What made average everyday ‘medieval humans’ more open to the paranormal?

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Fireshadow wrote:
ServantofJustice wrote:
‘I was once in an oratory, and [the devil] appeared to me in an abominable form at my left side. Because he spoke to me, I looked particularly at his mouth — which was most frightening. It seemed that a great flame, all bright without shadow, came forth from his body. He told me in a terrifying way that I had really freed myself from his hands but that he would catch me with them again. I was struck with great fear and blessed myself as best I could; he disappeared, but returned right away. This happened to me twice. I didn’t know what to do. There was some holy water there, and I threw it in that direction; he never returned again … I often experience that there is nothing the devils flee from more — without returning — than holy water’.
hihi, the devil running away and never returning because someone throw Holy water at him? Pfft... so Merlins mother would have been saved from the conception by an incubus if someone just threw holy water at it, oh okay... :p
I think we should ask ourselves as if those people truly were in touch with the paranormal, or just had some crazy hallucination. I mean, even if you encounter a lesser demon than the Devil Himself, would holy water really do the trick to scare them away? I don't think my spirits/entities have any problem with me going to church and making the cross on myself with holy water. Maybe they even like it to go and visit Church? You can light a lot of candles in there you know ;-)

I do not think that medieval humans were more connected to the paranormal? In medieval times, they burned over more than a million people, and for what exactly? Because all those millions of people were 'witches'?

My take on it, is that the most connected humans to the paranormal were living in the periods FOR Medieval times. The old Greeks and Romans were more connected to the paranormal no? I mean, the oracle of Delphi? And even, the beginning of the Bible... it happened way before the Medieval times.
And the story I got, is that in the Age of Atlantis people lived in harmony together with all supernatural beings. The library of Alexandrië held all secrets of the world, but it got destroyed and so all its knowledge.
And the story about Camelot & Avalon. So the Isle of Avalon was home to the religion who worsehipped the Godess right? And then the queen Quinevere was more into Christianity and called the druidism a false religion?...

with all those old religions going into hiding, a lot of the paranormal went into hiding as well, is my take on this. So in Medieval times, the paranormal was not the truth anymore... it became darkened by the teachings of the Church. I doubt any medieval person was more open or truly connected with the Paranormal than we are nowadays. Da Vinci, the Templars, maybe they were truly open or connected with the paranormal... but, on the other hand...
And the medieval times for us, are not exactly the same as for the Native Americans and the Native Australians. But well, I need to go with Caiyros his opinion on this, and that is that whenever Church came over, it destroyed a lot of things.

And nowadays, you have exactly the same amount of people who are open to the true paranormal, as back then. The others who worshipped false 'paranormal' became atheists.
Well tbh the church was and has been known to this day as the most powerful or well known paranormal institution everyone can trust. Whenever it came to issues in the past people ran to the priests or the church for protection, and any-all questions about the paranormal was meant to be answered only by the church atleast in Europe.

Not sure what to say but my mother’s level of belief according to people can be very comparable to ‘old times’. She for example believes that black stray cats are evil(Malicious spirits and demons tend to attach to them), sun/day represents good, night or the dark and graveyards are evil places, plus that (A word of warning could be offensive) Muslims can bring misfortune or attract evil beings/spirits. Those kinds of beliefs.

From what I can say is that maybe from the point of average people, the paranormal would sound like something very powerful right? So therefore if something goes wrong it can be easy to blame it on black magick without forementioned knowledge. I used to be quite afraid of the paranormal myself or attribute many happenings maybe, until I got ‘science’ taught to me in high school and encountered ‘average people’ more. Wonder if this was for the better or worst sometimes.

If anybody today still does have this level of belief I would say it’s good to take the opportunity to see where ‘we’ got it wrong, to avoid making the same mistakes on the paranormal that people in the past did?

One more thing though, people in the Middle Ages were also more inclined to believe in the paranormal in general also? See William of Newburgh’s work again, or some reports from the crusaders of seeing angels manifest in the sky?

What about the power of whom you would call God also for example? I felt drawn to the church myself and also saw it as a protection against bad beings/spirits back when I didn’t have ‘science’. Today I still hold some of the view that it’s moral contributions plus teachings are somewhat important in protecting humanity from becoming too cruel/dark.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

If there was for example say in just for a scenario, someday the day comes when ‘the veil’ doesn’t exist, people would simply look to the church for protection again if bad spirits/entities became a problem in that case. To give you an idea, many believed in the paranormal so to say or were really open to both the good and bad?

If I were to be threatened by a bad being/spirit, or felt any risk at being I know I would make the sign of the cross immediately.

Also if the beliefs of the above person(my parent) would count as kind of ‘medieval’ idk how they would influence me now. Since basically I’ve been taught ‘science’ and have exchanged lots of dialogue with ordinary people that hold modern views. I naturally felt drawn to the Roman/Hellenic, Celtic deities then the church/Christianity early on in the spiritual, whilst it was positive just some of the dogma you know might have taken a toll?

I do know when I meditated and opened my eyes to look at the dark when it was pitch black plus whilst doing it at the time my mind was most open I felt fear.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

One of the two black cats I adopted years ago (They're both at the Rainbow Bridge now, and greatly missed) spent time as a stray. She was anything but evil, bellieve me, She was a little love bug who did nothing but purr and lick people with her little sandpaper tongue.

I realize that you can't correct your mom's (or any other person's) mistaken beliefs, but the best you can do is uproot any of these outmoded ideas that might have taken root in yourself before you learned better and more accurate information.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Likes2Read wrote:One of the two black cats I adopted years ago (They're both at the Rainbow Bridge now, and greatly missed) spent time as a stray. She was anything but evil, bellieve me, She was a little love bug who did nothing but purr and lick people with her little sandpaper tongue.

I realize that you can't correct your mom's (or any other person's) mistaken beliefs, but the best you can do is uproot any of these outmoded ideas that might have taken root in yourself before you learned better and more accurate information.
As I meant to say it wasn’t to bash or talk about changing their beliefs, anything. Just brought it up as an example.

So citing this would a person that has the mindset mentioned be as open as say the people this thread covers? I remembered along time ago when I googled the belief in black cats, the search results came up with mostly ‘historical’ stuff.

Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 108
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire
Zodiac:

Hm, how do I say this, by coming to this website, and being on here for almost three years now... I think we need to drawn the line between ' Paranormal' and 'Fairy Tales'.
In my opinion, most things you guys have mentioned now, is more like the Fairy tale equivalent...
and the Paranormal... is something else?

Like the information we got from Ash about Vamps. True Vampires, not the Twilight version or Dracula version. Ash has gives us much information about the Paranormal.
ServantofJustice, you're talking about your mother believes, not to disrespect her at all, but as someone born of Friday the 13th, I don't give much thought about this:' Evil'

I do not think the medieval humans were more open to the paranormal. They were more guided towards their beliefs in Fairy Tales, and mind you, I'm a Christian and everything, but ... I'm not that sort of a Christian.

In my opinion, I stay with the fact that the humans from the Ancient history were more connected and open to the paranormal than the medieval humans. Everything that happened before ( BC), I would say, those were the periods people were in contact with the paranormal and were truly open to it.
Something happened and then they started to believe in fairy tales equivalents. Maybe it was the fall of Atlantis, I'm not sure... but someday, somewhere in history, the paranormal dissapeared... and people started to believe in the fairy tale equivalent.
I doubt an angel just came flying out of the sky and say hi to everyone, and started to safe them. Why would they? I think we need to draw the line here between God& his angels and Humans. You're talking about crusades, that's a very obvious example on how the Pope told lies to the people about God wanting them to do something. God would not want them to go and kill some Muslims. About that, I was reading a book yesterday... maybe there was some sorcerer with them, and did some hocus pocus to make people think there were truly angels overthere.

Give you an example... I'm living in Belgium, and in Belgium we have Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet. He comes around every 6th of December, cause it's his birthday, and than he gives toys to the little children. His best friend, Black Peter, is a funny guy and likes playing jokes. So when I was younger, I totally believed in SinterKlaas and Black Peter. My younger brother and I were so stressed out that night of the 6th of December, cause the Sint and Black Peter would come and put a lot of gifts/toys in our living room.... well I believed it all, till somday the Sint came over to my uncles house, and was going to give me and my cousins some toys... my stephdad was at work or something, and I was with my mother. I saw the Sint, and told my mom:' You know the Sint has exactly the same eyes as my stephdad?!' .... Basically when I was with my dad ( my parents divorced obviously), I kept on the story about Sinterklaas and Black Peter, cause I wouldn't want lose my night to get a lot of toys? XP But my brother came after the truth only two years later when the Sint wrote him a letter explaining the fact that the Sint died in Turkey many centruries ago, and our parents were really giving the gifts. Past forward to my teenage years, I got a baby sister... I do love her and I love how naive she still is. One day, we were in December, and my sister was was all about the belief of Sint and Black Peter. We were in the car, and I told my sister:' Oh MY GOD?!!' Everyone looked at me, and I looked to my sisie with big eyes:' Did you not see it?! Black Peter and the Sint drove just by!' My brother looked a bit stupid at me, but my little sister totally believed me and even said, she saw them as well. My dad just smiled. I had not seen the Sint or Black Peter, but I just loved how happy my sister was looking.

I do believe in the paranormal, and am very gratefull for Ash and Mags to start this site. Because they already explained to me in many topics that there are many fairy tales out there. But Fairy tales only hold a small truth of the Real Paranormal. Sinterklaas did live once, in Turkey, and he was a priest I think. But the legend/fairy tale about him is slighty not enormous different from the guy himself. Your belief can make you see things... that are not really happening? Look to my sisters reaction? She totally believed it? And that time that I was a small kid, had read about the Harry Potter books, went to the bathroom at night, looked in the mirror and thought I saw Lord Voldemort?! Never been so afraid in my entire life as then, I started to tell I was so a follower of Voldemort, and then very silent: 'But I do love you Harry Potter.' I'm first of all female, secondly I was a child of six or seven. The movie about Peter Pan? When Peter says;' I believe in Fairies' cause he wanted to save Tinkerbell from dying, I also did say:' I do believe in Fairies,'...

The Paranormal does exist, and nowadays as many people are truly open to it as during the middle ages. You have the believers, the truth-seekers and the non-believers. For many eons I think this has stayed the same. We on this website are the truth-seekers. The believers are all the little children thinking Santa comes around every Christmas. The non-believers call it nonsense and call themselves Atheists.

Conclusion: I'm basically saying: The Medieval humans, were not MORE OPEN to the paranormal then we are today. It was exactly the same. But most people were probably afraid to be burned at stake, or sent into exile or excommunicated from Church. The Church was a dictator for many years, if Ash and Mags lived during the Middle Ages, they would have been burned at stake. If my brother lived during the middle ages, he would have gotten an exorcisme, cause when he would say:' God doesn't exist, it's all BS,' they would think there had a demon taken him over.

proud to be chosen by so many spirits <3

Whatever is Out There has set my destiny, but I'll walk the way to get there.
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Fireshadow wrote:Hm, how do I say this, by coming to this website, and being on here for almost three years now... I think we need to drawn the line between ' Paranormal' and 'Fairy Tales'.
In my opinion, most things you guys have mentioned now, is more like the Fairy tale equivalent...
and the Paranormal... is something else?

Like the information we got from Ash about Vamps. True Vampires, not the Twilight version or Dracula version. Ash has gives us much information about the Paranormal.
ServantofJustice, you're talking about your mother believes, not to disrespect her at all, but as someone born of Friday the 13th, I don't give much thought about this:' Evil'

I do not think the medieval humans were more open to the paranormal. They were more guided towards their beliefs in Fairy Tales, and mind you, I'm a Christian and everything, but ... I'm not that sort of a Christian.

In my opinion, I stay with the fact that the humans from the Ancient history were more connected and open to the paranormal than the medieval humans. Everything that happened before ( BC), I would say, those were the periods people were in contact with the paranormal and were truly open to it.
Something happened and then they started to believe in fairy tales equivalents. Maybe it was the fall of Atlantis, I'm not sure... but someday, somewhere in history, the paranormal dissapeared... and people started to believe in the fairy tale equivalent.
I doubt an angel just came flying out of the sky and say hi to everyone, and started to safe them. Why would they? I think we need to draw the line here between God& his angels and Humans. You're talking about crusades, that's a very obvious example on how the Pope told lies to the people about God wanting them to do something. God would not want them to go and kill some Muslims. About that, I was reading a book yesterday... maybe there was some sorcerer with them, and did some hocus pocus to make people think there were truly angels overthere.

Give you an example... I'm living in Belgium, and in Belgium we have Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet. He comes around every 6th of December, cause it's his birthday, and than he gives toys to the little children. His best friend, Black Peter, is a funny guy and likes playing jokes. So when I was younger, I totally believed in SinterKlaas and Black Peter. My younger brother and I were so stressed out that night of the 6th of December, cause the Sint and Black Peter would come and put a lot of gifts/toys in our living room.... well I believed it all, till somday the Sint came over to my uncles house, and was going to give me and my cousins some toys... my stephdad was at work or something, and I was with my mother. I saw the Sint, and told my mom:' You know the Sint has exactly the same eyes as my stephdad?!' .... Basically when I was with my dad ( my parents divorced obviously), I kept on the story about Sinterklaas and Black Peter, cause I wouldn't want lose my night to get a lot of toys? XP But my brother came after the truth only two years later when the Sint wrote him a letter explaining the fact that the Sint died in Turkey many centruries ago, and our parents were really giving the gifts. Past forward to my teenage years, I got a baby sister... I do love her and I love how naive she still is. One day, we were in December, and my sister was was all about the belief of Sint and Black Peter. We were in the car, and I told my sister:' Oh MY GOD?!!' Everyone looked at me, and I looked to my sisie with big eyes:' Did you not see it?! Black Peter and the Sint drove just by!' My brother looked a bit stupid at me, but my little sister totally believed me and even said, she saw them as well. My dad just smiled. I had not seen the Sint or Black Peter, but I just loved how happy my sister was looking.

I do believe in the paranormal, and am very gratefull for Ash and Mags to start this site. Because they already explained to me in many topics that there are many fairy tales out there. But Fairy tales only hold a small truth of the Real Paranormal. Sinterklaas did live once, in Turkey, and he was a priest I think. But the legend/fairy tale about him is slighty not enormous different from the guy himself. Your belief can make you see things... that are not really happening? Look to my sisters reaction? She totally believed it? And that time that I was a small kid, had read about the Harry Potter books, went to the bathroom at night, looked in the mirror and thought I saw Lord Voldemort?! Never been so afraid in my entire life as then, I started to tell I was so a follower of Voldemort, and then very silent: 'But I do love you Harry Potter.' I'm first of all female, secondly I was a child of six or seven. The movie about Peter Pan? When Peter says;' I believe in Fairies' cause he wanted to save Tinkerbell from dying, I also did say:' I do believe in Fairies,'...

The Paranormal does exist, and nowadays as many people are truly open to it as during the middle ages. You have the believers, the truth-seekers and the non-believers. For many eons I think this has stayed the same. We on this website are the truth-seekers. The believers are all the little children thinking Santa comes around every Christmas. The non-believers call it nonsense and call themselves Atheists.

