You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fallen angels
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fallen angel
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Azura Rose Jet
Zodiac:

Let's start a discussion purely on the positives of BA. I can't contribute, of course, but I do want to learn. By positives, I don't mean sending a BA entity after your boss because your boss makes you angry or cursing someone who isn't in love with you or any of the other frivolity I've seen. I'd love to learn more about the actual good that can come out of BA practice.

I've asked this before and have learned a lot just from more experienced practitioners like Noc and Lamp... here is an old summary from Lamp on positives:
Lampropeltis wrote:
Terror Misu wrote:Interesting. I'm sure there are many many reasons for BA practice, including protection, and I'm open to hearing them so I can set aside my ignorant views and broaden my mind.

Noctem put it far more brilliantly than I did and as always, has my utmost respect.
Agreed, she was quite well-spoken.

As to your question, there are multiple ethical and constructive reasons to work with BA energy.

1. Janitorial services to fix things that other people have royally screwed up, be it throwing that ring in the volcano, cleaning up after hubristic dabblers, or binding/sending back to Hell highly destructive beings running amok that shouldn't be here in the first place.

2. Protection, ie, 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't' (though 99.99% of the population would be better off using WA/DA for that purpose)

3. A rare few have extraordinarily freakish wiring that allows them to actually prosper when working with BA energy, and acquire the dedication/knowledge to handle it responsibly and not allow it to explode in their (or anyone else's) faces. (the knowledge/dedication would hopefully be acquired well before) (and I do not believe the term 'extraordinarily freakish wiring' to be intolerant, merely a good description of an astonishingly unusual state of being.)

4. While not in itself Black Arts (due to its positive effect,) someone extraordinarily proficient and accurate in working with destructive forces, could aim them at say... a disease (without permitting that energy to affect the ill person) and thereby cure the patient.

2cents
Na'rayah, when you have the time, can you tell us a bit about #4? You mentioned that a demon can kill cancer cells. I find that fascinating.
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

Well, let's see.

BA.. first we must understand what "BA" is all about, everyone will have a slightly different definition.

Much of what others might find to be BA-quality is actually quite neutral. The forces i'm considering, don't have a choice..they are set - pure - but can result in positive outcomes.
Forces of nature are a good example of what i'm talking about.. would you call them DA? You can't. They are pure extremes. So they are either very good or very bad or neither - they just *are*, therefore typically both at once. It's our perception that distorts this and judges based on the conditioned necessity of comfort.
(Both at once does not make them DA, as it is a matter of purity and DA is a muddled middle-ground rather than pure force in neutrality.)

Take Chaos, easiest to allude to. You think CHAOS and, this is so often applied to BA/demonic energies. CHAOS!! DESTRUCTION!!!! Oh no!
But Chaos is entirely neutral. Destruction enables Creation. So, that's a major misappropriation.. yet if a known BA being acts from Chaos, instantly one must reassess their understanding of BA, or of the force in question which is being wielded by a BA entity.

BAs are known as a destructive influence, but destruction is not always a bad thing.

A Black ranking is most appropriately considered as applying to that which bears an inherent inclination to "evil", or that which is "wrong". This would indicate that true BA is not meant in any way to be positive, the conflict is therefore as stated above. Even if natural forces are triggered unnaturally, do they not remain natural forces in essence? The effect can be targeted in direct malice, but not controlled.

There are some attributions which do seem exclusively terrible, vs. others which are neutral in purity as addressed above. Take sickness for example. Yet this is just one aspect, isn't it? And a DA energy can also inflict sickness, as well as most other things that BA can.
The difference is in the constant. This constant motion of the blackest of the dark around you, and certainly not everyone is mentally, physically, or spiritually equipped to deal with that - most aren't.
BA is meant as a pure force, which means it might handle some of these acts more effectively.

Aside from this, positives usually have a lot to do with your personal moral standing. Is revenge cool with you? To great extremes? In terrible ways? Then that would be fine, wouldn't it? There is the karma issue, but if you're ready to be working with BA then it isn't an issue - as in - you are prepared to face it, or don't care (and some have alternative beliefs). Not caring does not negate the knowing necessary, you'll be consumed otherwise.. and may even so.

