Vegetable Lamb - Thougths and considerations

Discussion of creatures starting with letters A-J.
cairngorn
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 3

Vegetable lambs confuse me.

Apparently there was a Greek author called Theophrastus who first described them, or rather described small tress that grew wool in India and Arabia. They had no fruit but a pod containing wool about the size of a spring apple. Guess what that could be describing.

Though the word he used for "apple" was "mal-on" which could mean apple, fruit, or sheep. Many people translated it as "sheep" and legends of the lamb's tastiness came later.

I'm really confused. This doesn't seem like there are any known stories about it before the mistranslation. There don't seem to be sightings. Maybe it's an "all fiction exists somewhere" thing. Or an antique escaped thoughtform? I think a thoughtform would have more punch though, be more threatening or sexy.

PrincessKnight
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

cairngorn wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:24 pm Vegetable lambs confuse me.

Apparently there was a Greek author called Theophrastus who first described them, or rather described small tress that grew wool in India and Arabia. They had no fruit but a pod containing wool about the size of a spring apple. Guess what that could be describing.

Though the word he used for "apple" was "mal-on" which could mean apple, fruit, or sheep. Many people translated it as "sheep" and legends of the lamb's tastiness came later.
I think that ancient Greek author was probably talking about cotton flowers :@

Return to “Creatures A-J”