Perhaps a Philosophical Discussions Section?

Do you have an idea to make the forum better? Easier to use? Submit it!
NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Everyone
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself.
My magical/paranormal name...: KITTY!!!!!!!!
Zodiac:

:ot: GRATS ENDY ON BECOMING BLUE!!!

Oh... and yes, a philosophical section would be FANTASTIC.... but since there are SO many different philosophies (you know, as many as there are people - because let's face it, most of us don't buy completely into one "school" over another...) there would also have to be some tighter regulation going on.

Philosophy is sometimes like religion... people become impassioned, and sooner or later someone has to come along and mop up the blood and make the kids stand in their respective corners until they can play nicely.

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
Killa
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

Endymion Ink wrote:I think this is an awesome idea.

As a side note (and sorrr for momentary thread steal, but want you to see this Killa), i have been and am still unable to start threads, reply to threads (the usual way....the quick reply works), or pm. I'll try to find you on the marketplace in the mean time, til we get it fixed. For now, i get either white screens or error messages.
:offtopic: :ot:
yeah your friend told me of this recently, have you sent in an helpdesk ticket? I will set up a private listing for now, and PM you, so only you can see it. Perhaps we can talk through there. :thumbup:

:D

P.S GRATS ON BLUE!!!! ::bop::

Endymion Ink
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: new to this
Your favorite spirit to work with: immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: Moon Wisp
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Proud spiritual brother of Yllektmas
Zodiac:

Thank you guys, and Killa: Will be watching.

Agree with everything said thus far on the Philo section.

Endy

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Everything I write I have lived;
Everything I write is an implication
Of that which I have not..."
- P. M.

"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." - W. B. Yeats
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

Lemon wrote:

Oh... and yes, a philosophical section would be FANTASTIC.... but since there are SO many different philosophies (you know, as many as there are people - because let's face it, most of us don't buy completely into one "school" over another...) there would also have to be some tighter regulation going on.

Philosophy is sometimes like religion... people become impassioned, and sooner or later someone has to come along and mop up the blood and make the kids stand in their respective corners until they can play nicely.
I know your heart is in the right place and that is NOT trivial. At the same time, if this is going to be a namby-pamby group, I will leave it. SOCRATES gave up his life for his truth, we can be at least thick-skinned enough to stand by what we perceive. So on one side of the issue, I totally disagree, but on the other side of the issue, we might just agree, and that is "childish, hate-humour, and etc."

Think of live debates with presidential candidates......what a a circus....The Presidential Debates s/b renamed "The Big Barnsmell!" (exception: Kennedy & Nixon were both brilliant.....)

A short short story. WHen I was at HArvard, my philosophy prof was a world expert on Plato. His name: Dr. Raphael Demos. We were spending the whole semester just studying Plato (real greek name: Platon which means "Broad Shoulders" which was his professional name as a member of what was AThens' version of the World Wrestling Federation...a wrestler who walked into the Athenian MArketplace where SOcrates and someone else were arguing...He became Socrates best student, as well as the father of organized Western Philosophy, and perhaps the greatest Philosopher ever...)

Meanwhile back at the ranch: SO....at one point Dr. Demos had us studying the "Chapter" in Plato's Republic...called Euthyphro and he asked my "How does Plato define the "Good" in the Euthyphro?"
I had the book open in front of me, and simply repeated what I could easily read: "Plato defines the Good as that which gives the most satisfaction to the most people..."

And Dr. Demos replied: "NO ! You are wrong " - he paused and then said "Plato defines the Good as that which gives the most SATISFACTION to the most people..."

WTF? "Its the same as I said, Dr. Demos...."

"NO, it is not. You must discover, yourself finding the difference between what you said and I say."

I just let it go, figuring I've got 4.0 so far.....I'm cool....and basically forgot about, except for a few times over the progressing years. well, a number of decades later.....I was, this event, now from the past came to mind when I was picking up some stuff in my cabin, and I noticed my copy of Plato in a shelf, pulled it out, and mindlessly went to the Euthyphro, and started reading it...including "THAT passage.." and started to laugh, and suddenly, it was like being mugged,

I GOT IT !

His Great Hint was look beyond the words of Plato, the inexpressible lives there....and also.....get a greek copy (The original greek - not modern greek and look for the dual verb form....(Ancient Greek has 3 forms - singualar - dual - and plural) - Dr Demos had given me the key to Plato and the mystic key to Greek thinking.....and I almost cried as I wanted to drive into Cambridge and thank him ...but I knew he had died at a very old age long ago.

So I add this personal tribute to the creation of such a thread.

http://www.thekingcenter.org/archive/do ... hael-demos

http://www.ditext.com/demos/plato.html

May the blessings of Dr. Demos & Emerson HAll be upon this venture,

Caiyros

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Caiyros -

That was exactly what I meant - that people should absolutely stand by their beliefs, but that someone should be on stand-by to make sure that everyone understands the difference between standing by what you feel to be philosophically true, and being reactive, aggressive, and, as you put it, childish. There is a difference between a reasonable discussion where people agree to disagree, and an irrational, hateful free-for-all...

I would hate to see the latter, but the former... AH! Refreshingly delightful!

Slainte...
Lemon

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
Killa
venerated member
venerated member
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

Mother Magz thought it was great too, so now it's up!

http://www.creepyhollows.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=383

Thank you Everyone for your support! :thumbup:

Sequinox
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 1
If I could be anything, I would be...: High Elf
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Sequinox
Zodiac:

Awesome! Thank you!

Actually, as it turns out, it is easy being green.
NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

:woohoo:

Return to “Forum Suggestions”