What made average everyday ‘medieval humans’ more open to the paranormal?

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

We are talking average everyday people who somehow ‘saw’ and communicated easier, as well as finding magick also. Do you think pulling our frequencies to match theirs would produce a similar effect, with whatever they might have had in those frequencies?

This was an account from St. Theresa’s autobiography of her encounter for example:

‘I was once in an oratory, and [the devil] appeared to me in an abominable form at my left side. Because he spoke to me, I looked particularly at his mouth — which was most frightening. It seemed that a great flame, all bright without shadow, came forth from his body. He told me in a terrifying way that I had really freed myself from his hands but that he would catch me with them again. I was struck with great fear and blessed myself as best I could; he disappeared, but returned right away. This happened to me twice. I didn’t know what to do. There was some holy water there, and I threw it in that direction; he never returned again … I often experience that there is nothing the devils flee from more — without returning — than holy water’.

Other accounts include cases of normal men being lured into water by certain beings or spirits such as Rusalkas. How did they probably happen or were able to perceive it?

They wrote quite their share of stories or names for them. William of Newburgh documented them in historical works.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

With less scientific knowledge, they were probably ascribing at least some things to the paranormal that were really caused by mundane things. Think of things like washing hands and covering one's mouth when coughing or sneezing, to prevent the spread of germs.

The general openness to paranormal ideas overall, especially when they were seeing patterns but couldn't get to the real root cause of the patterns due to lack of things like microscopes to see bacteria, might have allowed them to see the paranormal in a lot of aspects of life where we might not.

I'm not saying that this is the only thing that left them open to paranormal beliefs. But our education system is so vastly different from what they grew up with, if they even had an education at all. Without majoring in history, we can't even begin to imagine the kinds of things that helped shape their world view. It would be nearly as foreign to us as though it was from another planet.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

Having said all that, I believe that then, as now, there were people with the ability to see into the non-physical realms like St. Theresa and others. Some are canonized saints; others' names are known only to God.

Our science-based world will certainly try to talk pretty much everyone out of believing that there is anything outside of what we can perceive with the standard five senses. So if we want to delve into the non-physical world, we are going to have to withstand a lot of naysaying, Some of us simply choose to fly under the radar and keep our spiritual practices private for this reason. Everyone's mileage may vary.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Likes2Read wrote:With less scientific knowledge, they were probably ascribing at least some things to the paranormal that were really caused by mundane things. Think of things like washing hands and covering one's mouth when coughing or sneezing, to prevent the spread of germs.

The general openness to paranormal ideas overall, especially when they were seeing patterns but couldn't get to the real root cause of the patterns due to lack of things like microscopes to see bacteria, might have allowed them to see the paranormal in a lot of aspects of life where we might not.

I'm not saying that this is the only thing that left them open to paranormal beliefs. But our education system is so vastly different from what they grew up with, if they even had an education at all. Without majoring in history, we can't even begin to imagine the kinds of things that helped shape their world view. It would be nearly as foreign to us as though it was from another planet.
So there's these things that would have been the main thing which shaped them: Their local villages, and people in the community they grew up with(Everybody knew each other), the distinct experiences of their village community and mainly the church which was a centre for that with priest being head often or an elder.

Nature bigger than man, forests and foliage everywhere you go? Can this cause portals?

Also if you heard of a famous person but never met them there were no photos of them, only drawings, words, your impressions or rumors to indicate them.

How were ordinary men probably led into water by beings in some incidents?

Eden's Eve
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 27
Spelled Number: 6
Your favorite spirit to work with: Daemons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

I believe it has to do with being more in touch with their true selves than most humans are today. Thus granting greater access to the third eye. They didn't have all of the technology distractions we have today (like t.v) Over time these distractions can make us lose touch with our inner selves.

Not to get all "conspiracy theories" on you all but, nor were they force fed fluoride from their government into their water systems. Fluoride is well known to play a big part in the calcification of third eye. Many have taken it out of their diets to promote growth and access of their third eye.

This in conjuction with the points that were previously mentioned, I believe it all plays a role in why they were more in tune (able to see and hear spirits) than most humans today.

http://www.edensapple.net Infernal custom conjures and more
Instrument of the end fire083
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 28
Your favorite spirit to work with: Anything willing
If I could be anything, I would be...: High Elven
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Melindrose
Zodiac:

Favorite quote from a fictional character that explains everything about the scientific era. "If you eliminate the impossible, what ever is left however improbable must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes. The problem is that many scientific people have convinced themselves that there is a logical and rational cause for everything. A mondane explanation, when not everything is able to be explained by science.

All my freestyle dancing is essentially magic
To be the left hand of a god.
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

I have one theory I've just come up with.

Maybe essentially 'science' was so reliable and so forth on physical matters such as sickness that people eventually gave it a monopoly over everything that can/cannot happen in our perception.

Everything is reduced to happening on a possibility according to what science defines as 'natural law' allows in our perception. Its considered impossible for anything to happen 'here' and absurd or insane to believe in it if 'scientifically according to the laws of our existence it is not possible'.

Is this perhaps the main component of the 'filter' that caused us to block out happenings from things beyond these laws, by reducing everything and limiting it to what they allow?

I remember before I learnt stuff in mid high school although my cosmology was what you might call 'medieval' there was more of a tendency to believe, even in things like the dead reanimating 'here' on our plane.

This was before people 'debunked' me and said 'its not possible scientifically because the brain/muscles are gone' for example in my notions about the corporeal undead.

Just remembering one of the main things that was used as a bridge to create 'science' as we know it was alchemy, along with many of its practitioners. The works of many alchemists such as Newton who founded science which included references to alchemy were sold or thrown away by the 'science' people. One recipe from newton has been rediscovered, but alchemy is a big reason why we have it.

The spiritual aspects were thrown out and we were only left with the physical ones. According to alchemy everything has a consciousness, and the lowest or most simple form of it are 'elementals' which make up many things including the fire, water, our organs or so on alongside and below development of plants/animals.

I personally believe robots and A.I could be elementals from metal and mineral.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

-For the above, atleast the materialist and 'naturalist' aspect of 'science' grounded in maybe things like 'chemistry' however you would call it.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Head started hurting after writing the above theory.

Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 108
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire
Zodiac:

ServantofJustice wrote:
‘I was once in an oratory, and [the devil] appeared to me in an abominable form at my left side. Because he spoke to me, I looked particularly at his mouth — which was most frightening. It seemed that a great flame, all bright without shadow, came forth from his body. He told me in a terrifying way that I had really freed myself from his hands but that he would catch me with them again. I was struck with great fear and blessed myself as best I could; he disappeared, but returned right away. This happened to me twice. I didn’t know what to do. There was some holy water there, and I threw it in that direction; he never returned again … I often experience that there is nothing the devils flee from more — without returning — than holy water’.
hihi, the devil running away and never returning because someone throw Holy water at him? Pfft... so Merlins mother would have been saved from the conception by an incubus if someone just threw holy water at it, oh okay... :p
I think we should ask ourselves as if those people truly were in touch with the paranormal, or just had some crazy hallucination. I mean, even if you encounter a lesser demon than the Devil Himself, would holy water really do the trick to scare them away? I don't think my spirits/entities have any problem with me going to church and making the cross on myself with holy water. Maybe they even like it to go and visit Church? You can light a lot of candles in there you know ;-)

I do not think that medieval humans were more connected to the paranormal? In medieval times, they burned over more than a million people, and for what exactly? Because all those millions of people were 'witches'?

My take on it, is that the most connected humans to the paranormal were living in the periods FOR Medieval times. The old Greeks and Romans were more connected to the paranormal no? I mean, the oracle of Delphi? And even, the beginning of the Bible... it happened way before the Medieval times.
And the story I got, is that in the Age of Atlantis people lived in harmony together with all supernatural beings. The library of Alexandrië held all secrets of the world, but it got destroyed and so all its knowledge.
And the story about Camelot & Avalon. So the Isle of Avalon was home to the religion who worsehipped the Godess right? And then the queen Quinevere was more into Christianity and called the druidism a false religion?...

with all those old religions going into hiding, a lot of the paranormal went into hiding as well, is my take on this. So in Medieval times, the paranormal was not the truth anymore... it became darkened by the teachings of the Church. I doubt any medieval person was more open or truly connected with the Paranormal than we are nowadays. Da Vinci, the Templars, maybe they were truly open or connected with the paranormal... but, on the other hand...
And the medieval times for us, are not exactly the same as for the Native Americans and the Native Australians. But well, I need to go with Caiyros his opinion on this, and that is that whenever Church came over, it destroyed a lot of things.

And nowadays, you have exactly the same amount of people who are open to the true paranormal, as back then. The others who worshipped false 'paranormal' became atheists.

proud to be chosen by so many spirits <3

Whatever is Out There has set my destiny, but I'll walk the way to get there.

Return to “Unsolved Mysteries”