active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 29
Your favorite spirit to work with: angel,dragon,khodam
If I could be anything, I would be...: angel
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

To people who have selkies, do you have interesting stories or anything else you'd like to tell about yours?

I recently got a custom conjured selkie called M from BunBun. She seems very affectionate and loving. The type you could watch overly sweet romantic movies with and cuddle on sofa. :lol: She seems to have a lowish, soft and a pretty quiet voice. Soothing presence.

My first impressions of her happened when I was at work. I started getting mental impressions of a woman funning her fingertips over my shoulders. I wondered if the conjuration was done and if my selkie was female (both genders would have been fine). I was correct about that, but wrong about her hair color - My first impression was blonde and she has red hair.

What kind of things selkies usually enjoy? I mean other than her suggested offerings (chocolate, rose scents, sex -> I had chosen "sexually active" ;) ) I'm guessing something related with water. Do they generally really enjoy music or am I confusing them with mermaids or sirens with that one?
:mermaid:

Love leading the pilgrim
FeyLady68
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fae
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fae
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Thea or you can just call me Fey
Zodiac:

I don't have selkies but I know a bit about about them from the old legends and lore;

I would think they would love things from the sea like seashells or sea glass.. there is a theme of how much they do not like to be separated from the sea. If you take any beach trips definitely take them with you when you're near the shore and I bet they'd love that.

I would not give them any sea things that incorporate any seal skin necessarily or dried animals like starfish or seahorses.. I'd be careful of owning anything at all made from seal skin. I would think that might make them sad but I suppose you could check with them and see.

Other than the many legends and stories, there is an awesome movie about the Selkies called "The Secret of Roan Inish" and there is an awesome traditional song about them called "The Great Selkie of Sule Skerrie" that you might find interesting.

Quoting wiki on the song:
A woman laments that she does not know her son's father. A man rises up to tell her that he is the father, and that he is a silkie: a man only on the land, a seal in the water. He takes his son, gives her a purse of gold, and predicts that she will marry a gunner, who will shoot both him and their son.

Lyrics

An earthly nourris sits and sings,
And aye she sings, "Ba lilly wean,
Little ken I my bairns father,
Far less the land that he staps in."

Then ane arose at her bed fit,
And a grumly guest I'm sure was he,
Saying "Here am I, thy bairns father,
Although I am not comely."

I am a man upon the land,
I am a silkie in the sea,
And when I'm far frae every strand,
My home it is in Sule Skerry."

“It was na weel”, the maiden cried,
“It was na weel, indeed” quo she,
“For the Great Silkie of Sule Skerrie,
To hae come and aught a bairn to me!”

Then he has taken a purse of gold,
And he has laid it on her knee,
Saying, "give to me, my little young son,
And take thee up thy nouriss fee.

It shall come to pass on a summer's day,
When the sun shines hot on every stone,
That I shall take my little young son,
And teach him for to swim the foam.

And thou shalt marry a proud gunner,
And a very proud gunner I'm sure he'll be,
And the very first shot that e're he shoots,
he'll kill both my young son and me."
An interpolated 5th stanza has also been heard:
'Twas weel eno' the night we met,
When I'd be oot and on my way,
Ye held me close, ye held me tight,
"Just ane mair time ere the break o' day!"

nourris = nurse
ken = know
staps = stops
bed fit = foot of the bed
grumly = strange

best wishes! :D

Best wishes!

Spirit of the Earth... remember...
Spirit of the Sky... remember...
Euphotic
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 29
Your favorite spirit to work with: angel,dragon,khodam
If I could be anything, I would be...: angel

FeyLady68: Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near the sea, but we have a river here so I could take her there. It's a good idea she might enjoy sea glass. I hadn't even thought about that. I'll try to buy some for her or gather myself if I go abroad (I'm keeping my fingers crossed I could go to Rhodes for a week this winter :pray: ). I have some sea glass already, but I've given them to my dragons and they probably wouldn't like me making their stash of it smaller. ;) I also have a blue glass bowl filled with water and some stones around it. I love water and I've been fantasizing for some time already about getting a small indoor water fountain that you can put on the table. They're just pretty expensive and I haven't found one I'd really like yet. Hopefully soon.

I'd never buy anything with seal skin (I do my best to avoid leather anyway). I'm not completely sure, but I think seal products are also illegal in Finland. I wouldn't buy dried seahorses or anything like that either.

Many of those selkie stories seem so sad. :( Them being forced to marry, away from their home, or getting killed. The ones where the skin is stolen remind me of those legends where someone takes a celestial maiden's robe so she can't return to her home. (I don't remember how exactly that legend goes. I think Tanabata is at least one variation of it, but I'm not sure if there are more versions.)

