Sirens/Mermaids

Which legends thrill you? Make you wonder? Shaped your beliefs? We'd love to know!
Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 108
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire
Zodiac:

So I was just thinking about them. I wanted to get a topic about the real life sirens/Mermaids, and if anyone has heard about those stories as where some of them are seen by humans.

So basically I watched a video on Youtube last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF_tx82qqT4
In one of those comments, a person commented that his grandfather saw some mermaids near Normandy Beach during WW2. As a person from Belgium, I have never heard about any mermaids or sirens near my country. I only heard about a lot of seals swimming near shore.
I know of the statue of the Little Mermaid, but it's not like anyone around me even believes mermaids are real.
And maybe, as nowadays we are totally all going to the ocean and beach side, to take a swim ourselves, it has become way to crowded for a mermaid to appear.

So does anyone has a story about someone you know, or yourself, meeting or seeing a mermaid/siren IRL?

I got a binding with a siren from CH a few weeks ago, and basically I think we concluded that she lived two centruries ago, somewhere in the Southern Ocean... I don't think she is immortal thought. She has a close resemblance to a mermaid, and looks a bit like the sirens from the Tv-show Siren :-)
She didn't marry, but lived together with her family of Sirens as in a pod. She had children, thanks to humans who passed by.

In my anchestory I have a mermaid at my father side, maybe that totally became more real thinking we had a gypsy as anchestor ( cause we travel a lot)... or well, maybe a sailor who travelled around the world in a boat? And our last name, Schobben -> translate to dutch: Schubben' translate to English: Scales' -> the name basically means we have a 'scal-y skin' ( I do have a difficult skin, I've a lot of eczema. And I got this thanks to my dad probably, as my halfsister has some issues with this as well).
And if you dive into our anchestery, we came from Germany, and Germany is where the story of the Little Mermaid begun. ;-)
When we were kids, my cousins, me and my siblings all went to a swimming-club... all 9 of us ( the 9 grandchildren of my fathers' parents). So basically if you think about it, it's not so hard to understand that we are totally related to some sort of Fish. Maybe I'm even more fishy ( I'm the only child of both my parents), cause my grandparents other side, came from the sea-side, one of our anchestors was a fish-selling woman, and that side of the family origin is in France. ( and now thanks to this comment on Youtube, if we happen to be from Normandy...)
So maybe I should dive into my anchestery and maybe I can come up with a new fabulous story about some village-close-to-the-ocean where some guy met a mermaid and fell in love with her, and had a male baby <3

So... I would just like to find out, does anyone of you has another story to tell about Real-Life-meraids/sirens.

proud to be chosen by so many spirits <3

Whatever is Out There has set my destiny, but I'll walk the way to get there.
darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

There's this other etymology of schobben:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstr ... %8Dn%C4%85

And maybe you can try this reading:
https://shop.creepyhollows.com/merfolk- ... ading.html
it may help make some sense, maybe : )

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 108
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire
Zodiac:

darkwing dook wrote:There's this other etymology of schobben:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstr ... %8Dn%C4%85

And maybe you can try this reading:
https://shop.creepyhollows.com/merfolk- ... ading.html
it may help make some sense, maybe : )
the reason why I know that I've a mermaid in my bloodline, is because I got the ' In your Blood' reading by Creepy Hollows, which told I've angels, mermaids, and vampires in my blood :p But I can try the merfolk in your blood reading as well, cause I lost the results of 'in your blood' document somewhere... I'm thinking some of my spirits like to play jokes with me, cause I'm losing a lot of things without finding them back...

but anyways, thanks for replying so fast!

proud to be chosen by so many spirits <3

Whatever is Out There has set my destiny, but I'll walk the way to get there.
TVXQ_520
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

I love this! I've loved mermaids and sirens since I was little, and I remember what got me into it!

During the summers, up until I was starting high school, my family and I would spend summers at my father's childhood home. This is pretty deep into canyons, and the red land with the big green trees.... It 's BEAUTIFUL.

When we finished our work for the day, the adults usually let us little workers go right in the middle of the day, all of us kids would run around, playing in puddles, hiking, climbing trees, singing then stopping to hear our echoes...
Then we'd return n to camp to eat together.

There's a decent size stream that runs through the canyon that we were allowed to play in, since it wasn't really deep and the current wasn't strong. One day I thought I saw a fish, and followed it. With the pretty sunlight reflecting off the moving water, I could only clearly see the end of the tail... Whhat kept me going was that I thought I would see the front of the fish every now and then, it was lighter, and shaped oddly. And then... I thought I saw a tiny woman kind of like come up and dive back, like whales do.

I was startled but kept following it. Just before I was called to come back because I had gone a little to far, the tiny thing did it again. I'll never forget how there was her body that came up, her skin, and as the rest of her follwed, there was a tail. Her tail reminded me of a catfish, it was dark. Excited, I ran home telling the adults, who were not that excited haha. My mother thought it could be like a Kappa, and she was scared I'd be taken away.
Out of concern, the ban of being allowed to swim in the stream again was placed.... The ban stayed for a little while.

For years I drew fish women, fish people, and my father even would help me find shells in the lake and around the land for my fish town. I loved all of it it. Every time we were near water I'd be on the lookout for tiny fish women lol.
My father then told me about mermaids. I thought about them all the time, and asked him every day hundreds of questions.
So when I went to junior high school in the "city", I didn't have internet access before that. I went into t he computer lab one day to see if there were m ore stories out there like the ones my father told me. Andd there was! Then I saw drawings, and they were really different from what I saw lol.

I really feel like information back then about paranormal things, and conspiracy theories were better. Now it's bombarded with clickbaits and junk :( I tried many times to find stories I had read, and videos I watched from then but nada.

The last first and last dream I had about a mermaid was when I was in high school, and it was so clear that I sometimes wonder if it was real. The dream was that I was jogging across a local bridge when I heard splashing. Stopping, I looked down to the river below me, and there in the milky light brown water was a mermaid. Her tail was huge, and so shiny in the evening sun. It was hues of pink, a light pinkish brown, and light yellow. When she saw me looking down at her, she said "Find me." And then raindrops woke me up. It was a really beautiful dream ( :

I don't know if what I saw as a child was actually real, but I believe it was. I also think the ocean is huge, so why can't there be water people down there keeping to themselves? There are land people, so why not water people? I don't know, that's just what I think. There are cultures where they have stories about beings like these :)
And I've been to several places in South America, and tropical lands where I was told accounts of encounters with water people & mermaids/mermen.

Ugh my heart, I just love mermaids. I believe in their existence 100%

we speak the way we breathe
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

This story is adorable!

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

You may have a mermaid spirit guide... :)

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
TVXQ_520
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

Regholdain wrote:You may have a mermaid spirit guide... :)
Mermaid spirit guide??

we speak the way we breathe
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

TVXQ_520 wrote:
Regholdain wrote:You may have a mermaid spirit guide... :)
Mermaid spirit guide??
Or calling. Based on that dream.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Folklore & Legends”