DA Basics

Resources and links to information on Dark Arts creatures.
EGOTIST
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampires
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

Every few days, I notice a new member of our family coming into our wonderfully diverse family, and it makes me smile at the hopefulness of a more accepting and knowledgeable community, but at the same time slightly worry.

Many of these new members will eventually obtain new companions that have an amount of DA energy that they can't quite grasp or handle at the time, (but over time, will be able to acclimate to) so I wanted to go over the basics to those who probably don't know them.

Most of my friends with me are DA, and I can personally attest that they have been really helpful, but firm and somewhat reserved.

While, they're are DA beings that are more light-hearted, most of my DA companions are somewhat firm, and reserved, but extraordinarily respectful and understanding. They listen to what I have to say, and don't talk down to me, like other Human beings would, which I really appreciate.

So, it's obvious that I would do the same with them.

The first, and foremost basic rule in being a companion to a DA: Be understanding. And I mean it. Not just that, "I totally understand them. They're so cool!" NO. JUST NO. Be honest with yourselves, do you truly understand what your companion's have done in their life?

Because, just like as us humans, they could've done some pretty "nasty" things, at least, through a human's standpoint of morality and ethics. But should you care? YES AND NO. Yes, because it's necessary to see them in their totality as they see you, to ensure that both parties understand, respect, and care for one another in their totalities. No, because, I'm pretty sure that we all have some terrible baggage from this life, or another, so who are we to judge?

Second rule: Don't be afraid. Humans are prone to be afraid of anything out of our sphere or knowledge and rationality. I won't lie, I do get occasionally startled when my companion's decide to manifest, but despite that, I really want to encourage for them to continue. I'm somewhat of an adrenaline junkie, but, I really enjoy their manifestations, because it shows that they're taking their own energy, just to make an impression on the physical realm from theirs.

Third rule: Find time to acclimate. As much as I enjoy using witty remarks, I'd rather not accidentally snap on someone, because of my irritability during energy acclimation. So, I time my companion's arrivals to a date when I know that I won't be interacting with as many people, such as summer or winter break. Usually, energy acclimation differs from being to being, and human to human. But with your first couple of DA beings, it gets easier to gauge your acclimation time. So, it'd be great to time your new companion's arrival with your time away from any necessary social interaction.

Fourth rule: Respect. This rule is obviously a given, no matter whether your companion(s) are DA, WA, or BA. It's a necessity. These beings are most likely more intelligent, and much more experienced in magick, compared to you, so, it's beyond obvious to not talk down to them, and view them as the awesome and incredible beings that they are.

Fifth rule: Don't get a binding of a being you can't handle. If you don't feel like you can't handle a Harpie, but want to get a binding of one .... Well, it's not like you'll die. But you WILL 95% likely, will learn of the intensity of such a heavily DA being the hard way, and not to mention be affected by the acclimation effects, when you were unprepared for their arrival. To me, this is slightly disrespectful to invite a companion into your life, and having them struggling to adjust to you, and you to them, because you didn't take the time to study up, and mentally prepare yourself for their arrival. I kindly ask to think, before taking action. Whether it takes an hour, a day, a week, or months to decide.

Peace & Chaos,

_________

Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Excellent post! :applause: I agree with this. You shouldn't rush into getting a binding if you aren't entirely sure whether you can handle the spirit. I'm personally very cautious about what spirits i choose to keep nowadays.

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
Inedible
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

After years of being here I still haven't seen a good definition of what Dark Arts is. I ask and I keep getting answers about how Dark Arts beings have the ability to cause harm. That sounds great if you have a list of people out there who deserve to be hurt - a hit list of some sort - but I can't see a more general use for having beings around defined by the ability to cause pain. That's what dentists are for. Anyway, maybe one of these days someone can tell me what puts the dark in Dark Arts.

Aprophis
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: Endless
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Inedible wrote:After years of being here I still haven't seen a good definition of what Dark Arts is. I ask and I keep getting answers about how Dark Arts beings have the ability to cause harm. That sounds great if you have a list of people out there who deserve to be hurt - a hit list of some sort - but I can't see a more general use for having beings around defined by the ability to cause pain. That's what dentists are for. Anyway, maybe one of these days someone can tell me what puts the dark in Dark Arts.
Just the ability to decide to do something. Real WA spirits can't hurt anyone in any way, they would never think about it because it's not in their nature. You as human are DA you can decide not to punch someone in the face or punch them in the face or bash their head in. That's what DA is, BA and WA can't decide, they always go one road. BA will always bash the head in because he doesn't know anything else, doesn't want to know anything else, can't know anything else, it's his nature. The same for WA, they can't punch, won't punch, won't consider punching, etc.