Conclusion: I'm basically saying: The Medieval humans, were not MORE OPEN to the paranormal then we are today. It was exactly the same. But most people were probably afraid to be burned at stake, or sent into exile or excommunicated from Church. The Church was a dictator for many years, if Ash and Mags lived during the Middle Ages, they would have been burned at stake. If my brother lived during the middle ages, he would have gotten an exorcisme, cause when he would say:' God doesn't exist, it's all BS,' they would think there had a demon taken him over.
Well villagers in the countryside actually in some examples of medieval history sought people who were good in magic(If not then herbalists) to fix their issues sometimes, or do stuff like “Make me more beautiful/handsome. In certain cases even physical sicknesses, or mind health related ones?

So far as goes for crusades it wasn’t to specifically ‘destroy Muslims’ but to take back the holy land. They wanted to reclaim the city where Jesus died and rose, in plus especially the place you know as the holy sepulchre with the slab where his body lay before resurrection. I know well and even have bought a cross once laid on the sepulchre by some people.

Well now some unsettled question might be like how might vampires not be discovered in a world where information is widely available and moves so quickly? Plus especially with the ID requirements to get around and everything? I have often hung out with communities who receive information fairly quickly idk and often discuss it despite the amount of skeptics there.

The bones part or remnants of societies which L2R speaks about I would like to see answered too on the encyclopedia in the future, by someone well versed or anywhere. Would be interesting because I’ve always been curious.

It’s a mystery yeah.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Fireshadow wrote:
ServantofJustice wrote:
‘I was once in an oratory, and [the devil] appeared to me in an abominable form at my left side. Because he spoke to me, I looked particularly at his mouth — which was most frightening. It seemed that a great flame, all bright without shadow, came forth from his body. He told me in a terrifying way that I had really freed myself from his hands but that he would catch me with them again. I was struck with great fear and blessed myself as best I could; he disappeared, but returned right away. This happened to me twice. I didn’t know what to do. There was some holy water there, and I threw it in that direction; he never returned again … I often experience that there is nothing the devils flee from more — without returning — than holy water’.
with all those old religions going into hiding, a lot of the paranormal went into hiding as well, is my take on this. So in Medieval times, the paranormal was not the truth anymore... it became darkened by the teachings of the Church. I doubt any medieval person was more open or truly connected with the Paranormal than we are nowadays. Da Vinci, the Templars, maybe they were truly open or connected with the paranormal... but, on the other hand...
And the medieval times for us, are not exactly the same as for the Native Americans and the Native Australians. But well, I need to go with Caiyros his opinion on this, and that is that whenever Church came over, it destroyed a lot of things.

And nowadays, you have exactly the same amount of people who are open to the true paranormal, as back then. The others who worshipped false 'paranormal' became atheists.
Nicolas Flamel(The real person) a medieval alchemist though was said to have seen an angel in his dream appear to show him what book contained the secrets to the philosopher’s stone for example?

http://mythical-and-paranormal-blog.blo ... e.html?m=1

I also think with technology plus some of my experience it raises your expectations for everything. Idk if it can be called a form of magic or not. But basically in past times nothing happened instantly until technology came, a phenomenon that people in the past would think of as nearly ‘impossible’.

Like when you get some people coming here they will say mentally “Why can’t this happen instantly like technology can do for me?”

Many of things in life generally required mental discipline just like magick and spirituality does before technology. Such as farming, training with swordship (This is where you get the notion that some who did it meditated( and more.

Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 108
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire
Zodiac:

Well I'm not saying that the medieval humans didn't do magic or didn't experience real magic. Nicolas Flamel is one of those people I consider to be very genuine and not mislead or something.
For the record, I normally don't go around and saying this, but when I was younger I once dreamed about an angel as well. It was a very difficult period for me, in my family, and in my dream the angel told me everything was going to be fine... Well I sometimes complain about this 'everything is going to be fine', but on the other hand, it was a really strange dream about me standing in some sorts of Alhambra ( when I didn't even visited it yet) and some sky clearing up like I just walked into the movie, near the ending of the Lion King. I'm sure people can see angels in visions or dreams, and even so, when we are in serious danger... our Guardian angels have the abbility to show up and protect us.

