Huldra

Which legends thrill you? Make you wonder? Shaped your beliefs? We'd love to know!
Dreamerunknown
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Some tribes/people give folklore via the means of dance & song like the Sakha:

Creation Myth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iUJ6C2lCZQ

Heroic Epos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Noo3Ui3gc

Sakha Warriors creed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syNwQZTJWW0

Memories of the Amazon tribes 1c :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9IjA6D6uAo

About nature:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTlRk1jjShU

Blacksmith Magic Iron Khomus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkrCEWcGy1o

Enjoy ;)

:@
Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
Zodiac:

Dreamerunknown wrote:Some tribes/people give folklore via the means of dance & song like the Sakha
That is certainly true; folklore can take any form of expression - even through the act of dancing and/or singing.
And thanks, I will check them out when I get the chance. 2hp

Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 108
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire
Zodiac:

Hm... interesting story, but the Huldra would she be some kind of wood nimph then, or more like a siren?
And is the snake-shifter woman some sort of naga?

@ Engel; You know the Belgian myth about the mermaid/snake-woman?

There is an old myth/story here in Ghent ( Belgium), about some sort of mermaid. So there was a guy who met a beautiful woman and he fell head over heels for her. She agreed to marry him, but she told him:' You can never visit me on Saturday, that's the only promise I ask of you,' so the dude agreed on that. And they married, got a baby, - or babies- and their agreement was kept. Every Saturday she locked herself in her room, and stayed there for a whole day. But one time, her husband was curious so went to investigate. He looked throught the keyhole and was shocked to discover his wife was taking a bath, and where her legs should have been, a snake tail was seen. So the dude went inside ( maybe just from shock), she saw him, screamed, and jumped out of the window and went away - never to be seen again.

It's just really strange, how so many stories are really the same, but maybe because of the names, are seen as something completly different.
Maybe someone should investigate if those tales are about different species, or really about the same species. Because, wait for it...

the hole about your huldra makes me think about the Encantado from Brazil! They have a hole on their head, and that's the only way you could recgonise them as what they truly are! Pink dolphins who are shapeshifters! The stories about encantado goes about beautiful men and women, who like to dance and party with the inhabitans of the tribes in the Amazon at night, and during the day they change back to their dolphin form and go to their living place in the river.

proud to be chosen by so many spirits <3

Whatever is Out There has set my destiny, but I'll walk the way to get there.
Sephiroth
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Male/Female: Male
If I could be anything, I would be...: Wolf
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: sephiroth
Zodiac:

Thanks to this thread i remembered i have a Huldra companion lol.

WubbaLubbaDubDub
Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Fireshadow wrote:Hm... interesting story, but the Huldra would she be some kind of wood nimph then, or more like a siren?
And is the snake-shifter woman some sort of naga?
Hi Fireshadow,

The Huldra is classified as a seductive forest spirit, according to the Scandinavian folklore. As for the Naga, I am not really sure - the only thing I know is that they're half-serpent, half-human, but their depiction probably varies from country to country, who has the supernatural creature as a part of their folklore.
Fireshadow wrote:@ Engel; You know the Belgian myth about the mermaid/snake-woman?

There is an old myth/story here in Ghent ( Belgium), about some sort of mermaid. So there was a guy who met a beautiful woman and he fell head over heels for her. She agreed to marry him, but she told him:' You can never visit me on Saturday, that's the only promise I ask of you,' so the dude agreed on that. And they married, got a baby, - or babies- and their agreement was kept. Every Saturday she locked herself in her room, and stayed there for a whole day. But one time, her husband was curious so went to investigate. He looked throught the keyhole and was shocked to discover his wife was taking a bath, and where her legs should have been, a snake tail was seen. So the dude went inside ( maybe just from shock), she saw him, screamed, and jumped out of the window and went away - never to be seen again.

It's just really strange, how so many stories are really the same, but maybe because of the names, are seen as something completly different.
Maybe someone should investigate if those tales are about different species, or really about the same species.
I can't really say that I have heard about that particular Belgian myth, but hey, I think it's interesting to hear about myths and/or folklore from around the world. :)

And you do have a point there; about many folklores or myths being the same - a mortal man meeting a female, supernatural creature whom promises to marry him, but only if he agrees to one specific condition, and which he has to promise to and honor that promise, but which he sadly fails to do since he usually is around at wrong place at, the wrong time, and usually also his curiosity gets the best of him.
Fireshadow wrote: Because, wait for it...

