Ninja hand gestures sharpen the mind and reduce stress

Need help learning how to Meditate? Know any tricks on how to achieve it? Post here!
darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

Forgot about this presentation with cute images : P
https://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/10/18/ ... ce-stress/
Scientific study from Japan proves ninja hand gestures sharpen the mind and reduce stress
Oona McGee - Oct 18, 2016

Next time you’re feeling stressed, act like a ninja and perform these nine simple hand signals.

Whenever we think about the mysterious world of Japanese ninja, images of shuriken throwing stars and houses filled with trap doors dance around in our heads. But there’s actually a lot more to the art of ninjutsu, and one of their most intriguing practices has recently been brought to light as something we can all benefit from, with a scientific study proving just how effective it can be. It’s called the “Kuji Kiri”, or the “Nine Syllables”, a series of hand positions used by ninja as a process of meditation, and according to the findings of an experiment recently shown at THE NINJA exhibition in Tokyo’s Odaiba area, these special hand movements relieve stress while sharpening the mind at the same time.

The study, which was conducted by the Mie University School of Medicine earlier this year, details the findings of two main experiments. The first experiment measured the brain waves and heartbeat of fifteen test subjects, both before and after they made the hand gestures. According to the findings, alpha-2 (α2) waves in the test subjects increased in the following 3 – 30 minutes after making the gestures, indicating a heightened, yet relaxed level of concentration. The beta waves, connected to feelings of annoyance and uneasiness, decreased, and remained lowered for thirty minutes, while the theta waves responsible for deep relaxation also decreased, remaining low for ten minutes.

The second experiment measured the stress response of the subjects for thirty minutes after both making the hand gestures and not making them. The conclusion here showed that alpha-2 (α2) waves rose dramatically after the gestures were made, where they otherwise would have remained stable. On the other hand, the beta waves decreased dramatically, whereas they would have otherwise remained high. According to the group who conducted the study, this indicates that the body goes into a calm, relaxed state while the mind is able to maintain a sharp focus.

This calm-body-sharp-mind state was ideal for ninja, who were required to move with a cat-like covertness while taking part in clandestine missions. The findings of this scientific study, however, show that the ancient art of “Kuji Kiri” remains an important tool today for anyone looking to combat stress in their everyday lives. For an overview of the names and mantras associated with each seal, check out the short video below.
https://youtu.be/vUdSQMk0ujA
And for a look at how to make each of the hand gestures, check out this clip below.
https://youtu.be/r79uHRsQ9TA

Originally a Buddhist practice, this sequence of hand gestures was adopted by the ninja, who used to perform the hand signals twice a day, in the morning and at night, and also before entering enemy territory. Nowadays, the kuji kiri can also be seen in the Shugendo religion and holistic practices like Reiki, but its use is said to benefit a variety of scenarios, from sleepless nights to exam days.

Thanks to the results of this study, now we know that no matter what type of hurdle or stressful task lies ahead of us, there’s no better way to tackle it than like a ninja!

Source: Hamusoku, J-Cast News

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
conxtion
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gods
If I could be anything, I would be...: Above God
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Michael
Zodiac:

I can't press my palms together when the elbows are at the angle as depicted in the pictures. I can only do it when the palms are placed higher up. Maybe I'm just not flexible enough at the wrist.

Can anyone do what the pictures show?

Wealth, Health and Happiness are my nature.
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

Conducting a sequence of these gestures almost instantly worked to bring deeper calm and focus, very interesting practice. Thanks for sharing dw~

Doomguy
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Pinhead Larry
My magical/paranormal name...: Elysis
Zodiac:

OMAE WA MO, WOU SHINDEIRU.

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy.
But you. You will be worse.
Rip and tear, until it is done."
darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

conxtion wrote:I can't press my palms together when the elbows are at the angle as depicted in the pictures. I can only do it when the palms are placed higher up. Maybe I'm just not flexible enough at the wrist.

Can anyone do what the pictures show?
Oo don't force yourself, try it slowly and gradually. And check the video : )

Noctifera wrote:Conducting a sequence of these gestures almost instantly worked to bring deeper calm and focus, very interesting practice. Thanks for sharing dw~
You're welcome : )
While usually each hand seal/mudra is focused and meditated upon one-by-one, there are some that liken the seals as letters or words, thus performing sequences like this one is like chanting mantra or telling stories. Same with yoga or taiji postures etc, there are various fixed combinations to be performed and various particular ways of performing each posture : )
Doomguy wrote:OMAE WA MO, WOU SHINDEIRU.
Heheh, mo wou? : D

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
Dreamerunknown
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process

When I asked a Bujinkan teacher a decade ago he thought that the mudras were culture sensitive.

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Dreamerunknown wrote:When I asked a Bujinkan teacher a decade ago he thought that the mudras were culture sensitive.
Mm what did he mean by culture sensitive?

divineseeker
venerated member
venerated member

Hello,

Interesting post. Will try and see.

Dreamerunknown
neophyte
neophyte

darkwing dook wrote:Mm what did he mean by culture sensitive?
http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comme ... _pointing/

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

?
What's the connection between mudra and kurdaitcha?

Return to “Meditation”