But like, we ( the Creepy Hollows followers, shop-owners, the whole community) are 'open' to the paranormal. And I'm sure we are not the only ones open to it. But we are not the whole population of today's Timeperiod. And that's what I mean; sure, some were open to it, but it doesn't mean there were MORE open to the Paranormal. ( it was just round and about the same amount of people who were open to it, and some who were kinda crazy acting about it)

And those 10 medieval tales... well, I would say they are just tales. Why: how God and the Devil are being presented. I'm a Christian myself, born and raised, but I got seriously offended by how those tales are representing my God. It's like the Church has represented my God for centruries, like some Idiot Tiran... which is basically the reason as why good Christians become atheists, and the hypocrith Christians stay in their Faith. And I'm not a satanist or something, but even how the Devil is presented... C'mon. I would like Ash or Mags to give more information about Lucifer. Because I doubt he is like some tiny smelly guy with goatlegs, and horns... who would love to bully average humans.

Why would he care to get to Earth and shapesift in some mare woman so he can seduce some saint? I do think he has other things on his mind, like... rulling Hell. But more importantly, I'm going to give the same answer here as in this other threat of yours: How could we know for real? We can discuss, find out, go on investigations, but... how can we prove it? Playing apostle Thomas now ;-)

proud to be chosen by so many spirits <3

Whatever is Out There has set my destiny, but I'll walk the way to get there.
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Somebody told me about this and its strongly relevant I think, watching now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBeZnKMKoc0
Fireshadow wrote:Well I'm not saying that the medieval humans didn't do magic or didn't experience real magic. Nicolas Flamel is one of those people I consider to be very genuine and not mislead or something.
For the record, I normally don't go around and saying this, but when I was younger I once dreamed about an angel as well. It was a very difficult period for me, in my family, and in my dream the angel told me everything was going to be fine... Well I sometimes complain about this 'everything is going to be fine', but on the other hand, it was a really strange dream about me standing in some sorts of Alhambra ( when I didn't even visited it yet) and some sky clearing up like I just walked into the movie, near the ending of the Lion King. I'm sure people can see angels in visions or dreams, and even so, when we are in serious danger... our Guardian angels have the abbility to show up and protect us.

But like, we ( the Creepy Hollows followers, shop-owners, the whole community) are 'open' to the paranormal. And I'm sure we are not the only ones open to it. But we are not the whole population of today's Timeperiod. And that's what I mean; sure, some were open to it, but it doesn't mean there were MORE open to the Paranormal. ( it was just round and about the same amount of people who were open to it, and some who were kinda crazy acting about it)

And those 10 medieval tales... well, I would say they are just tales. Why: how God and the Devil are being presented. I'm a Christian myself, born and raised, but I got seriously offended by how those tales are representing my God. It's like the Church has represented my God for centruries, like some Idiot Tiran... which is basically the reason as why good Christians become atheists, and the hypocrith Christians stay in their Faith. And I'm not a satanist or something, but even how the Devil is presented... C'mon. I would like Ash or Mags to give more information about Lucifer. Because I doubt he is like some tiny smelly guy with goatlegs, and horns... who would love to bully average humans.

Why would he care to get to Earth and shapesift in some mare woman so he can seduce some saint? I do think he has other things on his mind, like... rulling Hell. But more importantly, I'm going to give the same answer here as in this other threat of yours: How could we know for real? We can discuss, find out, go on investigations, but... how can we prove it? Playing apostle Thomas now ;-)
I studied the bible or dwelled on it for time years before coming here and it says that Lucifer/Satan is on Earth and not in Hell, plus that he has dominion over it. Plus revelations says that he will be cast in or chained there once 'his time comes' only.

Return to “Unsolved Mysteries”