The real Nicolas Flamel, alchemist who discovered the philosopher’s stone

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Nicholas Flamel’s Early Life

“Nicholas Flamel was born somewhere in France in 1330. From early adulthood, he earned his living as a bookseller, starting from a small stall near the Cathedral of Saint-Jacques la Boucherie in Paris. A humble trade, but it provided him with the ability to read and write – fairly rare skills in that day and age.

Flamel’s business grew over the years, and he bought a house in the old rue de Marivaux. Copyists and illustrators did their work on the ground floor, and Flamel conducted his business from there. Somewhere along the line, he met his wife Perenelle, with whom he would spend the rest of his life.

Nicholas Flamel had acquired some knowledge of the ancient art of alchemy. He dreamed, like many others, of discovering the Philosopher’s Stone. However, it was not unlimited gold he was after. Rather, he dreamed of finding the fundamental secrets of nature through the Stone. In other words, perfect wisdom. He believed the Stone had already been found and that knowledge of it existed in the hands of unknown sages. But a small Parisian bookseller had little possibility of getting in contact with these sages.”

The Book

“One night, Flamel had a strange dream of an angel appearing to him. The winged and radiant being presented a book to him and spoke these words: "Look well at this book, Nicholas. At first you will understand nothing in it - neither you nor any other man. But one day you will see in it that which no other man will be able to see." Just as Flamel reached out his hands to receive the book, the dream faded and he woke up.

Some time afterwards, Flamel was alone working in his shop when a stranger in desperate need of money approached him with a book to sell. Flamel immediately recognized it as the same book the angel had shown him and, without bargaining, paid two florins for it.

The book had a very old covering of worked copper, engraved with strange diagrams and characters. Its pages were unlike anything he had encountered before – instead of parchment, they were made of the bark of young trees and covered with clear writing done with an iron point. The pages were divided into three groups of seven and separated by a page containing a diagram unintelligible to Flamel. The words on the first page named the author of the book: Abraham the Jew, prince, priest, Levite, astrologer and philosopher. This was followed by threats and curses against anyone not a priest or a scribe who dared lay their eyes on it.

Due to a combination of the memory of his vision and his own intuition, Flamel felt strongly that Abraham the Jew’s book contained secrets of nature, life and death – knowledge he feared he was not qualified to understand.

Flamel was familiar with the symbols and writings of alchemists of his day. But the book eluded him. He copied some of the pages and set them out in his shop, hoping someone with knowledge of Jewish mysticism, the Kabbalah, would be able to help him understand them. He met with nothing but the laughter and derision of skeptics.”

The Journey South

“For 21 years Nicholas Flamel strove to decipher the mysteries of the book. Unfortunately, no one in Paris could help him understand it, since parts of it were written in ancient Hebrew and Jews had recently been driven out of France by persecution. Flamel knew that many of them had settled in Spain. Traveling was extremely dangerous those days, however, especially for a solitary person, so Flamel donned a pilgrim’s attire and made a vow to make a pilgrimage. Pilgrims were ensured a certain measure of safety in Christian countries, and it also concealed the real purpose of his journey. Only Perenelle was aware of his true plans.

Unwilling to expose the entire manuscript to the dangers of traveling, Flamel took with him only a few carefully copied pages and set out on his quest. After fulfilling his vow of pilgrimage, Flamel wandered around Spain, trying to make connections with scholarly Jews. But they were understandably suspicious of Christians. Besides, he had to remember Perenelle waiting for him, and his shop, which was managed only by his servants. Finally he was forced to admit defeat and began his journey home.

At an inn in Leon, he met by lucky chance a French merchant who introduced him to a Maestro Canches, an old, learned Jew living in the city. He, too, was reluctant to help the French bookseller. But then Flamel mentioned the name of Abraham the Jew. It turned out Abraham was one of the greatest masters who studied the mysteries of the Kabbalah, and his book had disappeared centuries ago. Tradition said it had never been destroyed but had been passed from hand to hand, always to those who were destined to receive it. Maestro Canches had dreamed of finding it all his life.

Canches was able to translate the few pages Flamel had with him. But they were not enough to reveal the secret, and Canches immediately made up his mind to accompany Flamel to Paris. But his extreme age was a problem, and Jews were not even allowed in France. Regardless, Canches vowed to rise above his physical weakness and to convert to Christianity. He had been above religions for many years, after all. And so the two men headed north.

As fate would have it, Canches’ health became worse and worse the closer they came to Paris. Finally he fell ill in Orleans and, despite Flamel’s care, died seven days later. Maestro Canches was buried in the Church of Sante-Croix, and Flamel resumed the journey alone.”

The Philosopher’s Stone

“Flamel reached Paris and found his shop and Perenelle as he had left them. But everything had changed. Even though Maestro Canches had only translated a few pages, Flamel was able use that knowledge to decipher the entire book. He spent three more years completing his knowledge, and at the end of this period he accomplished something alchemists had been trying to do for centuries – transmutation. Carefully following the method outlined by Abraham the Jew, he succeeded in transforming half a pound of mercury into silver, and then into pure gold. It was accomplished with the Philosopher’s Stone, which involved some strange, reddish ”projection powder”.

Historical records show that Flamel became inexplicably rich around this time. He and Perenelle built houses for the poor, founded free hospitals and made donations to churches. But he didn’t use his newfound wealth to improve his own way of life. It is said that he achieved the transmutation of his own soul, the victory of spirit over matter.

Inevitably, people became curious about how a humble bookseller could make such generous donations. Eventually rumors reached the king of France, Charles VI, who ordered an investigation into the matter. But thanks to Flamel’s cautious and reticent nature, nothing of interest was found. He never revealed his knowledge of the Philosopher’s Stone.”

