You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 3
If I could be anything, I would be...: Not Human(No Offense
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: I Have No Clue
Zodiac:

Last Month (Maybe) It was recommended, that I should do Shadow Work. (It was suggested in my other Post. But I want make new post) I looked up to best of my abalities. I might got drift of doing Shadow Work. But not totally sure.

1. Is Shadow Work, kinda like Character Stats and info. (Like trying to write book?)

2. On paper, does Shadow Work have bubbles, with Pros and Cons. Like for example. My goal, then Pro, Con with Circles around and lines? (Hard to describe.)

3. How far back do I need to go. (I’m starting to remember more of my Childhood Past. Some reason I still can’t move forward. It block of sorts I believe) To determine what I need to Work on?

4. Would I better understand myself more and would I have more high self esteem? So I can get rid of block, least to help me move forward.

4. Does Shadow Work Hurt, like memories or such?

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

First let's get to understand what the Shadow is. The Shadow deals with those parts of us which are repressed, overlooked, condemned or generally of conflict to the senses. The elements of our duality we struggle with or which deviate into reaches of the incomprehensible.
Within this it deals with the Underworld of our being, the parts we need to retrieve, confront and reconcile from the dead so to speak.

When you're doing Shadow work you are first recognizing those parts of yourself, then facing them, and then reconciling them. The reconciliation part can lead into a further aspect where you can recreate or destroy that aspect of yourself depending on how it is serving you.
Initially this isn't going to lead so much to what you want yourself to be, but who you truly are already. It's going to bring up facades you may be wearing, as well as what lies beneath, and you're going to need to understand if those traits of yourself are true to you or if they are a product of various earlier conflicts such as trauma/abuse/etc. Even there it can get complicated because many of the developments we make from conflict can turn out to be strengths, however it takes recognizing where they come from.. what they mean, and how they are acting in one's life.

This is learning about yourself in the rawest form possible and doing something about that. When we repress, gloss over or absorb certain truths about ourselves without genuinely comprehending them it can provoke a certain response and this is essentially the Shadow. When we liberate ourselves from chaining those aspects, our entire approach to life and world view becomes alchemized.

Yes, it WILL hurt. It should hurt.
When it comes to 'how far back', some people are afflicted by shadows of things from past or other dimension lives, not to mention this one.. but beginning with childhood is reasonable enough. The other stuff is more advanced.
It is possible you'd have a higher self esteem, sure, if that is something being inhibited by irreconciliation of the Shadow.
No matter the result, Shadow work is important.. it is nuanced, and everyone should be doing it to some degree and on a semi regular basis.

Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals
Zodiac:

Also, it's not always something scary and evil part of yourself that you come across doing shadow work. In my own case, at least one shadow aspect of myself is a weak, needy person who needs other people's approval. As distasteful as it is to me, I have had to accept that there is tiny part of me who is like that.

SirJusty
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Noctua wrote:First let's get to understand what the Shadow is. The Shadow deals with those parts of us which are repressed, overlooked, condemned or generally of conflict to the senses. The elements of our duality we struggle with or which deviate into reaches of the incomprehensible.
Within this it deals with the Underworld of our being, the parts we need to retrieve, confront and reconcile from the dead so to speak.

When you're doing Shadow work you are first recognizing those parts of yourself, then facing them, and then reconciling them. The reconciliation part can lead into a further aspect where you can recreate or destroy that aspect of yourself depending on how it is serving you.
Initially this isn't going to lead so much to what you want yourself to be, but who you truly are already. It's going to bring up facades you may be wearing, as well as what lies beneath, and you're going to need to understand if those traits of yourself are true to you or if they are a product of various earlier conflicts such as trauma/abuse/etc. Even there it can get complicated because many of the developments we make from conflict can turn out to be strengths, however it takes recognizing where they come from.. what they mean, and how they are acting in one's life.

This is learning about yourself in the rawest form possible and doing something about that. When we repress, gloss over or absorb certain truths about ourselves without genuinely comprehending them it can provoke a certain response and this is essentially the Shadow. When we liberate ourselves from chaining those aspects, our entire approach to life and world view becomes alchemized.

