The World's First Spirit Keeping Wikipedia

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

aulat wrote:I think having a wiki like page is a pretty good idea its upto you if you let others and input. But I think having more in depth information on the myths, origins, characteristics, looks, interactions and maybe keepers experiences would be pretty awesome.
Just wanted to point out, that's essentially what this forum is for. Lol.

I know when I first became aware of spirit keeping, the first thing I did was scour these forums for information. Albeit it was a lot less than it is now, so easier to sift through.. but you'd be amazed the insight you can find, just by contributing to the forum and using the good ol' search function. It's a cool thing
2wk

aulat
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 44
Spelled Number: 25
Your favorite spirit to work with: unsure
If I could be anything, I would be...: Something Elemental
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Contributed Textual content to the House Rules page. Hope its ok with you NeoStarFire.
http://spiritus-archium.wikia.com/wiki/House_Rules

aulat
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 44
Spelled Number: 25
Your favorite spirit to work with: unsure
If I could be anything, I would be...: Something Elemental
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Noctifera wrote:
aulat wrote:I think having a wiki like page is a pretty good idea its upto you if you let others and input. But I think having more in depth information on the myths, origins, characteristics, looks, interactions and maybe keepers experiences would be pretty awesome.

I know when I first became aware of spirit keeping, the first thing I did was scour these forums for information. Albeit it was a lot less than it is now, so easier to sift through.. but you'd be amazed the insight you can find, just by contributing to the forum and using the good ol' search function. It's a cool thing
2wk

Noctifera, The way that most forums are presented and organized it tends to be like searching for a needle in a hay stack for relevant information, it can take hours if not days to find the right information. Plus a lot of the forms make you sign up for them to even be able to read most of whats posted so you can't do it anonymously. That is why a wiki is a brilliant concept if done right it. Someone can find the information they are looking with references anonymously and only sign up if you want to contribute to the wiki them self's.

One of the problems I have with most sellers and CH's shop and encyclopedia is that it includes rather basic information on the begins and at time quite a bit of fluff. It barely touches on there origins/story/myths and you have to spend quite a bit of time researching for relevant information from may different sources. So if there was a wiki out there that could be used as a starting point with relevant information it would save a lot of time and questions one may have.

Drake
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Don't know yet.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sausage
My super power would be...: Laser-beam eyes
My magical/paranormal name...: Don't know.
Zodiac:

One thing that all those contributing should keep in mind, is that much of what you will be adding are opinions, not fact.
They could be your own opinions, or opinions formed by others who have published them in books, but there is very little "fact" or "proof" when it comes to the meta.
So please consider that when writing or adding to articles.

Also I would strongly advise against allowing advertising on the wiki's articles. Such as with the "house rules" page posted above:
"For those working with dark arts spirits, Creepy Hollows offers a Dark Arts House Rules Binding that you may find helpful."
Perhaps create a section for listing known/active sellers and some of the better/suggested offerings, but plugging sellers on the main articles is just a bad idea.

NeoStarFire
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 67
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Neo Starfire Angelis
Zodiac:

aulat wrote:Contributed Textual content to the House Rules page. Hope its ok with you NeoStarFire.
http://spiritus-archium.wikia.com/wiki/House_Rules
I don't mind. That's what a Wiki is, a community knowledge base. Thank you for contributing!
Drake wrote:One thing that all those contributing should keep in mind, is that much of what you will be adding are opinions, not fact.
They could be your own opinions, or opinions formed by others who have published them in books, but there is very little "fact" or "proof" when it comes to the meta.
So please consider that when writing or adding to articles.

Also I would strongly advise against allowing advertising on the wiki's articles. Such as with the "house rules" page posted above:
"For those working with dark arts spirits, Creepy Hollows offers a Dark Arts House Rules Binding that you may find helpful."
Perhaps create a section for listing known/active sellers and some of the better/suggested offerings, but plugging sellers on the main articles is just a bad idea.
I agree. I've already edited that page. In some instances though, the only source of info for some spirits/entites will be a seller's FAQ page.

Drake
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Don't know yet.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sausage
My super power would be...: Laser-beam eyes
My magical/paranormal name...: Don't know.
Zodiac:

Linking to a seller's site in the reference/source section of a page is one thing, advertising them in the article itself is another.

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

aulat wrote: Noctifera, The way that most forums are presented and organized it tends to be like searching for a needle in a hay stack for relevant information, it can take hours if not days to find the right information. Plus a lot of the forms make you sign up for them to even be able to read most of whats posted so you can't do it anonymously. That is why a wiki is a brilliant concept if done right it. Someone can find the information they are looking with references anonymously and only sign up if you want to contribute to the wiki them self's.

One of the problems I have with most sellers and CH's shop and encyclopedia is that it includes rather basic information on the begins and at time quite a bit of fluff. It barely touches on there origins/story/myths and you have to spend quite a bit of time researching for relevant information from may different sources. So if there was a wiki out there that could be used as a starting point with relevant information it would save a lot of time and questions one may have.

Honestly, and I've said this before but.. I have never, ever had trouble searching for relevant information on this forum. Either lots of people suck at it, or I'm just pro at it. I really don't know at this point, lol.

I stated what I did because, at the end of the day what you will be adding to this wiki will likely consist of varied opinions and if as you suggested, experiences of keepers are added as well, that's just the same as the forum. The forum is organized to discuss different entities, different types of entities, and further organized by energetic alignment, even alphabetical order. If you really look, you will see this effort.. I admit that on the surface things could be better organized, but then that's the effort to make in my personal opinion, rather than starting a whole new platform for information.

