Chaos Magick: What it is and How it is done

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

Let's shoot the elephant in the room and get it over with already.
Not that it's so much an elephant in this room, but in 'the' room..yeah.

I notice this has gone undiscussed around here, no one really knows what it is, and likely because it's not a formalized system of any sort. It's entirely unique but it really isn't at all, it is everything it isn't..you're working with a paradox in and of itself, and that's the point. Or is it? Is there a point?

Welcome to Chaos Magick.
Where the hell is this? The most innovative magick out there and nobody cares. Lol?

Basically a practitioner of chaos magick believes in anything necessary to achieve their goal.
Before you speculate how 'wrong' this is, or ineffective it must be, consider the nature of scientific study. Science is a lot to do with experimentation and quantification. Scientists may use proven methods or established elements to meet their goals, but they also have to mix things up in order to find the answers which elude them. Any good scientist should be willing to throw out all that they think they know in favour of advancement. Magick is as technical but a little more complex, what works for one may not always work for another..there is power in consistency but a single method isn't going to reach everywhere you can imagine, so you have to be willing to get your hands a little dirty, apply your creativity.

You cannot, however..necessarily jump in just anywhere and get results. It's not this frivolous ordeal. There is an element of practice to this, as one must familiarize themself with the notion behind chaos magick and become acquainted with personal organization, personal responsibility, and have the capacity to believe in your applications. It takes work to achieve a most fertile state for magick, no matter how you're doing it.

Some seem to act like it's a certain thing, they seek to discover it's secrets as if there's a book to be read that'll explain everything. Not so. I mean some might argue there is, but none of them would direct you to the same source.
It has it's specific 'origins', in sigil magick for one which is why Austin Osman Spare is revered among this crowd..but never really 'existed' until a few ideas came together (Crowley's influence is as present) and the title was coined..it's not a title of specifity, the key is in 'CHAOS'.
What is Chaos? It is a riddle, an illusion, the relativity of the so-called universe, the nonsense and oversense..Chaos is the opposite of Order, meaning it is formless until it has form and otherwise is formless all over again (kind of like how an atom only takes shape upon measurement). There is unpredictability by design, meaning the result is calculated while the ingredients or alignment in the 'spark' are not. So therefore, it isn't to say there is no rhyme or reason, because there has to be..magick is all about intent, it's our very intent and will which controls the whole thing.
'Magick' can happen spontaneously as well, I believe that's still of the chaotic persuasion, but as it's a spawn of collective conscious or unconscious you never know what will come of it (though synchs can indeed be detected if you pay mind).

Possible Misconceptions:

Isn't this just like eclecticism?
Maybe, on steroids. But no, it is not. You may or may not choose to consistently believe in anything utilized in your work, or if it proves consistent quite likely you're not using all parts of it. The aim is to make things happen.

Chaos Magick is black magick.
No.

CHaos Magick is dangerous.
Not inherently so. No more dangerous than any other magick you could practice if you're not smart about it.

Chaos Magick is an ancient thing going back to so and so times and wielded by demons or malicious entities and the like.
No! "Chaotic" magick exists beyond 'CHaos Magic', it is not the same thing. Chaotic, destructive powers can be wielded and have since forever..but do not mistake this for that or blanketly attribute the more terrifying potential to Chaos Magick, which is essentially a modern development (think decades not centuries). Chaos Magick may or may not be dark or destructive, the chaos of it is in it's constant paradigmal shifting or core systemlessness.

Chaos Magick is disrespectful to all established faiths and systems of magick before it.
Absolutely not. Individually speaking, a practitioner is going to love these systems for their inspiration, and anything else they offer. Beyond that it's simply a matter of preference. As for it's presence as a whole, chaos magick could have emerged out of any view/mixed views but it's meant as a liberation of occultists from forced ideals, and an invitation to those who never imagined involving themselves in magick - an alternative, a new perspective.
On that note you can't paint all with the same brush, each involved in this manner of magick are still going to have their unique tastes, opinions and personal truths/inclinations.

Next - How it is done...

Well you have an idea of what it is, and that's actually how it is done as well. So all I'm going to do is point you to the most basic method (altogether as intensive as your desire): Sigils.