Yes, it WILL hurt. It should hurt.
When it comes to 'how far back', some people are afflicted by shadows of things from past or other dimension lives, not to mention this one.. but beginning with childhood is reasonable enough. The other stuff is more advanced.
It is possible you'd have a higher self esteem, sure, if that is something being inhibited by irreconciliation of the Shadow.
No matter the result, Shadow work is important.. it is nuanced, and everyone should be doing it to some degree and on a semi regular basis.

Hi, thank you. I believe I got drift of it now. Question: by "duality" Does this mean, having 2 different parts. Like for example, Dr. Jeykll and Mister Hyde? As in, me believing I'm more Grey Arts. But feel like, I have another person inside of me. (before being spirit keeper to) It hard to make in perfect question. Should I also write things down to? (don't want it used against me though. Thanks again.

SirJusty
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Aurum wrote:Also, it's not always something scary and evil part of yourself that you come across doing shadow work. In my own case, at least one shadow aspect of myself is a weak, needy person who needs other people's approval. As distasteful as it is to me, I have had to accept that there is tiny part of me who is like that.
I feel this kind of same for me. I feel I'm more demanding person and a lot of selfish aspect of me. (not sure if this is Shadow work. But, I feel I know this always) thank you for helping to :)

Inedible
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: in the learning process
Zodiac:

The things you find doing shadow work aren't all bad. You can also find positive emotions and useful abilities that just weren't consistent with how you saw yourself earlier in life. Or maybe other people were jealous or resentful and you had to push those things down to get along.

Soul retrieval is a shamanic version if you want to look into alternatives. The idea is that when something traumatizes you, a piece of your soul is left behind at that place and time. By locating it, bringing it back, and integrating it back into yourself you are healed. Sometimes it takes more than once for the reintegration to take permanently. When it does, you are more whole. You can respond more skillfully to challenges.

And lucid dreams are good for shadow work. Tell it to show its ugly face right now, and ... kidding. Ask politely.

Cult
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Your favorite spirit to work with: distilled spirits

Certain kinds of therapy are basically shadow work.

SirJusty
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Inedible wrote:The things you find doing shadow work aren't all bad. You can also find positive emotions and useful abilities that just weren't consistent with how you saw yourself earlier in life. Or maybe other people were jealous or resentful and you had to push those things down to get along.

Soul retrieval is a shamanic version if you want to look into alternatives. The idea is that when something traumatizes you, a piece of your soul is left behind at that place and time. By locating it, bringing it back, and integrating it back into yourself you are healed. Sometimes it takes more than once for the reintegration to take permanently. When it does, you are more whole. You can respond more skillfully to challenges.

And lucid dreams are good for shadow work. Tell it to show its ugly face right now, and ... kidding. Ask politely.
1. What if I find more negative emotions. Instead of Positive ones? What if it possible to, turn those negative emotions to Positive ones? Is this possible?

2. I give up way to much for challenges. Not sure why.

3. I have really strange dreams of late. I don’t write it down of course. But I remember though. 2 days ago one dream was confusing. But kind of scary. 3 days ago was something about 2 child spirits. I know they was because. I keep saying in dream. But then again, dreams are not; all that they are appear. This morning around 4 am. Was dreaming a strange dream. I won’t disclose what. But seems one of my Spirit/LE. Didn’t like dream. (Was really gross, must admit. Something in bucket. Won’t go further) Kept poking me to wake up. I mean I can feel the poke when I was dreaming. But I woke up and pokes continued afterward.

4. Thanks for the alternative and help to :)
Cult wrote:Certain kinds of therapy are basically shadow work.

There so many therapy out there. Some might do well, some won’t. Thanks for tip to :)

Inedible
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

When something surfaces that you have been avoiding, the natural tendency is to avoid it some more. This is what happens if you aren't prepared to respond differently. If you can avoid pushing it back, you have an opportunity for growth and healing. Mindfulness training is a good approach to being ready to respond to old thoughts, emotions, habits, and patterns in new ways. The actual technique is secondary to this. And you can be sure that things which have been repressed tend to be distorted and ugly at first, but they don't have to stay that way.

Inedible
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Double post. Weird.

Return to “General Questions”