Thankfully I'm not getting a sad vibe about her, more like just soft, affectionate, somewhat seductive and almost hypnotically "underwatery". She's also described a little differently than typical selkie legends. I kind of started to wonder maybe she's something else than how selkies are at least traditionally understood, or maybe she's some kind of subtype. (I need to ask the seller about this if it starts to bother me).

Thanks for mentioning the song and the movie too, I'll check them out. :thumbup:

Love leading the pilgrim
FeyLady68
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fae
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fae
My magical/paranormal name...: Thea or you can just call me Fey
Zodiac:

YW Riira,

I hope you will post about your experiences with your Selkie. Thanks for the info regarding celestial maiden's robe and Tanabata I'll check that out, it sounds interesting.

:)

Best wishes!

Spirit of the Earth... remember...
Spirit of the Sky... remember...
Sequinox
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 1
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: High Elf
My magical/paranormal name...: Sequinox
Zodiac:

I would like more experiences on the selkie. I have a vessel for a rehomed selkie, and I want to know more ways to bond with him. I made a box with shells in blue and purple, with the herb selkies are "supposed" to like. Any other suggestions? I can't find selkie figurines anywhere so I was trying to find seals. Coincidentally, I had a totem reading done, and I now have a seal figurine to work with :) I doubt I will gift it, since it is it's own energy, but I may work with them together.

Actually, as it turns out, it is easy being green.
silversamhain
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 15
Your favorite spirit to work with: gargoyles/dragonoids
If I could be anything, I would be...: a wyvern
My magical/paranormal name...: Caoimhe
Zodiac:

Selkies have been one of my favorite 'mythical' creatures since I was little, from the day I learned what they were! It always made me so tickled to find anyone else who knew what they were, since I'm from Missouri and there aren't a lot of scottish tales told around here :lol: In recent times, I've been working on a novel for several years with a selkie as the main character..... and although I lost the manuscript for it when my computer crashed (aaaaaaaa D: ), I actually now use my selkie character's name as my paranormal/pagan name.... Caoimhe ("kee-vah")! My family always joked that since I'm over half scottish by blood that maybe I had a selkie ancestor or something, though my fear of deep water speaks against that a bit... 3|D

Anyhow, since I learned that there are selkie spirits that participate in spirit keeping, I've been wary to get one but have been greatly tempted. I've always SO loved them since I was a child, but having them 'bound,' even not really trapped, always made me antsy due to their mythology, haha!

Reviving this old thread, does anyone who has kept a selkie long-term have any experiences with them? Has offerings of water and so on been enough to keep them happy in the long run? :mermaid:

truckingon
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 78
Spelled Number: 30
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them
Zodiac:

I have a female Selkie, She is a love :) I have several aquariums so she has plenty of play area and one HUGE comet (white goldfish type fish). She plays with him the most, don't think she much likes my turtle LOL
Not super talkative, but that's ok.. A smile goes a long way :)

silversamhain
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 15
Your favorite spirit to work with: gargoyles/dragonoids
If I could be anything, I would be...: a wyvern
My magical/paranormal name...: Caoimhe
Zodiac:

I never really thought about aquariums I guess. I've got two and a half of those (One 40 gallon long with 3 fancy goldfish (planning to upgrade to a 50 when I'm able to), 1 betta fluval tank, and then as a joke a friend got me some seamonkeys for Christmas) :lol:

I might go ahead and order one the next time there's a sale going on 3D

Rexielle
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 90
Your favorite spirit to work with: Many different kinds
If I could be anything, I would be...: Shapeshifter
Zodiac:

I received a Selkie from Dolphinwings during one of her events, and I've been spending lots of time with him this week. He's very playful and enjoys my sense of humor. He's in his seal form most of the time, but when he's in human form I feel a strong sexual energy from him. I wear his vessel alongside my merman's and they get along well :)

Once I have more experiences with my Selkie I'll start a new thread.

Everything in the forest has its season. Where one thing falls, another grows. Maybe not what was there before, but something new and wonderful all the same.

My spirits I am working with this week: (A) Courtwind Angel, (A) English Psy Vampire, (B) Water Rabbit Spirit Guide, (J) Rosemary Elf, (M) Yurei, and (T) Karkadann Shifter
mara89universe
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: can't chose!
If I could be anything, I would be...: a kitsune =p
Zodiac:

I had a dream where a large seal came, and we chatted like old friends. I woke up and remembered the word "sarif" ..... I Googled that word over and over with different ways of spelling and found nothing. Well it was't until weeks later that I stumbled upon a new seller and she had a selkie for sale, something clicked and I googled "selkie" and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the pics of a seal-person! Sarif...selkie...close enough lol.
Aaaanyways I think I found the one from my dream, not too sure but he's been with me for almost a month, I haven't heard much from him but I've been so busy lately he hasn't really had much of a chance =) I do know he likes it here thanks to a dream.

Return to “Creatures”