (ie are spirits).

Other conjurers may have built into their binding agreement with the Brownies they conjure an understanding that certain 'social' conventions must be observed. In other words, it's always best to keep to the conjurer of your spirit's recommendations. I wouldn't mix it up and apply one seller's recommendations with a spirit from another seller.

find it again.

Return to “Creatures A-J”