the hole about your huldra makes me think about the Encantado from Brazil! They have a hole on their head, and that's the only way you could recgonise them as what they truly are! Pink dolphins who are shapeshifters! The stories about encantado goes about beautiful men and women, who like to dance and party with the inhabitans of the tribes in the Amazon at night, and during the day they change back to their dolphin form and go to their living place in the river.
I have actually heard about the Ecantando, and that is funny coincidence, so I guess they do have some things in common. The Ecantando sound like wonderful and exciting spirit companions, from what I have read about them in CH's Encyclopedia. :)
Sephiroth wrote:Thanks to this thread i remembered i have a Huldra companion lol.
No problem, glad to help. :)

Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Found a web page dedicated on various mythological creatures from Scandinavian folklore. The Huldra being one of them, so I hope this will help shed some light on them, for those who may like to learn more about the Huldra. :D

http://thedockyards.com/10-mythical-bei ... -folklore/

And one on only the Huldra:

https://tfwalsh.wordpress.com/2011/06/0 ... rest-lady/

Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 108
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire
Zodiac:

Engel wrote:Found a web page dedicated on various mythological creatures from Scandinavian folklore. The Huldra being one of them, so I hope this will help shed some light on them, for those who may like to learn more about the Huldra. :D

http://thedockyards.com/10-mythical-bei ... -folklore/

And one on only the Huldra:

https://tfwalsh.wordpress.com/2011/06/0 ... rest-lady/
Thanks for the information. Many of these Scandinavian folklore has been passed down to the Netherlands and eventually to Belgium I'm guessing. Cause everyone knows about the Kraken, the Trolls, the elves and the dwarves. :-) So... it's funny that they are comparing a nix ( = nixie?) to a waterhorse like the Loch Ness Monster could possibly be.

proud to be chosen by so many spirits <3

Whatever is Out There has set my destiny, but I'll walk the way to get there.
Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Quite possibly so. And I didn't know that the Kraken was a part of the Scandinavian folklore, until yesterday.

I would assume that they're referring to the German Nixie, since both the Nokk and the Nixies are said to have beautiful appearances. It is the first time that I have heard that the Nokk is able to shape-shift into a horse. The Norwegian folklore, as I know it, usually states that the Nokk is able to shape-shift into a female human or male human, and that it dwells near a body of water, while playing beautiful melodies on a violin.

In the Norwegian folklore he usually takes the shape of a handsome young man, and mortal girls and women were heavily discouraged from ever going near or approaching the Nokk.

TrueGalacticPrince
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 19
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Kitsune & Courtwind
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Morrwin
Zodiac:

Szyvágr wrote:Quite possibly so. And I didn't know that the Kraken was a part of the Scandinavian folklore, until yesterday.

I would assume that they're referring to the German Nixie, since both the Nokk and the Nixies are said to have beautiful appearances. It is the first time that I have heard that the Nokk is able to shape-shift into a horse. The Norwegian folklore, as I know it, usually states that the Nokk is able to shape-shift into a female human or male human, and that it dwells near a body of water, while playing beautiful melodies on a violin.

In the Norwegian folklore he usually takes the shape of a handsome young man, and mortal girls and women were heavily discouraged from ever going near or approaching the Nokk.
I have a Nixie spirit and he is quite the handsome man. I had no idea that Nixies could shape shift until mine came in to my dreams and he turned in to a cat like creature and a bear cub. It was shocking sense he shifted during our intimate moment together. :p)

1=Nixie (Nix) 1=Masheba (Z) 1=Courtwind Angel (F) 1=Chinese Fox (Lady Fox) 1=Bellaydi Elf (B-Elf) 1=Hippogryph (H-Gryph) 1=Ivory Dragon (Roo or Nap Dragon) 1=Kobold (C) 1=Cwn Annew (C-Hound) 1=Ki-Lin (Z-Lin) 1=Wraith? (Casper) 1=Kitsune (T) 1=Norse Tiger (D) 1=Pet Dragon (E) 1=Midnight Moon Angel of Abundance (S) 1=Were-Dragon (K) 1=Selkie (M) 1=Alya 1=Raiju (A)
Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

TrueGalacticPrince wrote:
Szyvágr wrote:Quite possibly so. And I didn't know that the Kraken was a part of the Scandinavian folklore, until yesterday.

I have a Nixie spirit and he is quite the handsome man. I had no idea that Nixies could shape shift until mine came in to my dreams and he turned in to a cat like creature and a bear cub. It was shocking sense he shifted during our intimate moment together. :p)
Oh, that's so adorable that he shapeshifted into a bear cub and cat like creature, and I totally get that it must come as a shock. I had no idea that Nixies could do that, but maybe the dreamscape allows them to take on different forms or shapeshift. I know that people have talked about spirits and the form(s) they take on while visitting their keepers in the keeper's dreams. So maybe it could be something like that?

Return to “Folklore & Legends”