Sad goodbye to my feral friend

We love fur babies around here! Share your pics & stories!
jasbro07
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: fallen angels
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: lovesclimbingthruwindows
Zodiac:

Little orange boy didn't show up yesterday. Long and orange with huge green eyes; a matted stray.
It took nearly 8 months before he'd even acknowledge me putting his food out before running away. One time, last week, I saw a streak of orange and called out: "wait. I'll get food." So stupid. As it he speaks human. But I saw his green eyes blinking out from behind my stunted Mugo Pine and knew he'd stopped.

I put the food out, not really believing he'd come back. He was too afraid. He always ran.
A minute later I peeked out the long thin window in the front door.
He was there. Eating. He sensed me and looked up...a lingering look....and then went back to the food bowl. It was the first clear look I'd had of him. Up until now he was like one of my spirits; i'd sense his presence or see a blur but that was all.

Our winters are so cold. And there are so many cats; an endless line of strays and ferals looking for shelter and food. I needed to friend him up so I could give him shelter come the winter months. Not tame him. Just offer shelter/food/safety. And then maybe a spay or neuter if possible. Cats rarely last more then 1 or 2 winters here - its just too cold.

Little orange boy didn't show up yesterday but maybe later I hoped. Last evening I agreed to go for a rare trip to Costco. Just for a drive -- a rare impulse.

I came upon him a few blocks from my house. Lying in the middle of the lane. He'd just been hit. The car didn't stop; kept going. A long line of cars drove passed him. a pedestrian had seen it happen - she was looking the other way while grabbing hold of his ear and pulling him off the street. A car managed to stop to let her pass, at least.

Orange boy's eyes were still a most beautiful jewel green but no longer intact in his head. The woman was in hysterics.

This morning, a new tabby with a collar, showed up at his food bowl. Cat's with collars last, usually, a little longer and look a little better then the strays. But it amazes me how many renters move away after a year or two and leave their pets/companions behind.
And then they become 'Orange boy' and show up at my door step. It is an endless cycle. So many lives, cat/dog/birds, even deer, have passed through my door step over the years.

I'm angry. I keep seeing all the cars with human heads inside all impatient to pass the fresh dead thing in the street. No one stops. Had it been busier, had a pedestrian without the kind impulse not been on the scene, they would have driven over the body. It's just a cat. And after the first car does it , it gets easier for the cars (humans) to do the same; drive over the body as if it wasn't real. wasn't a life. My spirit pokes me. ::poke::
She whispers that love isn't the emotion I'm feeling.
Emotion helps to carry love's message - emotion is a language so others can empathize.
Animals read emotion.
Animals empathize.
But love is not the emotion. Emotion is how you communicate it.
The cat is gone. ::poke:: :crying: The emotion (sadness, grief) is not appropriate to the circumstance. The love is still real. It still exists. A life and the love hasn't been erased by others non-awareness of it. And, now, it is a celebration of the existence of the love and the cat's life. The cat/now spirit is reveling in that love. It is real. You loved it. It recognized that love.
The sadness is a judgement on what your eyes see. The love and joy is the heart's truth; it is what lies behind the eyes.
The love is real. :heart:

I wrote this out for me. I don't expect anyone else to understand a crazy cat-woman on the hill that takes in animals while struggling with her judgement over humans. And i really do struggle sometimes. I wrote it out so I would remember, hoping it would stick. The love is real. My pain is my judgement. I knew that. I know that. And I keep forgetting that. And i hope, if there is someone else out there who gets as angry as I do at how easy it is for us humans to ignore the lives about us, both human and animal, while we count our beans, that you might know that you're not alone.
:candle:

ps
i'm just about to hit the enter key and I see the following at the bottom of an email that just arrived:
Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply....for we walk by faith and not by sight.

thanks for the reminder.