Two Roads diverged in a yellow Wood and I took both, for I am Quantum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aksho Kharneth Akhash
Aksho Slaaneth K'Khaa
Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
Aksho Nurgleth Dh'Akh
Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Inedible wrote:After years of being here I still haven't seen a good definition of what Dark Arts is. I ask and I keep getting answers about how Dark Arts beings have the ability to cause harm. That sounds great if you have a list of people out there who deserve to be hurt - a hit list of some sort - but I can't see a more general use for having beings around defined by the ability to cause pain. That's what dentists are for. Anyway, maybe one of these days someone can tell me what puts the dark in Dark Arts.
Dark arts beings aren't really defined by the ability to cause pain. It's about choice. They have the ability to choose a whole range of emotions, beliefs and preferences. Like humans, this runs the whole gamut as humans can experience just about everything. Another race that has a lot of choice, in my opinion, are the djinn who do have a wide range of cultures and systems within their society, as far as i know.
It is arguably also about dark essence. The essence of dark arts gives a whole different type of feel to others that i can't adequately explain. To some it might come as an adreneline rush. To others something different.
That's as far as i have the knowledge or the linguistic aptitude to type on the subject. Hope this helps.
Oh, and what Aprophis said as well.

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
Inedible
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Some people collect poisonous snakes. They like it and maybe the idea of getting bitten adds a thrill to the idea. Eventually some develop allergies because of long term exposure to the venom in small quantities - like while cleaning out the snake home area. The snake can choose to bite, or not. I suppose proper handling techniques would be like house rules. So maybe a cute little rattlesnake would be a dark arts pet. Or a cobra.

In other words, it still all comes down to dark arts being about the ability to hurt or injure.

For what it is worth, I want to make it clear that punching someone in the face doesn't make my top five list of responses to meeting people. I wouldn't expect it from the general population, either. If I wanted a more dark arts kind of person to be my friend I might write to someone in jail. Some people go so far as to have a prison marriage. I wouldn't want to, but I get it that some people do.

In the end, though, it doesn't really matter. I could buy any dark arts or black arts spirit and it would just be a rock to me.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

Aprophis wrote:
Just the ability to decide to do something. Real WA spirits can't hurt anyone in any way, they would never think about it because it's not in their nature. You as human are DA you can decide not to punch someone in the face or punch them in the face or bash their head in. That's what DA is, BA and WA can't decide, they always go one road. BA will always bash the head in because he doesn't know anything else, doesn't want to know anything else, can't know anything else, it's his nature. The same for WA, they can't punch, won't punch, won't consider punching, etc.
The one exemption to this is that there are protective WAs who will most definitely Ruin The Day of an attacker. But they won't use such abilities unprovoked, or out of spite. Nor would they do so on behalf of a keeper who just wanted to cause unprovoked harm for the lulz.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Aprophis
venerated member
venerated member

Inedible wrote:The snake can choose to bite, or not.
The snake doesn't really choose. It's a purely instinctual reaction, it doesn't do it with evil intent. It's not a: 'Hey, I hate that guy, I want to see him suffer' it's more a: 'Ohsh*tohsh*t what's happening, what should I do, I'm scared, ohmygodwhat'shedoingnow*bite*'
Inedible wrote: In other words, it still all comes down to dark arts being about the ability to hurt or injure.
No, it's about the choice to do something. It can as easily be about hugs.
White arts would hug you, DA might or might not hug you, BA wouldn't hug you (unless they want to stab you in the back, cut out your spine and beat you to death with it, but that's not really the purpose of a hug)
Inedible wrote: For what it is worth, I want to make it clear that punching someone in the face doesn't make my top five list of responses to meeting people. I wouldn't expect it from the general population, either.
I never said it was a response to meeting people. It could have been a reaction to something stupid/bad someone did/say. It was purely meant as example.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aksho Kharneth Akhash
Aksho Slaaneth K'Khaa
Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
Aksho Nurgleth Dh'Akh
Aprophis
venerated member
venerated member

Likes2Read wrote: The one exemption to this is that there are protective WAs who will most definitely Ruin The Day of an attacker. But they won't use such abilities unprovoked, or out of spite. Nor would they do so on behalf of a keeper who just wanted to cause unprovoked harm for the lulz.
Yes, because they don't choose to harm, they react to protect and in the case of angels to dish out justice where it's more about balancing scales than doing harm.

Aksho Kharneth Akhash
Aksho Slaaneth K'Khaa
Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
Aksho Nurgleth Dh'Akh
Inedible
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Why define dark arts as the ability to cause pain and then deny that it is all about causing pain? I get that it seems like an oversimplification when I put it the way I do, but that is the definition. Let's say I have a paring knife. I can peel vegetables or I can stab my neighbor. I don't say that my knife is a dark arts tool because it has the ability to hurt people. It is a tool for cooking so I define it as a small, short knife used for detailed kitchen work.

Return to “Dark Arts Information”