Invocation vs Evocation

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

Yes, there is a difference - and it's rather important.

Invocation is the act of invoking. When you invoke in occult practices, it typically means you are absorbing an energy into yourself. You are inviting a spirit, entity, or force to take up residence within your mind/body/spirit and act through you.
Invocation can also generally involve calling energies up from within yourself that align with the presence you are focusing on - and in doing so simultaneously bring the presence into you which manifests off of that. (This particular way of things may allow a little more power over the situation, through the use of self- identification as a tool to fully immerse oneself in the presence/energy of focus.)
Invocation can be done ritually with or without particular guidelines, although inherently releases some key restrictions that would be present during evocation.

Evocation is the act of evoking. When you evoke, it means you are inviting an energy into your space/to a particular location. Calling upon a spirit, entity, or force to come to you - but usually with greater restriction for them.
In most situations evocation is considered a more structured request - and sometimes "command" depending on the situation, upon your target to come forth through certain ritual methods, and in coming to you will be arriving under direction as specifically posed in the way of evocation applied. This process can easily be an elaborate one that may take quite a lot of energy and work to establish in comparison to basic invocation.

Words and their intent have much power. If you call upon something with the intent of invoking, be prepared for what could possibly happen and will happen as a result.
If you are requesting the presence of any being for them to assist you with a task, or in completion of any effort, aiming for this to be a smooth (and probably temporary) connection through a structured process and for a very specific outcome - it may not be as wise to invoke to accomplish the effort - as it suggests less control over the situation (even if this manifestation is through you, consider the power of the being/force).

This does depend much on your intent, what exactly you seek out of the experience and how you are open to receiving it - it is simply important to choose the method that fits the situation based on your desires or what would manifest the goal most effectively.
When deciding whether invocation or evocation is best for any given situation, be very aware of the nature of the spirit/entity/energy you are going to be dealing with. Do things in a way that feels best to you (and so adding to effectiveness), but while also being fitting to your work.

Invocation can be a truly great experience... some fascinating insight, power, liberation (as well as revolution.. of the mind and soul) can come of it - just know when to apply it, and understand what it truly signifies.
However many times it is not the most appropriate method to apply..taking into account different elements necessary of the form of magick at hand and for the desired outcome (which again, can still be up to the individual to judge based on what exactly is being done) -
but new occultists can *mistakenly* invoke when evocation is best usually as a result of not considering it properly or even knowing the difference it will make, which could lead to some pretty messy results.

This is why the key here is awareness of what you are doing, regardless of how you practice the arts and choose to apply things.

Bella
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angels
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

:applause: :thumbup: Giving you a much deserved bump! & I hope that our newer members will take their time to read this! :candlep: ::bump:: :heart: :hug:

Brightest Blessings!
Wishing you \/ , <3 , & :) always!
Divinita
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

great post, Noc! :thumbup: I too, shall give this a ::bump::

Snakat
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Zodiac:

Great post :thumbup: :applause:
This one of the things everybody should know.

Cell28
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 80
Spelled Number: 300
Your favorite spirit to work with: My custom Servitor
If I could be anything, I would be...: a Shapeshifter
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

Thanks a LOt ,Noctem :applause:
-that was VERY HELPFUL ! :thumbup:

Greetings,Tasha
swannie
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: 0
If I could be anything, I would be...: unknown
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: unknown at this time

As usual, VERY informative!!!! Thanks!!!!!...... :skull:

I've found that evil usually triumphs unless good is VERY, VERY careful.......:skull:

"Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord...." but sometimes a little offered help is appreciated........:skull:

Don't get MAD---get EVEN......... :skull:
ASH
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: HARPY, PROMETHEUS
If I could be anything, I would be...: HUMAN, LOL
My super power would be...: Super speed

GIVE THIS THE ::bump:: BECAUSE I THINK IT'S A WELL THOUGHT OUT ARTICLE & GREAT FOR SHARING

WISHES FOR YOUR DELIGHT,

WHAT I DO ON MY DAYS OFF
DragonScribe
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragons

Good info here and very true. Something I learned the hard way awhile back. An ounce of prevention . . .

Abundance
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Thanks for posting this; I'm going to print it out for reference :thumbup:

AmnesiaReminisced
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: volkh
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Bahliayree
Zodiac:

Thank you for this N! Great information that I will definitely read over a few times.

Cheerz,

:peace: emzy

AmnR

SAGE LYON AZURE

Get some R&R. Everyday, Receive new truth and Reunite yourself.

Return to “Educational Material”