Mental Illness/Sensing Spirits

SeaWitch
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
If I could be anything, I would be...: a mermaid
Zodiac:

It's only been a little over a month since I've begun keeping spirits and I know as someone who naturally is not sensitive to these things and is just beginning, I'm not suddenly going to be seeing things and hearing things and experiencing these amazing full-bodied manifestations. I know it doesn't work that way. However, I have read somewhere (can't remember where) that people who are mentally ill cannot achieve a sensitivity to the supernatural unless they have been treated and it's had me thinking.

I'll be candid with you all for a moment. I've been abused in every sense of the word. Life became meaningless by the time I was 10 and I have not had one day of peace from these memories and the feelings that come with them for over a decade. Sometimes, it's really bad. Like, one time a few years ago, I tried to jump off the roof at work because something triggered my PTSD. And after meeting the worst therapist ever (she actually told me to eat junk food when I'm going through a depressive episode because that will make everything better), I no longer believe it's possible for me to be fixed.

So all that being said, does that mean I'll never be able to sense and properly communicate with my spirits? Will I be spending years trying to improve, only to never achieve my goal? Sometimes, since I can't sense them, I think my spirits have left. Sometimes I think they've sensed I'm too broken and have moved on since there's no point in being around someone who doesn't even know you're there, you know?

Spirit Family
1 Loch Ness, 2 Werewolves, 1 Duojna, 1 Gregori Watcher, 4 Hellhounds, 1 Pegasus, 1 Cwn Annwn, 1 Amarok, 2 Cerberuses, 3 Einherjars, 1 Draugr, 1 Sanguine Vampire, 1 Grim Reaper, 1 T-Rex, 1 Fenrir, 1 Viking Warrior, 1 Wolf Servitor, 1 Mermaid/Vampire Hybrid, 1 Human Assassin, 1 Cu Sith, 1 Okami, 2 Character Bindings, 1 Bone Dragon, 1 Ghostie Alpha, 1 Incubus, 1 Succubus, 1 Wraith
Alikat13
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 5
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Monster
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

I know hat you mean I have really bad mental issues unfortunately but I actually showed my spirits a video of people with bipolar, depression, anger management and other videos like that for them to understand me better by looking at those videos they kind of got teary eyed and apologized because they couldn't understand why I was the way I am so by showing the videos and explaining more they kind of understood a lot more and now try to help me through them by calming me down. There are things that trigger me as well like someone yelling at me (I mean can get anyone really upset but I have anger management issues and violent issues. I went to juvie for a long time because I let my anger get the best of me but I am started to change I feel by my spirits and entities helping me a lot with my issues they calm me down, make me laugh and just so openly encourage me they make everything seem so much better. Also my senses were blocked and some are still blocked because of my issues but they understand and still love me they told me :)

Image. Image I will not self-censor, I will write my dark truth[/size]
Being Both Soft And Strong Is A Combination Very Few Have Mastered
Alikat13
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 5
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Monster

And that's not true about mental illness being a complete blockage either I mean you see how some people are schizo but claim to be talking to their friends (or whatever they prefer to call it), and others who claim to talk to the angels or spirits around them perhaps they're not really crazy but their senses are just way too sensitive for them to handle and that's what isolated them from the real world...

Image. Image I will not self-censor, I will write my dark truth[/size]
Being Both Soft And Strong Is A Combination Very Few Have Mastered
Kaliopia
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 68
Spelled Number: 280
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Kaliopia Amethyst Rayne
Zodiac:

Your spirits knew exactly what they were getting into when they agreed to be bound, so I wouldn't worry about them running off (that's your ego talking). Most likely, they're doing everything they can to help you through these issues.

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

Ay, sorry to hear that, Binaries. Not sure how the counseling went, but there might be a reason why the therapist suggested you to eat junk food. If you don't feel good with that therapist, you might want to find another more suited with your problem and personality. There are spell enchantments and spirits that might help with it as well, if you think it's necessary to support the physical efforts.

About the mental illness, it depends. Clair abilities can sometimes be diagnosed as schizophrenia or similar illnesses, which is why it's a good idea not to announce publicly that you hear or see something, and to exercise grounding, cleansing, and protection regularly.

I would say, if you spend years trying to improve the ability to sense and communicate, you would need to also improve your mental condition. This is important to any metaphysical endeavors, from just meditation fro relaxation to magick casting and spirit communication.

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
Rubyluv
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 20
Spelled Number: 3
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gryphon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Rubyluv
Zodiac:

I have PTSD and panic/anxiety disorder. I was in and out of hospitals from age 19-23. I think the best advice I can say is learn to trust yourself. If you go to therapy and you trust it, stay with it. I unfortunately learned NOT to discuss my spirit sensitivity to my therapist when I went. They don't usually believe and they're trained not to. My biggest obstacles are that I have a tendency to isolate myself. I'd live in my own world if I could; it's where I feel safest. But it's not realistic. And I question communication constantly. Like is this my thoughts or is someone talking to me, that sort of thing. I actually just opened up honestly to N and explained my dilemma. If it's her, I get certain images in my mind or a certain sensation. That's kind of a code we've established so that I can trust it. That might help. Our spirits and entities WANT a relationship and to be trusted. They understand more than we think.

Proud companion of a Gryphon-N, Werewolf-D, Steel Golem, Norse Light Elf-A, Air & Water/Sea Elf Spirit-M, Bird Fairy-Ar, Lion Shifter-Mz, Throne Angel-De, Ice Stag-K, Pegasus-L, Sanguine Vampire-Ke, Barrow Dragon-Mi, Unicorn-An, Owl Familiar-Sc, Avenging Angel-T, Mermaid-Me, Rainbow Dragon-Ag, Raven Familiar-Th, Fairy Godmother-Mia, Snake Familiar-H, Were-Horse-To
Pepper
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Purple Dragon
My magical/paranormal name...: Dragonfly Petal

Darkwing's advice up there ^^ is so good.

I suffer from free-floating anxiety which is a real curse. I take medication for it, which I worried would impact on my ability to communicate with my spirits but it hasn't.

If I don't take the medication then I can't function, so when I first started on my spirit keeping journey (as keen as I was), I did so half-expecting not to be able to bond and communicate with my family, so when I discovered that wasn't the case I was thrilled.

I wouldn't say my journey has been easy ... I do believe the medication has numbed some of my spidey-tingly-senses ... but I've had lots of conversations with my family about this, and have asked them to give me full-on signs so I don't miss them. I don't feel or see (orbs, streaks of light) with all of my family, but I do for most of them - especially my dragons.

There are, of course, entities that can help with your mental illness (as Darkwing suggested) - for me personally, a couple of my Faerie folk have been absolutely amazing in this area. I wear one's vessel continuously because she makes me feel so good.

My understanding is that they will never get bored and wander off ... if they don't feel that they are the right match for you then they will tell you (people usually say their spirit or entity told them in a dream, via pendulum or similar), but they don't just leave you - they want to help you.

I would suggest that you continue to work on yourself by finding a Therapist who offers you what you need, and meditate with each of your spirits/entities on an individual basis daily. Ask them to please give you signs that they are with you; and if you haven't worn their vessel/s for 30-60 days then do that too, talking to them as you go about your day about what you're doing and how you're feeling (just telepathically is fine). Never, ever give up ... you will see manifestations, and/or feel their presence, in due course but some will no doubt take longer than others (I have one entity who I can only 'sort of' sense, despite her having been in my life for almost two years).

I also make offerings (incense, music, etc.,) to my spirits and entities on a very regular basis (not daily, but definitely more than twice-three times a week), just to show them that I care - whether or not they are working on any tasks at that moment. Task-setting is important, too - even if it's just something tiny I try to give them each something to do (but tell them that they're free to go back to their own realm whenever they wish).

Sorry - I'm going on a bit here ... I hope this is helpful in some way. 1sy

"When we are no longer able to change a situation ... we are challenged to change ourselves" - Viktor Frankl

NB: I have 'a lot' of spelled items and 'a lot' of spirits and entities, but the control panel settings won't let me enter a non-numerical value
iamwookie
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 500
Spelled Number: 1000
Zodiac:

Have faith and trust in your spirits.
Ask them to help explain everything to them.
Treat them like the therapist you didn't have they might surprise you.

Spirit Family: Many Different Beings
nezzuo
active contributor
active contributor
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

i've noticed that a large portion of us spirit keepers came into this journey with mental illnesses. some of the most sensitive are ones that, unfortunately, are plagued by those tangles in their brains.
another common theme i've noticed is that each of these keepers' spirit friends are more than willing to help them improve themselves.
i have a nasty lil case of bipolar, but i had a feeling from the start my spirits would want to help me be more stabilized. i was right. somehow, even if i can't directly understand what they're saying/doing to me at times, i almost always feel them during episodes and they somehow calm me down. since starting this journey, my anxiety has decreased veeery significantly, too.
i'm not saying this will happen for everyone, but it seems to happen to just about every fellow spirit keeper i've seen with any issues. i'm not saying they can miraculously fix these problems on their own, either. one must definitely still work to improve. they simply motivate me (which i usually have a terrible time trying on my own) to work on myself. sometimes i believe they even alter events to make them more beneficial for me.
everyones spirit friends and experiences are different of course, but i think overall, your spirits will want to be there for you and hold your hand through this strange life.

no name
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: no anwer
If I could be anything, I would be...: no answer
My magical/paranormal name...: no answer

I suffer from depressions since my teenage years, and I could feel spirits and even see them, before I was treated. Now I am already for 20 years on SSRI's, mostly Seroxat, but my spiritual experiences have not been greater through medication. To be honest, I don't feel my spirits all the time, but sometimes.

Return to “Spirit Keeping”