I believe in an "eye for an eye" in most deserving situations. I find this to be fair and just. If the eye is horrendous, that doesn't make it any less unjust in my mind. It is exactly, what it is.
Michael34786
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: new to this
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: too many to list
Zodiac:

Terror I didn't know you practiced magick. The positive side of the Dark art, is if you practice only white you will come to the point that you have to practice the dark, why. Just like the moon, it has it's light side and dark side. If you want to progress in magick, you need to learn both, energy from outside of the body, as well as the energy from within.
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Also positive just for the sake of knowledge; anyone serious about their metaphysical path should have a relative sphere of knowledge as it's all going to be encountered in SOME way at some point - even if it's just stumbling upon something and needing to understand what it means for anything else to make any sense.. to the potential extreme of full-on encounters.

(And I acknowledge Michael made mention of this as I was typing)

Anyone serious about magick, it's just a need-to-know.. period.
You must understand the darkness and the light; on a broader scale this applies to all of life. We need to take a bite out of the apple, a chomp even.. I concede that not all of us can handle to devour the entire thing, though that would be ideal if survived (this gets down to the red pill/blue pill scenario.. a tangent i'm refraining from). Will leave it at that.
Ghostly Decibels
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fallen angels
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fallen angel
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Azura Rose Jet
Zodiac:

Michael34786 wrote:Terror I didn't know you practiced magick. The positive side of the Dark art, is if you practice only white you will come to the point that you have to practice the dark, why. Just like the moon, it has it's light side and dark side. If you want to progress in magick, you need to learn both, energy from outside of the body, as well as the energy from within.
No, Michael, I dont practice magick, not unless you count invoking spelled items on myself w/the help of my spirits and doing the LBRP...and I don't consider that practicing magick. I do ask a lot of questions to try to get as much education in as possible from practitioners like you and Noc... and what you both are saying makes a heck of a lot of sense.
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

NoctemAeternus wrote: I believe in an "eye for an eye" in most deserving situations. I find this to be fair and just. If the eye is horrendous, that doesn't make it any less unjust in my mind. It is exactly, what it is.
Woah, correction to be made, lol
*"If the eye is horrendous, that doesn't make it any less just in my mind."
Basically - doesn't make it unjust in my view.
Kind of a big difference, was thinking of one thing and typing it differently.
ASH
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: HARPY, PROMETHEUS
If I could be anything, I would be...: HUMAN, LOL
My super power would be...: Super speed

BEFORE I OFFER ANY INFORMATION ON THE SUBJECT I WANT THE DEFINITIONS TO BE CLEAR. BECAUSE IN THE CIRCLES I RUN IN THE BLACK ARTS ARE SPECIFICALLY DEFINED AS THE ACT OF INTENTIONAL MAGICK OR BASICALLY YOUR "FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE" ACTION.

BLACK ARTS & DARK ARTS ARE TWO COMPLETELY & VASTLY DIFFERENT.
WISHES FOR YOUR DELIGHT,

WHAT I DO ON MY DAYS OFF
Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 30
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Michael34786 wrote:if you practice only white you will come to the point that you have to practice the dark, why. Just like the moon, it has it's light side and dark side. If you want to progress in magick, you need to learn both, energy from outside of the body, as well as the energy from within.
Respectfully, I disagree. Having an understanding of the other side doesn't neccessarily require the person to practice such arts/acts.

There are aspects of training that Should be 100% theory and NO actual practice. Knowing how to do something, or Counter something doesn't always require previous personal participation. Just because I wont do something doesn't mean I can't.
Michael34786
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: new to this
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: too many to list
Zodiac:

I didn't say cast. There's a lot too learn from the black arts. Also if somebody was to cast at you, you would have a better understand to how to defend, and return the energy.
suicidex66
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 41
Spelled Number: 66
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Maythen21 wrote:
Michael34786 wrote:if you practice only white you will come to the point that you have to practice the dark, why. Just like the moon, it has it's light side and dark side. If you want to progress in magick, you need to learn both, energy from outside of the body, as well as the energy from within.
Respectfully, I disagree. Having an understanding of the other side doesn't neccessarily require the person to practice such arts/acts.

There are aspects of training that Should be 100% theory and NO actual practice. Knowing how to do something, or Counter something doesn't always require previous personal participation. Just because I wont do something doesn't mean I can't.
Respectfully, I disagree. Having and understanding alone is far from having experience. Just because you have the knowledge of something doesn't mean you have the means to control it or use it to any end. Practice is how you truly learn, Theory will get you nowhere. Think of it this way, if you wait to the very last second, to the point your life might actually be indanger, you think your gonna be in the right mind to harness these energies? Let alone use them properly? If anything you could possibly just quicken your demise and suffering.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Return to “Black Arts”