Fear Dearg

Discussions on specific races of faeries.
NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Everyone
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself.
My magical/paranormal name...: KITTY!!!!!!!!
Zodiac:

I have recently begun interacting with an unbound Fear Dearg (far darrig), and both Hubby and I have had a lot of trouble sleeping since. Not nightmares... just... really strange dreams and not resting WELL.

After some research last night and today, this is the pertinent information.

He gives bad dreams, he's mischievous, but ultimately, "Despite all his pranks, the Fear Dearc desires only to show favor. He will actually bring luck to those whom he approves of, but cannot resist his teasing and taunting."

Also... the smell of rot I've had going on comes from the fact that he eats that stuff. He looks "very much like a furry rat, with a short, stocky body." "The name of this fat, ugly faery with dark, hairy skin and a long nose and tail means “the Red Man,” in Irish folklore. They tend to dress in dirty tatters and carry a walking stick topped with a skull. They like to eat carrion, the smell of its rotting flesh makes their mouths water. In Munster they are said to be 2 ½’ tall wizened gnomes with long gray hair who dress in scarlet sugarloaf caps and long scarlet coats. In another form they are said to have red hair and like playing gruesome practical jokes on humans. The Fear Dearc of Donegal is dressed all in red, has long red hair, and delights in scaring humans with evil apparitions."

Apparently, he likes to warm himself by the fire, and you have to give him anything he asks for, or he'll be a sign of bad luck to follow - not the cause of it, but a sign of it. But I don't have a fire, and he won't ask for anything.The fear dearg's only required offering is apparently politeness.

Whatever you do, try not to irritate them. Be polite and never refuse a request.

They are considered to be very dark - some qualify them as black arts because of their enjoyment of cruel and gruesome practical jokes. However, they do have a few positive qualities if you can get past the poor quality sleep and set boundaries. They offer help and advice on Faerie, and despite their pranks, they really only wish to show favor, in the form of good luck.

Warning... they are stinky as hell - they smell like rotten eggs, rotten meat, offal, and an outhouse combined. They eat rotten meat and sewage, and they smell like it. They're also rather ugly, opinionated, stubborn, and definitely better off being kept by someone who is advanced in keeping and can handle very dark arts.

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
Morgana
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragon & vampire
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Morgana
Zodiac:

Thanks for the info. This is a new one for me....sounds like a stinky little prankster :sly:
M. :star:

"YOU CANNOT TRAVEL ON THE
PATH UNTIL YOU BECOME
THE PATH ITSELF." Buddha
Endymion Ink
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: Moon Wisp
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Proud spiritual brother of Yllektmas
Zodiac:

They sound incredibly interesting, Raven.
I wont be rushing out for one any time soon....Ive got two little tricky stinkers already :p

But very interesting. Thank ya for sharing!

Endy

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Everything I write I have lived;
Everything I write is an implication
Of that which I have not..."
- P. M.

"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." - W. B. Yeats

Return to “Faery Races”