What made average everyday ‘medieval humans’ more open to the paranormal?

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Instrument of the end fire083 wrote:
WolfKnight wrote:Something to mention is that medieval humans on average were less ‘empathic’ than modern ones, (or unless the rate would not be as guessed because our use of technology can weaken it from somebody who studied its impacts on brains for the ‘word reading’ part linked to real life reading).

How did medieval humans interact, receive communication or be more open if many were more ‘rough, less empathic’ and other stuff than us on average maybe?

On a server I came into contact somebody who is legit from the countryside and their personality was much less empathic or ‘tougher’ than many of us, as well as highly intelligent for their age maybe slightly exceeding mine almost (Seemed older than they actually were).

Like many medieval people in the countryside were they disliked being ‘too close with strangers’ and preferred to stick to those they know or to themselves (even online mostly).
Medieval humans tended to live within a days travel of a castle. Meaning the majority of them lived close enough to interact much more often. Also empathy and being empathic while not being completely separate ideas are not directly related.
Then again these would most likely be people you grow up knowing or meet and see around in some place everyday (Much like you would in a high school or correctional facility and any other institution)? As for the person I saw in that server they were originally from the deep south of the U.S.

We've kind of seen how they handled or saw strangers, the way they fought wars and also how they handled crime/enemies in life. It also tended to be somewhat more of a 'Might = Right' culture despite following light based religious paths?

What about peasants villagers maybe? Regarding countrysiders would they be an accurate modern day version that could parallel them more?

Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 108
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire
Zodiac:

Alys wrote:Interesting read on the myth of disenchantment: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/johnbecket ... t-lie.html
You want to know something interesting? My brother is a hardcore Atheist, and thinks everyone who believes in any religion is crazy... I tried to tell him I was into spiritkeeping, as it was the secret my friend went around telling to others. But I chose the wrong words to describe it, and he ended up thinking I was almost joining into sects and would be dancing naked around trees, when I mentioned wicca to him.

But now I've even told our younger atheist sister in a very direct way:' I've spirits,' and she went like:' Oh okay' but when I asked her, if I should send them over to protect her, she went like:' No, spirits are scary!!'

So a week ago, I mentioned 'my secret' again to my brother. And told him directly:' Well, it's spirits.' And he went:' Oh, okay.' He didn't mention I was crazy or anything. He just said:' Okay.'

So this read of myth of disenchantment could be correct on this: when we talk about magic, we talk about something else than most people view it. Cause if you go talking about the Gods/Goddesses, fairies, vampires, etc, most will laugh with you and think you're nuts. But when you mention: Ghosts/Spirits to them, you will see them running, trying to hide from all the evil spirits.

Even my mom, she is more rational than me, and keeps reminding me that even if I talk about the Gods with her, I shouldn't mention this to others who would laugh with me. And she is not really so believing in God as I'm. She just believes there is a God I guess. But when I was younger, next to her warning me to stay away from strangers ( cause they might kidnap you), don't walk in the woods alone by night ( cause maybe they will rape you), put your seatbelt on in the car ( cause we might crash and then you die), don't burn candles in the house ( cause the house could catch fire), she also told me;' And don't play with the Ouija bord, cause it's very dangerous. I've heard stories about people dying, houses burning down to the ground, so if anyone is playing with a Ouija bord, you will stay away from it,' -> this made me sit in the couch while my friends played with the Ouija bord. I wasn't the only one sitting in the couch, another friend was sitting next to me, watching with big eyes how the glass moved.

So imagine that :-) You talk about Gods, people laugh, you talk about spirits, People go running away, screaming like hell :p And how many people will really go to the Fortune teller, to have them read your future? Before they go, they will be like: bwah, it's nothing, then they went and go back like:' Eh... you better stay away from it, cause it's really scary.'

Maybe it's just really that the definition of Paranormal has changed a bit over the years, and adapted more to the Modern Time. Cause if we are honest, all the scientists of today, the cars driving all over the world... if you put a person from the 16th centrury in this place, they will think we have all turned into witches and the Devil has totally won. If you look into the myths that surround Hrad Hsouka, you will notice that a person from a centrury ago claimed to dream about 2006 Prague. I'm pretty sure the things he describes are been called CARS.

proud to be chosen by so many spirits <3

Whatever is Out There has set my destiny, but I'll walk the way to get there.
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Alys wrote:Interesting read on the myth of disenchantment: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/johnbecket ... t-lie.html
Nice, what I would like addressed is this. Unless it’s related to a Mandela effect or something why is it that you hear of things like clans of vampires, beings who once inhabited this world and other likes that the various conjurers this community or others know about in their works. From the redcaps of Scotland ranging to Alexander the Great seeing a dragon and the undead (of which were partly the reason it can seem like burial sites can be hard to open from inside or the consecration rituals to prevent metaphysical corruption of the dead).

Stories of forms of magick from the stories that can even have physical effects. The last trace being practical alchemy, people still trying to find the secret solvent used to create things in practical alchemical work.

But today you do not see a trace of them anymore, even with the ‘abundance of information and quick capture that social media/technology can do.

Pretty much the only and last trace you can find of the old paranormal as said are those who do practical alchemy, even then they are kind of former shadows in a way of what they used to be. But the international alchemist lodge exists and some have passed on the tradition.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Here is one of the strongest proofs people in past times could universally experience it better, and infact possibly even physically: https://www.bartleby.com/9/4/1083.html

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

WolfKnight wrote:Here is one of the strongest proofs people in past times could universally experience it better, and infact possibly even physically: https://www.bartleby.com/9/4/1083.html
They're stories that the author heard. Not fit to be called "proof".
What particularly inclines me to believe in their existence is a story which I heard of Curtius Rufus.
Now the following story, which I am going to tell you just as I heard it, is it not more terrible than the former, while quite as wonderful?
This story I believe upon the credit of others; what I am going to mention, I give you upon my own.

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."

Return to “Unsolved Mysteries”