The Death of Nicolas Flamel

“Perenelle died first. Flamel spent the last years of his life writing books on alchemy and carefully settling his affairs. He designed his own tombstone, engraved with arcane alchemical symbols, before dying at the age of 88 – a very old age in the 15th century.

After Flamel’s death, rumours of his alchemical powers and discovery of the Philosopher’s Stone began to spread throughout France and the world. His house was repeatedly ransacked by greedy opportunists seeking the secrets of his riches, but nothing was ever found.”

The Fate of Abraham’s Book

“Flamel left his manuscripts and library to a nephew named Perrier he was very fond of. Nothing at all is known of Perrier. Some believe he inherited Abraham’s book, learned the mysteries of the Philosopher’s Stone and spent his life in the obscurity his uncle prized but wasn’t quite able to maintain.

Two centuries passed before Flamel’s legacy was heard from again. Traces of it resurfaced during the reign of Louis XIII in the 17th century. A descendant of Flamel named Dubois reportedly abandoned his ancestor’s reserve and, undoubtedly seeking fame and prestige,transformed lead balls into gold before the king himself using the projection powder. As a result of this experiment, the powerful Cardinal de Richelieu demanded to know how the powder worked. But Dubois, unable to understand Flamel’s manuscripts or Abraham’s book, could tell him nothing. He was imprisoned and condemned to death for some past offences, and Richelieu seized his properties.

It is said that the cardinal gained possession of the book of Abraham the Jew and built a laboratory to exploit it. However, the knowledge contained within it proved to be an insurmountable challenge for him. The book, whose secrets had taken over 20 years of pondering for a sage like Flamel to understand, was not accessible to a politician like Richelieu. After Richelieu’s death, all traces of the book were lost, save perhaps for a few illustrations.”

The Old Sage

“Later in the 17th century, Louis XIV sent an archaeologist named Paul Lucas on a scientific mission to the East. According to his account, while in Broussa, Turkey, Lucas met a philosopher who spoke almost every known language and who he described as ageless. The man told him he was a part of a group of seven philosophers who belonged to no particular country and traveled the world in search of wisdom. According to him, a man could live for a thousand years if he had knowledge of the Philosopher’s Stone. He went on to say that there were sages in the world who possessed such knowledge and kept it to themselves. Nicholas Flamel was one of them.

The man even told Lucas how Flamel had gained Abraham’s book. Abraham the Jew had been a member of the group before being betrayed and murdered by a rabbi for his book and papers. The murderer was sentenced to death not long before the persecution of Jews in France began, and the book was sold to Flamel by a Jew unaware of its value and in a hurry to get out of Paris.

Even more amazingly, the man stated that both Flamel and his wife were alive. They had supposedly faked their deaths and moved to India, where they still lived.

True or not, Nicholas Flamel’s legend certainly excites the imagination. The thought of him still being alive somewhere in the world along with other ancient sages is an intriguing one.”

From: http://mythical-and-paranormal-blog.blo ... e.html?m=1

Other article on him: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/n ... -stone.amp

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

This says that the Sages who have discovered the philosopher’s stone are alive today but hidden from our public sight. Just curious how they might do so physically if we have social media or all the identification stuff?

I do know that those sages would be the most intelligent by now if still around maybe because they would have had all the time to gather knowledge of the world.

It’s said basically also that even some people in the late 1800s still met Nicolas Flamel or saw him around (The alchemist from 1300s).

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Update: Somebody I asked who’s into alchemy said that basically that legend has it discovering the philosopher’s stone essentially allows you to cross into the astral plane by the time you succeed (Or automatically), so that these immortal sages if still alive are essentially choosing to manifest on the material plane should they ever be seen here as one explanation.

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

I want to say that a lot of history is unwritten and that which is written is often misinterpreted or falsified in one way or another. I'm descended from Cardinal Richelieu and can tell you that is not quite how things went, but no more than this lol. Not to say that what you've noted chronologically is absolutely untrue but there are going to be things you're missing and just judging by what you've been told is not the way to find real answers about such mysterious topics.

If you want to know what's really gone on with the passage of the Philosopher's Stone vs legend you could try divining or scrying on the matter. At some point the hidden is always more reliable than what is granted. Then compare this to what is known and sort of 'fill in the gaps'.

The legend of Nicolas Flamel's immortality is a whole lot like that of the Count de Saint-Germain, a fascinating mystery with only half-truths apparent for us to indulge.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Noctua wrote:I want to say that a lot of history is unwritten and that which is written is often misinterpreted or falsified in one way or another. I'm descended from Cardinal Richelieu and can tell you that is not quite how things went, but no more than this lol. Not to say that what you've noted chronologically is absolutely untrue but there are going to be things you're missing and just judging by what you've been told is not the way to find real answers about such mysterious topics.

If you want to know what's really gone on with the passage of the Philosopher's Stone vs legend you could try divining or scrying on the matter. At some point the hidden is always more reliable than what is granted. Then compare this to what is known and sort of 'fill in the gaps'.

The legend of Nicolas Flamel's immortality is a whole lot like that of the Count de Saint-Germain, a fascinating mystery with only half-truths apparent for us to indulge.
What are some methods I could use/try? Yeah I looked into the past written records to find the paranormal long before I came here then was disappointed slightly.

If you have any answers to the part about the bones of the beings/entities or archaeology/palaeontologists findings’ reliability it would help, something useful is the possibility we do not know everything and that the parts were misarranged. The above thing is mostly from legend mixed with some historical accounts.

Thirdly. Somebody also told me dangers about using grimoires from medieval alchemists. There are those among them who wrote their recipes to encode them in a way as to trick other lab alchemists reading them to unwittingly poison themselves, woah if that’s true.

They also mentioned that the picatrix tells the reader to drink hemlock for example.

Return to “Unsolved Mysteries”