What is a sigil? It is a symbol of sorts that represents a certain will you wish to manifest. It can be as simple as wanting to find a penny on the road; as complex as creating a tulpa.
Really you can create it however you want, but there is a known and suggested outline for simplicity's sake...
Write out what it is you are looking to manifest, something with fair enough probability. Like "I want a stray cat to call my own".
Now eliminate the vowels, and eliminate repeating consonants..you're left with: WNT SR C L M
Now take the letters and piece them into some sort of wild design or modest symbol..you've got a unique sigil for a very specific desire.
You can include it in any sort of typical ritual setup. What you're going to do is invest energy into this sigil, believe in it and spend time with it. Place it/copy it wherever you deem appropriate in strengthening it's significance. You're bending reality.

For more on the subject there are quite a few texts and articles out there; some notables are Phil Hine, Peter J Carroll, Robert Anton Wilson, Grant Morrison.. but more than that there are countless sources of relevance which many of you will be aware of already (whether you realise or not) if involved in the occult and otherwise.

So there you have it, that's all folks.

amerced
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 135
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Jifaq
Zodiac:

Thanks for the post Noc. Very informative as usual.

moongypsy
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: dark and white
If I could be anything, I would be...: I like being me
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: moongypsy

Very interesting indeed! Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to seeing any further replies on this subject.

There is a thin line between brilliance and insanity
Ivy Onyx East
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 115
Spelled Number: 150
If I could be anything, I would be...: Grimmy!!
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Mesa Hema
Zodiac:

Thanks for explaining this simply. Makes much more sense to me now!

~Ivy Onyx East (aka: dollybil)
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." -C.W. Leadbeater
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes
Abundance
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Thanks for posting this comprehensive guide Noc. It touches on many things I've wondered about, and made me realize that by using a radionics box which involves creating sigils, using orgone etc, I've been using a type of chaos magick

Vanya GreyCrow
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: ---
If I could be anything, I would be...: ---
My magical/paranormal name...: ---

Noc, i'm probably totally off tangent here...

In the study of chaotic systems i learnt that there is a simple, basic rule/order which arises in every chaotic system. Does a similar principle apply to chaos magic as well?

In seeking Death I learned to live.
'Walk your own path. Seek your own truth.' -- Azrael
'What are words? Words are at once the most powerful and the most powerless things there are.'
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Vanyawen wrote:Noc, i'm probably totally off tangent here...

In the study of chaotic systems i learnt that there is a simple, basic rule/order which arises in every chaotic system. Does a similar principle apply to chaos magic as well?
Very interesting question. I am one who studies Chaos scientifically/mathematically as well.
I think what you pose may be more apparent in inherently chaotic magick or a chaotic force (which I touched on late in the post; and to clarify to all, didn't mean to make it appear the 'big bad' in comparison lol - Chaos is entirely neutral but just happens to be tied to discord and destruction which is a state of upheaval that can be rather violent/dark).

However, it is likely that this is the case on some level in all forms or manifestations of Chaos, chaos magick being one. So in a roundabout way the answer is yes; but in this type of practice the act of magick itself is more outwardly where the element of order comes from, while the source of methodology is the chaotic portion - innovation.
With the process of finding the right combinations, discovering the greatest effectivity I can clearly see a similarity to the pursuance of answers when dealing with quantum physics and so it fits that in chaos magick you could notice certain law-like patterns or a point of consistency (whether it makes a great deal of sense or not) along the way. One obvious example is present in the sigil exercise I've posted, I mentioned to base one's desire in probability..I think the rule of probability at any given time has a significant role.

Vanya GreyCrow
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Your favorite spirit to work with: ---
If I could be anything, I would be...: ---
My magical/paranormal name...: ---

Thanks for explaining, Noc. Very interesting....

I'm fascinated by how order is always striving for a state of chaos, but that through chaos basic order arises. Wonderful.

In seeking Death I learned to live.
'Walk your own path. Seek your own truth.' -- Azrael
'What are words? Words are at once the most powerful and the most powerless things there are.'
VAMPIRELOVER
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: vampire + ifrits
If I could be anything, I would be...: vampire
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Vampirelover
Zodiac:

moongypsy wrote:Very interesting indeed! Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to seeing any further replies on this subject.

Michael34786
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: new to this
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: too many to list
Zodiac: