Passive Vs. Active Energy and Calming Meditation

Need help learning how to Meditate? Know any tricks on how to achieve it? Post here!
silversamhain
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 15
Your favorite spirit to work with: gargoyles/dragonoids
If I could be anything, I would be...: a wyvern
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Caoimhe
Zodiac:

I found a few meditation and energy threads but none quite fit my theory so I made a new one. I hope you don't mind C:

So lately I've been sensing energy everywhere, flying around like crazy, everywhere I go. At work we're working longer shifts and working harder during those shifts to keep up with tax return season, at college we've reached midterms, and everyone I know is busy rushing around with something.

When we're rushing around like this, from my experience, it can open us up to pure negativity. I'm not one to say everything should be love and light and only white arts, etc., so I will say that perhaps *some* negativity can be a good thing to keep us going and to prevent us from getting bored. Depending on your definition of negativity, this may not make sense to you. In order to bring clarity, I'll explain my view.

I've never really viewed energy as truly positive or negative, but rather Passive vs. Active. There can still be negativity and positivity, such as if someone is in a horrible mood you could call them negative, and vice versa, but the energy itself is not polarized to be 'good' or 'bad.' In its natural state, I don't believe there is any polarization at all -- stored energy has no influence, and just holds our essence. What we do with that energy is what makes it positive/negative or Passive/Active. In my definition, Passive energy is inward, drawing/charging, not acting against something and not forcing stuff out there. It allows things to happen and recycles energy. Based on technical definitions it could be considered 'active' in that it does bring things to you, but in a slower and less focused way. On the flip side, Active energy is forceful, projective, and high-powered/draining and makes things happen. These two types of energy are not just exercised when we are working with the metaphysical, but are in our lives on a day-to-day basis.

In my view, any activity you perform can be either Passive or Active or even a combination of the two. Take for example psychic shielding. If you look at shielding in an Active sense, you are pushing out your energy and power to create a barrier of force around and outside you to pummel or otherwise destroy your target. It is focused in its task, and seeks out someone or something to perform that task. It is moving, and draws your energy. If you shield this way, your work will be done faster -- but you will be drained afterwards. In comparison, Passive shielding would be allowing your personal energy to simply flow around you as it does, and letting it absorb and cleanse whatever is sent your way. Instead of seeking out danger it allows the danger to get to you, and then rather than destroying, it recycles the energy to make it your own. Instead of eating up all your energy, you end up gaining energy from it. The downside to this method is that it isn't as focused, so it might take longer or be prone to backfire if your source of danger is purposefully trying to harm you and knew how to poison their energy in a way your shield couldn't cleanse.

This Passive energy, in my view, is just as important as Active, but our modern society doesn't necessarily hold it as a value, or we don't stop to consider it. What with work, school, relationships, and so on, we place more emphasis on Active lifestyles. Again, there should be Active energy -- just in equal proportion to Passive.

Using a less ethereal example, working customer service could be done in a more Passive manner. You would require Active energy to keep up, but you can substitute certain parts of the Activity for Passivity. To elaborate, instead of pushing your energy through each customer you speak to as I know I've done many a time, you can instead take the energy they push out naturally (do not drain them of energy they are using, obviously) and recycle it and feed on it to make it your own, so that you don't end up so tired. (My psy vampire entity may have had some influence on my concept here, if you can't tell ;) )

Exercise is another fantastic example. You can exercise physically without using all Active energy. When I say that perhaps we focus on too Active a lifestyle, I don't mean a exercise-enriched physically active lifestyle is our culprit. If you are exercising Actively (with that capital 'A'), at the same time that you're spending physical energy, you would be pushing out your spiritual power towards your goal to make your body better-shaped or healthier. Passive exercise would be allowing your physical activity (little 'a') to influence the shape of your body and to heal and relax your mind. Either way, you would end up physically exhausted -- but with Passive exercise, your mind can feel cleansed and awake even if your body is screaming for a bed to collapse in.

When you view energy this way, my earlier statement makes a little more sense. There's nothing wrong with some negativity/Active energy to make us go and to keep us from sitting on the couch sleeping all day. If we are putting out too much of this energy, though, it drains us and makes us feel sick or have otherwise negative reactions. We can jump to conclusions, start petty arguments/fights, make rash or careless decisions, or just leave us like zombies as we struggle to keep up with life. Spiritually speaking, it can leave us vulnerable to outside Active energy that may not be well-intentioned, such as malicious unbound spirit attacks and the like.

My belief is that when we are utilizing Passive energy, we are keeping a balance and allowing ourselves to heal from our equally-needed Active phases.

So, do you feel like you've been too Active lately and want a little pick-me-up on the Passive side? Thankfully, meditation can serve that purpose beautifully C: It clears your mind and allows you to heal your own energy when you focus it to that task.

Here I'll end by explaining one of my favorite Passive/Calming meditations, that I always recommend to anyone fraught with 'negativity.' 8)|*

Begin by sitting or laying comfortably. I can do this on the floor, sitting with my back against the base of my sofa, or sitting in a chair in the breakroom at work -- it doesn't matter where you are, as long as you aren't driving machinery or anything silly like that.

Close your eyes, or if you need a less obvious quick-cleanse, you can even just stare into space and leave your eyes open.

Focus on your core. Feel your energy bubbling in your chest, and note its condition. Is it weak and tired? Is it flowing happily and spreading contented tendrils throughout your body? The better-fed and tended to your energy is, the better you will feel. When we are sick or mentally drained, our energy suffers. Meditations like this can help to build it back up.

Feel your energy's soft, pulsing glow, and feed it. If you feel a particular connection to an element at that time, base your 'feeding' around that. If your energy feels like a little brook, feel the light, cool rain coming down and refilling its shores, thunder rumbling in the distance. If you instead feel leafy tendrils reaching roots into the earth, feel it as they burrow into the warm Earth and take in the delicious nutrients in the soil. If your energy feels like fire, you can feed it logs and twigs scavenged from the underbrush, and delight as the flames find a home in them. If a clear sky is what you find, then feel the soothing wind blow away each cloud effortlessly. If you feel any combination of elements, do what feels right to you.

As your energy grows, let it spread through your limbs and circle your mind, and feel your element(s) fading into pure energy that flows through you. It glows brighter now, and fills you, healthy and happy.

Anything bothering you is absorbed by your energy, and will later be recycled into positive solutions.

You feel nice and cool (or warm, if you prefer) as the energy empowers you. Despite the abundance of energy, you do not feel jittery. It is calm and powerful energy that will wait as long as it has to in order to be utilized for your purposes. It will help you think clearly and will aid your physical body in healing and acting as well.

Focus on the energy flow until you feel completely cleansed. When ready, it is a good time to enact spiritual shielding or any other energy-based spiritual stuff before you open your eyes and get back to regular life C:
My methods aren't particularly standard but they work for me, and based on recent events I figured I might as well share my ideas.

Feel free to contribute! I love discussion. And lol sorry for the massive post!

Amore
neophyte
neophyte

What a beautiful meditation! Thank you. I am going to use this. Tell me if am understanding this correctly...

Imagine you are standing waist deep, in a slow-flowing river. Passive energy would be like moving WITH the current, and using that movement potential for achieving a goal.

Active energy would be going against the current, or making your way UP the river. You are actively putting out that energy and expending it.

Is this right? I've never thought about energy in this way. Your post definitely gives a lot of food for thought. We probably "tire" ourselves out more than we should, a lot of the time, but both "types" of energy have their uses, depending on what it is that you're trying to do.

A little road not made of man,
Enabled of the eye,
Accessible to thill of bee,
Or cart of butterfly.

If town it have, beyond itself,
'Tis that I cannot say;
I only sigh,--no vehicle
Bears me along that way. ~Dickinson
silversamhain
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 15
Your favorite spirit to work with: gargoyles/dragonoids
If I could be anything, I would be...: a wyvern
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Caoimhe
Zodiac:

Amore wrote:What a beautiful meditation! Thank you. I am going to use this. Tell me if am understanding this correctly...

Imagine you are standing waist deep, in a slow-flowing river. Passive energy would be like moving WITH the current, and using that movement potential for achieving a goal.

Active energy would be going against the current, or making your way UP the river. You are actively putting out that energy and expending it.

Is this right? I've never thought about energy in this way. Your post definitely gives a lot of food for thought. We probably "tire" ourselves out more than we should, a lot of the time, but both "types" of energy have their uses, depending on what it is that you're trying to do.
Exactly! Ha, that basically sums up everything I was trying to convey. "Going with the flow" is how I could much more easily describe Passive energy. And yes, Active does have its place there too. If something you need is not drifting towards you, then you do need to move yourself so you can at least be close enough to reach for it ;)

I'm glad my meditation can help C: Do change it however you see fit, because how it is here may not work for everyone. It's just one of my favorite quick little things. Perhaps even adapting a version that uses that river symbolism could work well!

Return to “Meditation”