The Importance of Genealogy

Bunni
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Spelled Number: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: Phoenix
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fluffy marshmallow!
My super power would be...: Anti-Gravity

bump

- Bun / Bunni

~Cthulhu fhtagn~

~"All Paths are Riddled Absurdities... Explore them with Great Objectivity."
~"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." A. Einstein
~"The Reverse side also has a Reverse side" Japanese Proverb
DAILY MANTRA ~ "Look Both Ways Before Crossing"
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

brontegrey wrote:My mom start doing genealogy research about thirty years ago. She'd drag us to the library and historical society every weekend for a long time. She has an HUGE amount of info on quite a few branches of both sides of the family, and it's pretty much a melting pot - Scotland, Germany, Spain, England, Sweden, and at least one Native American (a wife who married in with the last name Wolf, I can't remember how long ago). The Swedish side is the closest as far as percentages go - I think my great-grandparents were both from Sweden. However, the side I've always felt the greatest affinity to is the Scottish side. Our family was a sept of Clan Gunn. I have Clan Gunn fabric, a Clan Gunn pin, scarf, badges, and at one point belonged to the society here in the states... I *love* bagpipes and going to Highland Games. If I ever remarry, I've said that I would have to find a bagpipe player. :-) So I agree - knowing where you came from can definitely have an impact on a person.

Then again, I'm also obsessed with all things Greek, and I have zero Greek blood. ;-) I think that comes from a past life. Oh, and I'll try just about any Mediterranean dish. But haggis?? Umm, no. So blood can only take you SO far!

Bronte

WOW. I am a member of the Gunn Clan and descended from Olav the Black. Macallan's Yes. Haggis and Jugged Hare - NO !

My family has been into geneology for years, and for years, I thought it was just egotistical foolishness...but as both my mother Elizabeth and Grandmothers Christine and Natalie and myself grew older, they started a campaign to interest me in this stuff....with discussions of "blood lines" and what the influence physically, Karma, and the then primitive concept that history travels thru the blood from generation to generation - and personally I believe that and also believe that psychism can "travel" too. And then I "jumped into the pont"...

Also, at one pont in the early 1970s, I met an elderly man "Buzzy" O'Connell who was one of the heads of The Knights Templars of Jerusalem who was a big wheel in British geneology, and apparently he proved that anyone whose family had a British background, even if the earliest person came from Italy or Russia or anywhere lese - that they ALL were at least 5th cousins.....I don't know if that is true, but it sure is interesting...

No one has a dull family line. Its all terribly cool!

Caiyros

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
starfire
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 125
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Caiyros & Io-Moon Home wrote:
brontegrey wrote:My mom start doing genealogy research about thirty years ago. She'd drag us to the library and historical society every weekend for a long time. She has an HUGE amount of info on quite a few branches of both sides of the family, and it's pretty much a melting pot - Scotland, Germany, Spain, England, Sweden, and at least one Native American (a wife who married in with the last name Wolf, I can't remember how long ago). The Swedish side is the closest as far as percentages go - I think my great-grandparents were both from Sweden. However, the side I've always felt the greatest affinity to is the Scottish side. Our family was a sept of Clan Gunn. I have Clan Gunn fabric, a Clan Gunn pin, scarf, badges, and at one point belonged to the society here in the states... I *love* bagpipes and going to Highland Games. If I ever remarry, I've said that I would have to find a bagpipe player. :-) So I agree - knowing where you came from can definitely have an impact on a person.

Then again, I'm also obsessed with all things Greek, and I have zero Greek blood. ;-) I think that comes from a past life. Oh, and I'll try just about any Mediterranean dish. But haggis?? Umm, no. So blood can only take you SO far!

Bronte

WOW. I am a member of the Gunn Clan and descended from Olav the Black. Macallan's Yes. Haggis and Jugged Hare - NO !

My family has been into geneology for years, and for years, I thought it was just egotistical foolishness...but as both my mother Elizabeth and Grandmothers Christine and Natalie and myself grew older, they started a campaign to interest me in this stuff....with discussions of "blood lines" and what the influence physically, Karma, and the then primitive concept that history travels thru the blood from generation to generation - and personally I believe that and also believe that psychism can "travel" too. And then I "jumped into the pont"...

Also, at one pont in the early 1970s, I met an elderly man "Buzzy" O'Connell who was one of the heads of The Knights Templars of Jerusalem who was a big wheel in British geneology, and apparently he proved that anyone whose family had a British background, even if the earliest person came from Italy or Russia or anywhere lese - that they ALL were at least 5th cousins.....I don't know if that is true, but it sure is interesting...

