does aroma therapy works for relieving depression?

Share you information, tips, & tricks for working with alternate methods for health, cleansing, and balance.
supersaiyan5
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 11
Your favorite spirit to work with: vamps
If I could be anything, I would be...: vampire
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

if you buy the right oil. and you know the right properties of their uses and such..

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

To a point. Diffusing a blend of citrus and lavender can help. I also find some relief from depression and anxiety by burining frankincense and myrrh HEM stick incense.

There are provisos of course.

If you have animals don’t diffuse things that are toxic to them. I think lavender is toxic to animals, but I may be wrong. It’s an easy google though. You should also only diffuse for thirty minutes. You should never ingest oils. Never apply them directly to your skin without a carrier oil to make sure you don’t get any chemical burns from them.

Be aware you may be allergic to any of these items. I have a friend who is violently allergic to lavender, and inhaling it could be deadly to her.

MOST IMPORTANTLY THOUGH!!!! If you are having suicidal thoughts or urges, seek immediate medical attention. Some periods of depression in life are normal, but depression can be a SERIOUS and LIFE THREATENING medical problem that can be ameliorated with trained medical professional treatment. I cannot overstress that.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING SUICIDE OR SELF HARM, THEN TREAT THIS AS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY AND GET MEDICAL HELP.

featheredstar
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 31
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: a wolf

First and foremost, as Alys mentions, always get medical help before anything that involves witchcraft, spells, aromatherapy, spirits, etc. Aromatherapy is to be a small supplement on TOP of actual medical help.

Always, always dilute oils if you use essential oils when going for aromatherapy. And absolutely be aware of what oils can be toxic to your pets. I have a list if you want me to reply back with the EO's that are toxic to cats/dogs :) But I am in no way an expert, just from my own research.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

I speak from experience when I say that Step One in treating depression should be a doctor visit. Then you and the doctor can design a treatment regimen that you’ll be happy with, that has space for herbs or aromatherapy as a part of it.

But I wouldn’t expect complete relief from depression to come from over-the-counter treatments. And I agree with Alys’s and featheredstar’s posts.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
denanna123
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 42
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Djinn
If I could be anything, I would be...: Djinn
My magical/paranormal name...: NannaDee
Zodiac:

featheredstar wrote:First and foremost, as Alys mentions, always get medical help before anything that involves witchcraft, spells, aromatherapy, spirits, etc. Aromatherapy is to be a small supplement on TOP of actual medical help.

Always, always dilute oils if you use essential oils when going for aromatherapy. And absolutely be aware of what oils can be toxic to your pets. I have a list if you want me to reply back with the EO's that are toxic to cats/dogs :) But I am in no way an expert, just from my own research.

I, for one, would love to see a list of the EOs you've found to be harmful to pets featheredstar! You could even make it a separate post for easier reference in the future if you'd like. Thanks in advance!

quantumflux
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 17
If I could be anything, I would be...: I’m a faerie.
My magical/paranormal name...: Wouldn’t you like to know. HEHE
Zodiac:

A agree with everything said. Visit a doctor and get medical help first.

Muse
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorites, sorry
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sane
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Somethin' snazzy I suppose
Zodiac:

Aromatherapy has certainly helped me relax before, and usually that's the first step to coming out of a bad day. I can't say it'll be a cure or anything so miraculous but it's not so different than people choosing to eat a comfort food or play video games. It's can be used as a helpful coping mechanism to just unwind and stop thinking about the negative.

StormyTiger
new here
new here
Your favorite spirit to work with: can't pick just one!
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Ruby
Zodiac:

I find it helps relieve symptoms of Depression. For me personally, I use essential oils mostly for stress, and stress obviously comes with Depression.

A couple blends I like are:

- Lavender
- Peppermint

~

- Orange or Lemon
- Clary Sage
- Lavender

~

- Patchouli
-Orange
- Myrrh

All three of these blends can be used for symptoms of depression, especially stress related ones. I personally like making roll ons for bringing them with me.

And of course, like others have said, the oils can help relieve symptoms but won't get to the root of anything/they're not a cure-all. They're excellent for managing anxiety/stress from my experience. Also, ALWAYS dilute essential oils before putting them on the skin. I use Grapeseed oil to dilute my roll ons. 2hp

SirJusty
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 3
If I could be anything, I would be...: Not Human(No Offense
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: I Have No Clue
Zodiac:

Speaking for myself. I have sever seasonal depression/ depression. I’m on this new med that good chance cause sucidal thoughts. So far none yet. They, my drs want to upgrade the dose within new dose. They also want use another pill to go with this one I’m taking. I had to wait for 2 months to go to different counseling. Be March I be going.

I have bought aroma thearapy and diffuser. But I’ve tried it for little while. I quit after 4 months. I’m planning to do it again soon. This time I’ll try longer. But unsure if it would help me.

But nice article and good suggestions nonetheless. I also learned something new. In which kind of does makes sense. How would I know if I’m allergic to oils? I feel I’m allergic to something else besides aspirin.

But unsure what else I’m allergic to. I order online since don’t drive. I’m kind of now worried I’m, Least good Chance I be allergic to oils. How would I could protect myself? At same time if this aroma thearapy does work. I guess I could try this thearapy longer. Many thanks all.

featheredstar
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 31
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: a wolf

SirJusty wrote:How would I know if I’m allergic to oils? I feel I’m allergic to something else besides aspirin.

But unsure what else I’m allergic to. I order online since don’t drive. I’m kind of now worried I’m, Least good Chance I be allergic to oils. How would I could protect myself? At same time if this aroma thearapy does work. I guess I could try this thearapy longer. Many thanks all.
People suggest using, from what I've read, the diluted oil you might be using, and putting a small area on your forearm/hand or somewhere safe. Check to see if you have a reaction to that oil, and just note any changes. Also, highly recommend to see a professional / doctor about it, someone who knows more about allergies. I myself, am not a professional lol. But the little tidbit is a way to find out. And if you are, then definitely go see a doctor about it if it becomes a problem.

Return to “Alternate Healing/Aromatherapy”