'I would rather be whole, then be good.....'
Carl Jung

“Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my Fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past me, I will turn to see Fear’s path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.”
Dune by Frank Herbert
Lucinda
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 65
Your favorite spirit to work with: white dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: mermaid
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Rhiannon TideCaw
Zodiac:

Im so sorry, you were so kind to the dear cat bloody people in the cars.

My Charging Box,Treasure Cove,Casting Ground, A Granite Alter, My Magickal SanctuaryImageImageImage
kenpodragon
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Watcher on the wall
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Darkness from Light
Zodiac:

I am sorry for your loss. Sending energy of comfort your way.

Take a walk on the darker side of life.
Syri
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Rich
My magical/paranormal name...: H
Zodiac:

We are soul mates I believe. :hug: I take care of everyone's animals that go hungry and get kicked out or left behind. Even the bunnies my neighbors kept letting go outside year after year- I sat outside many an hour every day and caught them- and I still have them but found two a forever indoor home. :heart: I am taking care of my neighbor's cat and her litter of kittens on top of the 4 I have in the house who were also mercy rescues. I think momma kitty is expecting again and it makes me want to vomit,but I will take care of them and find a place for them. I took on the responsibility all on my own. End of this month,I have to sit outside and catch ALL of them to go to the vet and get shots/wormed/micro chipped and momma kitty is getting SPAYED! She is hard to catch tho,dangit!!! She is so feral she is suspicious of every move I make. The males and the female kitten are all going to be sterilized so I can halt the process of kitten factory. Just wish I could do it all in one day.

I feel you,I truly do. :hug: You are a wonderful,caring and sweet person. I wish more would follow in example. :heart:

RIP,sweet little Orange Boy. :( :rainbow:

Sincerely,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Weirdo Syri,aka "The Crazy Cat Lady" :mrgreen: Friend of all things dark

jasbro07
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

kenpodragon wrote:I am sorry for your loss. Sending energy of comfort your way.
appreciate it. i also appreciate how life doesn't stop....two new cats arrived this AM as if to ::poke:: me and say 'move on.'
both sad and good cuz we can't sit in sorrow or we grow weak. m2c

Carl Jung

“Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my Fear.
Only I will remain.”
Dune by Frank Herbert
jasbro07
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Syri wrote:We are soul mates I believe. :hug: I take care of everyone's animals that go hungry and get kicked out or left behind. Even the bunnies my neighbors kept letting go outside year after year- I sat outside many an hour every day and caught them- and I still have them but found two a forever indoor home. :heart: I am taking care of my neighbor's cat and her litter of kittens on top of the 4 I have in the house who were also mercy rescues. I think momma kitty is expecting again and it makes me want to vomit,but I will take care of them and find a place for them. I took on the responsibility all on my own. End of this month,I have to sit outside and catch ALL of them to go to the vet and get shots/wormed/micro chipped and momma kitty is getting SPAYED! She is hard to catch tho,dangit!!! She is so feral she is suspicious of every move I make. The males and the female kitten are all going to be sterilized so I can halt the process of kitten factory. Just wish I could do it all in one day.

I feel you,I truly do. :hug: You are a wonderful,caring and sweet person. I wish more would follow in example. :heart:

RIP,sweet little Orange Boy. :( :rainbow:
Yep, we're soul mates. :pray:
my happiest success story was a purebred Siamese cat that had been abandoned and was living in a hole underneath someones porch. she was about a year old but looked half the size she was so thin. I caught her just a day before winter's deepest blast moved in-- she would never have survived it. Spayed, fattened up, a great big smile on her face and a coincidence thrown in as well: a cat lover was looking for a companion for his kitty. an easy and happy ending to that story but it so rare.

all it takes is the sterilization factor and so much suffering could be avoided. i truly start twitching when i hear people won't fix their males because....fill in the blank with something nonsensical. my lizzy borden alter self swarms into view and my axe hand begins to sweat. :wtf:

Next time its freezing cold and i'm still up at 3AM warming cat food and watching over the cat traps so they don't freeze inside i will be thinking of you. :hug:

Carl Jung

I will face my Fear.
Only I will remain.”
Dune by Frank Herbert
Syri
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Rich
My magical/paranormal name...: H
Zodiac:

jasbro07 wrote:Next time its freezing cold and i'm still up at 3AM warming cat food and watching over the cat traps so they don't freeze inside i will be thinking of you. :hug:
AWWWW!! :inlove: :hug: :heart:

About neutering males outside- my vet said it keeps them from wandering off searching for females in heat and also makes them stop wanting to wander around marking territory- but it doesn't do much in helping cease the tom fights. He said those will still happen,but male kitties will stick close to the house. He was right. When I befriended my big fat orange lap baby Stinky he was a torn up mess from the tom fights. Cost me many hundreds in vet bills to get him back in good condition. We got him neutered shortly after the medical procedures were done and he never left the porch. :lol: However he did defend the yard like a lion and kept getting abscess sores all over him which gave him fevers and I got tired of taking him to the vet all the time,so he came inside and was #4. :inlove:

Someone abandoned an awesome kitteh! He is a huge fat lump now. :mrgreen:

Sincerely,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Weirdo Syri,aka "The Crazy Cat Lady" :mrgreen: Friend of all things dark

overthehillfan
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: Still learning that.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Still learning that.
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Eruvanda
Zodiac:

Oh jasbro07! My heart just broke for you. I'm in tears as I write this, I do believe this is one of my callings in this mortal life. To save and or at least Spay/neuter/release as many feral cats as possible.
Blessing be to you, for you were that feral's Earth angel for the time.... :heart:
I have strays, and feral cats come to me everywhere I have ever lived, and even traveled. Just in the last month and a half, I captured, spay/neutered a momma and her two boys, (they are now my back yard 'guard kitties' and have a warm, Igloo style dog house they are getting used to for this upcoming Winter) and for the first time in my life, a puppy sought me out. She was left to die at the I-84 Rest stop by Ontario, Or. in a crate with no food or water....just 7 weeks old. Vet checked, first set of shots and a new "furrever" home was found a couple weeks ago.
I just hope nothing ever happens to my 3 outside feral cats or it will tear me up. In my life I've found, fed, adopted out and/or kept over 50 cats. At this moment I only have 4 indoor only cats and my 3 outdoor feral cats.

BUT BLESSINGS TO YOU....may you forever walk in grace with all creatures who seek your comfort. Image

This planet is not terra firma. It is a delicate flower and it must be cared for. It's lonely. It's small. It's isolated, and there is no resupply. And we are mistreating it. Clearly, the highest loyalty we should have is not to our own country or our own religion or our hometown or even to ourselves. It should be to, number two, the family of man, and number one, the planet at large. This is our home, and this is all we've got.
Scott Carpenter, Mercury 7 astronaut
Nightraven
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 40
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fae
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
Zodiac:

Being an animal lover myself..I feel your pain. :candle:

Phil.

Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore-
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."- Poe
Scordra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 601
Spelled Number: 77
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Elven
My magical/paranormal name...: Scordra
Zodiac:

jasbro07 wrote: I wrote this out for me. I don't expect anyone else to understand a crazy cat-woman on the hill that takes in animals while struggling with her judgement over humans. And i really do struggle sometimes. I wrote it out so I would remember, hoping it would stick. The love is real. My pain is my judgement. I knew that. I know that. And I keep forgetting that. And i hope, if there is someone else out there who gets as angry as I do at how easy it is for us humans to ignore the lives about us, both human and animal, while we count our beans, that you might know that you're not alone.
:candle:

ps
i'm just about to hit the enter key and I see the following at the bottom of an email that just arrived:
Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply....for we walk by faith and not by sight.

thanks for the reminder.

Thank you for a beautiful post! You're right, we're not alone!!! ;) I don't think it's wrong to feel angry as you release the pain (judgment). You recognized what you were going through, very few do.... :candle:

Love & Light,
Scordra

Return to “Paws, Claws, Feathers, Furries & Fins”