No one has a dull family line. Its all terribly cool!

Caiyros
Wow, now that is interesting as some of our relatives came from Britain, as well as Scotland and Ireland!!! Be interesting to know if that was true, some also came from Germany and the Netherlands!!!! :D

starfire ::dragons::

Keeper of many spirits, who I suspect are keeping me instead!!!

Keeper of Thor, my friend and protector
Luminoire
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 0

What an interesting subject!

This is my fathers families crest:

I was born in northern Germany and my roots go back very northern.
In Germany North-Rhine Westfalia, previous Denmark and I believe Sweden.
The yellow and blue colours in the crest suggest Sweden.
My families name is a very old germanic name.

I never occupied myself to much with this topic but find it interesting now!

Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 30
Zodiac:

I keep telling myself that someday I'll get online and get a decent history mapped out. But I never get around to it.

My maternal great-grandmother was the record keeper for my branch of the Family, and after her death (during the funeral) a relative by marriage broke into the house. This woman dragged all of the deceased's tools, books, records, spell items, etc out into the yard and set them ablaze. Apparently she informed the mourners that she "meant to see an end to all this witch business"

To make matters even more complicated both sides of my family have a long history of informal adoptions and multiple aliases, as well as it being common for a married woman to keep her maiden name and the husband to adopt it.

I had hoped to con a relative into doing the work for me, but have so far been unsuccessful.

Amanirense
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 77
Spelled Number: 34
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

I've always been interested in my ancestors. Around this time last year, I did some DNA testing and found out specifically where they all came from. I was surprised at some of the "trace" DNA. It definitely wasn't what I expected, but it definitely explains a lot. Me and my family members have always been regarded as odd wherever we are, and I think it has a lot to do with the influence of these "hidden" ancestors. I've met a cousin, five to six times removed through a DNA testing site, but we can't figure out how we are related, and he's never even heard of my last name. I think plotting out my ancestral line, even with the help of my deceased ancestors will be a lifelong pursuit.

“Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, your attitude when you have everything.” – Unknown

Loki is my homeboy and Heru is my voice of reason.

“Don’t speak unless you can improve the silence.” – Spanish Proverb
Rexielle
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 90
Your favorite spirit to work with: Many different kinds
If I could be anything, I would be...: Shapeshifter
Zodiac:

I would love to start mapping out my genealogy. I really want to utilize ancestry.com, but can't seem to drop the money on it yet. I do know I have a great great grandpa on my dad's side that fought in the Civil War. I also have a great great grandpa on my mom's side who immigrated to America from Ireland. I really want to explore that line!!

Everything in the forest has its season. Where one thing falls, another grows. Maybe not what was there before, but something new and wonderful all the same.

My spirits I am working with this week: (A) Courtwind Angel, (A) English Psy Vampire, (B) Water Rabbit Spirit Guide, (J) Rosemary Elf, (M) Yurei, and (T) Karkadann Shifter
Prinsiippi
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 40
Spelled Number: 63
Zodiac:

My great- grandmother from my mothers side was one of the sami people, and you could see from my mothers father that he had sami- blood in him as well, though it apparently cannot be found from his own family tree. This is the only tree that is possible to study of all of my lineages, other papers burned with the church that has gone up in flames many times. His father had changed their family name, and some now had changed it back to the old name. My granfather had a famous cousin, a writer and a poet, a columnist and a publisher and I think the association to that name might have influenced the name changes. Great-grandmothers side had a scary old lady there, my mother thought she might have been practicing witchcraft, she had another kind of fame.

The fathers side of my family has been dying out, but now there are 143 of us with this family name. I think the number was already below 100 couple of years back. Someone has had babies!

Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

Take whatever current family information , and then sign up on ancestry dot com. It is most useful, and in time just from starting with ancestry dot com, you will come across other geneological resoiurces. I have been lucky, because my family for about 5 generations have been doing it, but even so ancestry dot com gave me enough added info to go aback to approx 500 AD.

Caiyros Arlen

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
Zodiac:

I quite agree! And wow, it seems that many here have been able to trace their familyline far, far back!

Mapping your genealogy is an arduous task indeed, but in the end so very much rewarding. As for myself I have been a hobby genealogist for about 4-5 months now, and the farthest back I have gotten is year 1684 AD on my mother's side of the family.

Just recently started on mapping out my father's side of the family, and there was a ton of info there about my ancestors that I couldn't have foreseen, or possibly have believed before I ventured into genealogical research.

So yeah, genealogy is definitely very exciting, and I am curious and excited as to what more I will be able to unearth and discover about my ancestry!

Return to “Magnolia”