Doppelgänger

Which legends thrill you? Make you wonder? Shaped your beliefs? We'd love to know!
zeddicus
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 17
If I could be anything, I would be...: Moogle
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Aethenudru Railaephos
Zodiac:

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about doppelgängers, know any lore, origins, or encountered doppelgängers or known someone with an experience with doppelgängers?

silus3rd
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 17
Spelled Number: 41
Your favorite spirit to work with: Succubus
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Free Spirit
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Gwen
Zodiac:

zeddicus wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows anything about doppelgängers, know any lore, origins, or encountered doppelgängers or known someone with an experience with doppelgängers?
When I was younger, I used to read up on a lot of old folklore, and stories about this sort of thing. I have, actually, had an experience where I saw someone that looked exactly like my father.. As well I was out alone one day, and was chased by someone that looked like a lot like me... I didn't stick around long enough to find out; I took off and eventually shook him... :dancing:

From what I do remember from when I was younger, it was commonly accepted, apparently, in most folklore tales or old stories, that if one was to see his doppelganger, one would die... hence my not sticking around!

::bump:: for more input!

There's more to the world than what we can see with our eyes.

---> Proud family with: Succubus, Cat Familiar, Owl Familiar, Wraith, Green Dragon, Gryphon, Mermaid, Nympho, Werewolf, Fae, Gold Djinn, 2 Sanguine Vampires, Bronwyn Angel, 2 Phoenix, Kitsune, Peri
Endymion Ink
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: new to this
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: Moon Wisp
My magical/paranormal name...: Proud spiritual brother of Yllektmas
Zodiac:

Have read up a lot on changelings, as short story/novel idea starters...but all folklore, definitely no personal experiences.

Endy

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Everything I write I have lived;
Everything I write is an implication
Of that which I have not..."
- P. M.

"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." - W. B. Yeats
zeddicus
new here
new here
Spelled Number: 17
If I could be anything, I would be...: Moogle
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Aethenudru Railaephos
Zodiac:

silus3rd wrote:
zeddicus wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows anything about doppelgängers, know any lore, origins, or encountered doppelgängers or known someone with an experience with doppelgängers?
When I was younger, I used to read up on a lot of old folklore, and stories about this sort of thing. I have, actually, had an experience where I saw someone that looked exactly like my father.. As well I was out alone one day, and was chased by someone that looked like a lot like me... I didn't stick around long enough to find out; I took off and eventually shook him... :dancing:

From what I do remember from when I was younger, it was commonly accepted, apparently, in most folklore tales or old stories, that if one was to see his doppelganger, one would die... hence my not sticking around!

::bump:: for more input!

Funny that you happened to mention you were chased by someone. It reminded me of an experience earlier when I was around 6. I was at a birthday party and we were playing hide and seek. Of course I was the one trying to find everyone. Thought that I saw a young girl I knew go into the forest, so I ran after her. Of course I kept chasing her as that was the only person I saw, and it wasn't long before I fell down, and when I got back up, she was out of sight. So I spent a good hour and half wondering around a forest in the dark before I found my way out. When I got back out I was greeted by all the kids, when I described what happened, They all said that Maryann(Supposed girl I was chasing) was always inside the house with her parents and never came out. I didn't really think much of it until later when I found out that a young girl drowned in a lake deeper in the forest a decade ago.

Anyways,

From the few sparse articles that I read, Doppelgangers don't necessarily mean your own death, it just means that the foretelling of the death of someone. There were a few theories that I found quite interesting though. Some people suggested that a doppelganger might actually be us from another dimension, timeline, or alternate reality. There are some theories that maybe our carbon copy in the alternate reality is practicing astral travel, and that is why we are able to see 'doppelganger'. Of course it makes for interesting read.

Ikabard
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 12
Spelled Number: 30
Your favorite spirit to work with: Djinn
If I could be anything, I would be...: Djinn
My magical/paranormal name...: Ikabard
Zodiac:

I posted awhile back some information I found and wrote up this real story about it:

Doppelganger is German for "Double Walker" a shadow self that is thought to accompany every person. Traditionally it is said that only the owner can see this phantom self and can be the messenger that death is soon approaching, however occasionally they have been said to be seen by family members or friends resulting in confusing situations.
One of the most famous cases of doppelgangers happened in 1845 and took place in what is now Latvia at an exclusive private girls school called Pensionat von Neuwelcke, where a 32 year old french teacher named Emillie Sagee had her doppelganger appear in front of classrooms of children. In the middle of a class one day she was writing on the blackboard and her exact double appeared behind her, the double did not have any chalk but mimicked her movements and was witnessed by the 13 students in the classroom. A similar incident happened at dinner one evening, appealing behind her the Doppelganger copied her eating actions but had no utensils.
The most astonishing instance of this took place in full view of the entire student body of 42 students on a summer day in 1846 when Emillie could be seen outside in the garden gathering flowers, the rest of the students where inside the hall with clear view of her, the teacher in the room left briefly to speak to the headmaster and the doppelganger appeared in the teachers chair with Emillie still visible outside, the students approached the phantom and tried to touch it but felt great resistance in the air but one student walked through it before it vanished in front of them. Emillie claimed to have never seen the Doppelganger but said she felt drained and fatigued when people claimed it had been around her and people noticed her skin paler and her actions slower and weaker when the doppelganger was in sight.

One of the students where the daughter of one of the Dukes and it was a very prestigious school this happened in so for all the student body to witness this is quite the feat and hard to just ignore, its also strange that even people like Queen Elizabeth I think it was claimed to have seen her doppelganger on the bed closely before she died.

One of my theories is, that since the doppelgangers usually appear before someone dies, maybe its a sort of inbetween of life and death, perhaps your spirit or soul is somehow leaving your body and thats why you appear slow and drained and perhaps that is a sort of battle you are doing to try and get yourself back into your body or you may die, though its just a theory. There seems to be a lot of interesting cases on the topic!

Ika.

Lucinda
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 65
Your favorite spirit to work with: white dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: mermaid
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Rhiannon TideCaw
Zodiac:

Don't mean to highjack, but the title sounds naughty lol. Never heard of them, so no disrespect, just sounds like male anatomy.

My Charging Box,Treasure Cove,Casting Ground, A Granite Alter, My Magickal SanctuaryImageImageImage
psychosiz
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 12

One of the sad things is how games and movies have really distorted what a Doppelgänger is.

Abundance
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

I'm starting to believe we have different aspects of our self dwelling in multi universes where time doesn't matter so to me, a "doppelganger" doesn't have anything to do with being a messenger of death. I was watching one of the Into the Wormhole shows where it was discussed as being somewhat of a parallel universe/quantum reality. I also believe in aspects of the shadow self. Many of the folklore stories I think hold some truths, and were ways that helped explain the unknown
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/through- ... universes/

RavenConspiracy
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 42
Your favorite spirit to work with: high goblins
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Raven
Zodiac:

You know, I just had to look up some of this stuff for someone. I'm only going to post something brief. Some ideas around the world similar to the Doppelgänger in the sense of "alter egos" are the Greek Eidolon, the Egyptian Ka, the Norse Vardøger, Irish Fetch, and the Finnish Etiäinen.

And I'm not knowledgeable at all; this is on the Wiki page for Doppelgänger. :lol: Maybe those names will lead you to some things.

I believe the Fylgia is also a shadow self.

ghaost
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 6
If I could be anything, I would be...: Faery
My magical/paranormal name...: M
Zodiac:

Abraham Lincoln actually said he saw his doppleganger the night before he was killed

Return to “Folklore & Legends”