venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

I think I'm completely confused on the idea of making offerings and treats out of non-perishable items. For example, a treat for a Dullahan is any "spiritual-related object", or for some dragons it's sea glass, shiny objects, and so on.

So... what do you do with the items after you've offered them? And do you reuse them / repurpose them after you've left it out a bit? For example, if I offer an old cross I used to wear to my Dullahan, what do I do with it after I put it out for him? Or, by way of another example, I have a couple of dragon spirits, but I haven't made them lairs or anything like that just because there's no place to place their "home". So even if I offer them sea glass or a certain type of "bedding", what do I do with it after offering it? The concept of this confuses me a bit.

I should note I don't have any individual altars or anything for any spirits - I just don't have the room and I don't want to raise eyebrows besides. I have the top of a bookcase that I use to burn candles, scent oils, and have a small offering dish there so I just consider that my "altar space", and I have an entire shelf set aside elsewhere for two storage boxes - a soapstone one for my spirit bindings and a wooden one for all my spell bindings. I have a couple of spirit bindings bound to pieces that I display - a crystal cluster and a large animal carving. But other than that, the soapstone box is the "home" for their bindings.

I guess the other side of this conversation is I also have a large array of spirits. If I offer all of them something... well, I'd have all this stuff just lying around everywhere not making any sense. This just confuses me so much.

2co

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
Muse
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorites, sorry
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sane
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Somethin' snazzy I suppose
Zodiac:

I'm not too sure as I've never offered things outside of blood, food, drink. If I did offer items I'd personally do so in the same way I might lend a friend a jacket or something. Leave it out for a day or two, maybe even a week or two (with a personal thanks to them), just so they can enjoy it as much as possible.

Then whenever you feel like enough time has passed, give them the "Alright I need this back now, hope you enjoyed your time with it" saying before taking it and putting it wherever you had it before. I'm not sure if this is what others do, and I could be wrong here, but if it's your own personal item that you want to keep thats how I'd go about it until a Spirit expressed they didn't like it.

Another thing I'd do if I wasn't comfortable with that is to just buy something small from a store or farmers market that I think they'd like and just leave it wherever you ten to keep their Vessel. Clearly state its for them. Maybe even make their own personal treasure box if it's a dragon or Devata or something.

I understand you have many Spirits, so I'm not sure how you'd organize this. If they all get along and work together I doubt they'd be bothered by having their offerings around the same area to save space. So long as each offering was clear as far as who it's for.

Overall this is something to experiment with as far as how you and your spirits work with it.

uncle sid
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 28
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Idk
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
My magical/paranormal name...: No idea
Zodiac:

you offer said items as a sign of respect and that you appreciate them, you only take it away after asking when it looks pretty gnarly. Usually they are okay with it, but the general idea is to make a space for spirits to feel welcome and to say "Hey, sup how ya doin, here ya go" pretty much.

I have many spirits and entities, i generally don't have much time or ability to put out offerings, so i usually do lavander oil and i was asked to put out sugar on a plate, so i do those few things every now and then.

up to you, and your spirits. Best to communicate.

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

Definitely talk to the individual spirits about it, but I have little spots for each spirit—cubbies and shelves, etc. I call them apartment complexes. I leave their non-perishable offerings there with their vessels and connecting stones.

Otherwise when an item degrades I’ll respectfully dispose of it when appropriate.

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member

Well that's the thing, I don't really have the ability to create individual spaces for their vessels, and even if I did the people I live with would start asking why I had various pieces of jewelry in individual cubbies and stuff. LOL Might get hard to explain. I use a small offering dish for perishables and always specify who it's for.

My main concern was offering items like sea glass, coins, gemstones, cloth, etc. Since I don't have individual homes, so to speak, for each spirit I don't know how to give them a treat like that and somehow put it somewhere that it's theirs.

For example, say I offer one of them some orange calcite. I have lots of crystals that are just stored in a small soapstone container. When it's time to put away that piece of orange calcite, it's going to just get mixed back in with everything else. In my mind I gave it to the spirit so it's theirs, but once it gets put away it eventually would not identify with them and I'll forget. It just goes back to being put in a community storage area, I guess is what I mean, and then if I do that enough I'll have no idea what items were whose.

I guess I want to do more than just candle and oil incense and pieces of candy or other food items, but I have no clue what to do with those other more substantial things after they're offered - like where to move them to and all that. LOL

I'll talk to them too, I just don't know what to do with the items after they're offered since I don't have a place to store things for each spirit. I have 21 spirits so... yeah...

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

I’ve used something lack a tackle box before. It has cubbies and can close up and be put away. Craft stores have smaller, flatter versions in the scrapbooking supplies that can fit under a bed, etc.

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

I mean. They understand. But it would be nice for you if you didn’t have to just keep everything straight mentally.

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member

Hmmm... I'll have to consider that. I have very limited private space (literally 1 bedroom and every wall is full of furniture and the closet is packed) so even a storage box like that might not have a place.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member

I guess in general I'm just thinking like this:

I offer my Dullahan the old cross I used to wear as I treat. I leave it out 24-48 hours for him. After that I'll need to put it away, and that will most likely be back in my little private jewelry box (a little 3" diameter thing). And it's not likely to get worn by me again, but it's also not getting discarded because it's jewelry I've had for 20 years.

But now I would feel bad because I offered it to him and had to put it away somewhere that's not with him... I dunno that seems mean.

Ugh. I feel like I'm overthinking this.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

You definitely are.

I just remembered! People here used to have a lot of conversations about their digital cataloging systems for tracking which spirits belonged to which vessels,etc. You might feel better if you did something like that. I mean, the mere location of an offering does not necessarily make it unavailable for a companion to appreciate. But if, for whatever reason, any of you needed reminders it could be found in a digital document.

Which makes me wonder about the possibilities afforded by digital offerings as a staple for those with tight space limitations....Rabbit hole time....

Return to “Spirit Keeping”