'Flying Ointment' supposedly makes you 'astral travel'? Thoughts on it?

Which ones do you love to work with? Or, which ones do you have questions about?
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

There is apparently an alchemical formula called flying ointment which was used for astral travel or opening up senses in the 'middle ages'.

However the shortcomings is it being toxic somewhat due to using ingredients like Belladonna, Henbane and Fly Agaric? The ointment is rubbed onto a certain part of your body and switches off the 'filters' in you somehow in theory.

What are your thoughts on Flying Ointments in general if they aren't 'hallucinogens'?

RavenConspiracy
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 42
Your favorite spirit to work with: high goblins
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Raven
Zodiac:

Flying ointment is well established and is still used today. You can actually buy flying ointment online.

The poisons produce something not quite like a high, I'm told, but a dazedness that assists witches in flying to the Sabbat mound. And yes, they do often use psychoactive herbs to achieve this. They usually are hallucinogenic.

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

I use 'flying ointment'/salves in my practice. As stated, there is a well established history on them.

While the path of using poisonous plants is not for everyone, working with the plant spirits and developing a relationship with them means very little to no downside for those initiated into their mysteries and can to this day merit very nice experiences in ritual. There is a good deal of fear-mongering out there when it comes to the poison plants which I do not altogether agree with, they are complex.

It is the ecstatic stimuli of ritual, coupled with the salve which typically helps it 'take off' into something more than an intoxication. Usually one will imbue their salve with intent, also heightening it's directive. I treat the plants as sentient (as well they should be) and they respond to me through usage. However as far as leading to astral projection, it's not quite that simple.. the plants bestow what they wish to, which may or may not relate to astral. There is an alteration of the consciousness, which complements your focus. The application of the salve can also be used in honoring particular deities, spirits or forces who respect and respond well to the plants therein.

A proper salve would not trip you out or anything like that, it is meant as a ritualistic disinhibitor to raise nuances to your perception which may otherwise not be appreciated. That is putting it very basically though.

For a solid modern resource on the subject, Sarah Lawless is a well known one.

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

And I guess for the record I should include that yes, it has led into astral travel for me before, but there were a number of factors involved as there typically are.

Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals
Zodiac:

Personally, I did not notice any effect on me.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

RavenConspiracy wrote:Flying ointment is well established and is still used today. You can actually buy flying ointment online.

The poisons produce something not quite like a high, I'm told, but a dazedness that assists witches in flying to the Sabbat mound. And yes, they do often use psychoactive herbs to achieve this. They usually are hallucinogenic.
So confirming, are they supposed to make your physical self or own senses less affected by the thing people call 'the veil'? Apparently I read somewhere its what they do.

I read the goal of many past alchemists alongside the 'philosopher's stone' was to find a way to do that.

If a person does that like Aurum might have said he tried and still doesn't notice changes could it be something else?

Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals
Zodiac:

ServantofJustice wrote:
If a person does that like Aurum might have said he tried and still doesn't notice changes could it be something else?
Maybe it doesn't just produce any effects on some people. It seems many things that work on other people don't work on me for some reason.
Aurum is a she, by the way 2wk

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Maybe you should try flying ointment yourself and see what you find, Serv. Same with working alchemy. At some point you need to start getting hands-on rather than just asking everyone what they think, if you really want to know the answers lol.

To what Aurum brought forward I did mean to add actually that salves don't have a noticeable effect for everyone, as well; on that note this is something that can change depending on the day or time you use them or the particularity of your biological chemistry at the time.

Samsara
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 21
Spelled Number: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: Nebs Angel Watchers
If I could be anything, I would be...: Goddess
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

Aurum wrote:Personally, I did not notice any effect on me.
Same.

"Man is what he sees in other people."
JennJen35
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 25
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human,Fae, angels
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel or Fae
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: JennJen
Zodiac:

I have a few flying ointments from sellers on Etsy and they made me feel a little out of it for awhile, I haven't tried them yet for astral Travel yet but could see they could be used for it,I put the ointment on my 3rd eye,wrists and ankles all small amounts. I also brought home a belladonna seeds and a few other seeds/plants that I will be working with after doing more research. I also work with Perfume oils, and Essential Oils too and crystal chip stones too!!.I agree maybe see if you can buy a few flying ointments only put a little on your 3rd eye and see how you feel afterwards. everyone is different with different experiences. :)

Return to “Herbs/Minerals/Oils”