This place is a well of all the info you could ever want, need, or ask for and I think if some extra care were put into cleaning up the forum a bit, it would be just what you guys are looking for (minus the Wiki layout). So if I were to vote for anything, my vote's for that.. I've been begging someone to clean up and re-organize this forum a little for quite a while because it seems bloated as it is now, and the organizational efforts that were set are not consistently utilized.

I also don't see a problem in searching for myths and further info, along with having your own experiences to learn from. To some that's an enjoyable part of the process. I definitely get the appeal in linking everything or as much as possible in one place, however.

My primary criticism of this wiki would just be, what sources are being used. Creepy Hollows has the most popular encyclopedia and is trusted to manage it because they have been helming the spirit keeping community from the get-go. I trust the information they offer and are willing to approve.
And my secondary criticism is the above, where I think all that anyone is looking for is actually in this forum.. if it's difficult to access for some I get it, but that makes me think the real effort should be spent on improving the forum.

Just my thoughts!

With that said, I wish those of you contributing to this wiki project luck, as it's a rather ambitious task to build in a way that will be informative, encouraging and neutral.

Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

Noctifera wrote:

2wk

I agree completely, and noting that other sources specifically have vast knoledge in specifc areas, this will only cloud and expand the jungle for finding out clear information, as the Occult-Metaphysical World should have adult, detailed information coming from those people who have really inserted themselves into this realm. You know it gonna happen - a whole bunch of people with limited and wrong knowledge, will just cloudy the entire field and keep many people away from wanting to learn anything.

In the past I have worked for Harvard University and the set-up of varied universities (MIT and so on) make a REALM OF KNOWING balanced and quite open, and the flow of information is accessable, good, and huge.

We have a silimilar situation here, So I vote no and will not contribute to susch a project, and having talked to a number of very knowledgeable occultists, that are friends and work with me, as I do with them, have already said "No".

As for advertising, you cannot advertise in a wiki.

Caiyros Arlen, speaking for the Vajra Syndic (an occuult educational group): Our answer is "No". It is better to read the posts of many people here, such as Noc and others. Much more useful

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
NeoStarFire
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 67
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Neo Starfire Angelis
Zodiac:

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially it is an impossibility." -- Lee DeForest, inventor.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C', the idea must be feasible." -- A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this." -- Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It" Notepads.

"Everyone acquainted with the subject will recognize it as a conspicuous failure." --Henry Morton, president of the Stevens Institute of Technology, on Edison’s light bulb, 1880.

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." --Thomas Edison, 1889.

"The ordinary “horseless carriage” is at present a luxury for the wealthy; and although its price will probably fall in the future, it will never, of course, come into as common use as the bicycle." --Literary Digest, 1899.

"I am tired of all this sort of thing called science here... We have spent millions in that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it should be stopped." --Simon Cameron, U.S. Senator, on the Smithsonian Institute, 1901.

"It's too far-fetched to be considered." --Editor of Scientific American, in a letter to Robert Goddard about Goddard's idea of a rocket-accelerated airplane bomb, 1940 (German V2 missiles came down on London 3 years later).

"Very interesting Whittle, my boy, but it will never work." --Cambridge Aeronautics Professor, when shown Frank Whittle's plan for the jet engine.

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Oh you can make anything happen if you have the time, effort and mind to invest.

However it is an ambitious task as far as info-mining and to me, seems unnecessary so I would just rather see more ambition placed on improving the forum. That's a project I'd be more willing to personally invest in if I had the time, and would like to see.

If people would rather see a new information platform for the spirit keeping community, that's cool but it just won't be ideal or appealing for all of us. That's where I am coming from.

It's not by saying or even by doing that any of the historical instances you note above have taken shape.. it's endurance, commitment, and necessity that made these what they are.
Is the spirit keeping wiki one of it's kind, yes and no.. are those parties involved committed to making it great or is it an impulse that once started, will get neglected?
Will the majority care enough to support that commitment with their contributions and praise? All of these factors are yet to be seen.

So while the idea shouldn't be discouraged, I'm not feeling it's 'one of those things'. Far too early to tell what it's worth. It really depends how the idea evolves and takes shape.

I don't see how it can be realistically compared to the lightbulb, it's not so much an invention. It's taking a platform that already is widely used and applying it to a community that doesn't yet use it, and may or may not have use for it. Or some will and some won't, etc.

As a side note - I myself don't consult any one resource as my sole-source of info. I think it's very important to want to make the effort and be guided by this, take the time to research varying sources and you will discover some unexpected ones along the way.. which could come anywhere from old folk accounts to new grimoires to some experience a stranger told you about the other day.
That is expressly the type of mentality you want to attract in contributions to your project I'm sure, but I don't feel like what crops up on wikis is quite the same as what comes with the process of gathering knowledge independently. I have a fear that people may seek to forgo that and place much more emphasis on convenience than a real, up front education that would help them 'get' it.
Any of us can do it, and come out with unique experience.. all our own.. which would be not just well earned but better comprehended knowledge given the process it took to learn. So my criticism of info-hubs in general is not in the existence of them, but in how people approach the use of them once they are made a resource.

Again, a side note.. maybe irrelevant to the discussion but weighing on some reason for my own disinterest. I'm just kind of indifferent to the idea.

Return to “Spirit Research”