Belladonna (Deadly Nightshade)

Which ones do you love to work with? Or, which ones do you have questions about?
Ellie44
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 55
Spelled Number: 4
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Which I'm all for....in most cases

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I mean, if they had hit the level of dilution in, say, oscillo (which has, chemically, zero of its main ingredient in it,) it would probably have been fine. What a thing to mess up though, right? Too much belladonna in infant medicine, of all things.

Ellie44
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 55
Spelled Number: 4

Right?! Just yikes

shieon
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 200
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
If I could be anything, I would be...: Gumiho
My magical/paranormal name...: Violet
Zodiac:

Okay that makes sense! I don't know why on earth I assumed it could be used as a topical application in any way. I have never heard of it being used to create an ointment before so that is good to know! I have read a lot about flying ointments too. Yeah, I have never honestly heard of any witches or those practicing witchcraft using it. I think it would be an extremely bad idea if a curious inexperienced individual getting in their practice tried delving into it because I have found it accessible on places like Ebay. I had so much paranoia just getting it inside the vial! ;;

For the most part one of my human male witch spirits apparently likes belladonna, since I was told by the person (who happens to be a current generation distant cousin of this spirit) who sold me the vessel for him that he specialized in black magick when he was alive. So I decided to present it to him as an offering. I started having heavy activity and manifestations from him after that point.
That may be the only thing I will ever do with it though, thankfully haha!

"내가 꿈에나와도 그건 귀신이나 괴한이 아니야. 천사지."

There are some people whose dread of human beings is so morbid that they reach a point where they yearn to see with their own eyes monsters of ever more horrible shapes.

I share co-consciousness and a shared astral body with an angelic guardian entity named, "Victor," or "L." Spirit worker, demonolator, generational clairvoyant.

Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals
Zodiac:

Here is some info about nightshades:
https://banefolk.com/blogs/news/introdu ... ightshades

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

I wasn't going to respond here because I'm sure I have discussed this before, but a few things I've seen stated are a bit funny to me. Yes, witches do use it for a number of reasons. The witches of old, and modern witches into traditional craft and wortcunning.

I've been practicing magick my entire life and belladonna is one of my favourite plants. I work with the spirit of this plant, I have grown it in my garden along with monkshood, henbane, datura, wormwood. I work with the nightshades in salve form which is more common than one may expect --with those into traditional craft but also those who know of and value it's healing and visionary properties.
I've also ingested a couple of these plants, more than once, which of course I don't recommend to anyone at all but it's been involved in rigorous rites of passage for my particular path.

It's a shame that the poison plants are looked upon as being terrible and relegated so much to the idea of hexes and curses. It's also unfortunate to see the old ways having become vilified or lost, or even viewed as inane, quite in this manner.. because people just aren't very knowledgeable about the actual properties of the plants and what precisely is lethal about them, and people aren't very aware of what went into the practices revolving around them. For that matter, far too many people are disconnected from nature and that is a factor in how nature can adversely impact them.

Absolutely they can have the more malicious associations and can be applied that way, but they are all of great duality. If we were to look at them as they actually are --spirited, then what I am saying is they are not 'black arts' 'evily evil'.

I use the nightshades sexually for ecstatic experiences, to subdue my menstrual cramps and other aches, for shamanic questing, for time travel and chronokinesis, for love magick, for diabolical craft, for underworld initiation, for empowerment of the sacred witch-fire, for work with various deities. Sometimes this involves me applying them directly to myself, sometimes it's anointing objects, making offerings or certainly in ritual.
Misuse occurs not only when one is not versed in the effect of the plant, but when the plant is disrespected/underestimated or it's Spirit is not properly acknowledged. Only those serious and experienced practitioners can or should handle these plants not simply for the fact of their toxicity but due to their formidable quality as Spirits. Honestly I find even the Rose to have a dualistic spirit which all must be considerate of.
Therefore they must be approached with balance if they are to be approached at all; do not fear them --respect them.

Some various lesser recognized facts..
Mandrake is powerfully associated with fire and earth and is an aphrodisiacal root which is affiliated with sex magick; it is mercurial in nature and can magnetize spellwork to be more potent. One of the most magnificent forces I have ever applied, it tends to generate happiness as well.

Belladonna is feminine in nature and it is a potent aid in seduction, however it's prominently effective with astral projection, as well as being fantastic for time-based and necromantic magicks in my experience due to it's association with Saturn.

Henbane is a more androgynous plant to me and it can be applied for the calling of and directing of unknown spirits toward specific tasks, especially divination. It's also one of the more forceful in works of love and so better for attracting marriage-oriented or binding situations.

Datura has been traditionally known to break curses, and is an opener of spiritual gateways necessary in more dire rites of reconnection with the soul. This is one that does not like to be applied casually.

Wormwood is really not as toxic as it's been known for, an ingredient in absinthe --it's great for love spells, communicating with the dead, and protection. It's also a favourite of the goddess Lilith.

In summary, these poisons of nature are just as equally medicine for the properly initiated. If they look upon your requests favourably there is much to gain, and the gains --while they may be oriented more toward a dark path, are quite varied rather than being exclusively to cause harm. In fact they are invaluable protection given their heavyweight status among the plant kingdom.
They can have an intense or gentler touch depending on the circumstance, and you must be able to connect with the Spirit of the plant before hoping to successfully apply it in any situation as far as I am concerned. If picking directly from the wild, ask the plant for permission first or the deities which rule over that particular plant. If otherwise, be sure to honor it..

shieon
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 200
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
If I could be anything, I would be...: Gumiho
My magical/paranormal name...: Violet
Zodiac:

Noctua wrote:I wasn't going to respond here because I'm sure I have discussed this before, but a few things I've seen stated are a bit funny to me. Yes, witches do use it for a number of reasons. The witches of old, and modern witches into traditional craft and wortcunning.

I've been practicing magick my entire life and belladonna is one of my favourite plants. I work with the spirit of this plant, I have grown it in my garden along with monkshood, henbane, datura, wormwood. I work with the nightshades in salve form which is more common than one may expect --with those into traditional craft but also those who know of and value it's healing and visionary properties.
I've also ingested a couple of these plants, more than once, which of course I don't recommend to anyone at all but it's been involved in rigorous rites of passage for my particular path.

It's a shame that the poison plants are looked upon as being terrible and relegated so much to the idea of hexes and curses. It's also unfortunate to see the old ways having become vilified or lost, or even viewed as inane, quite in this manner.. because people just aren't very knowledgeable about the actual properties of the plants and what precisely is lethal about them, and people aren't very aware of what went into the practices revolving around them. For that matter, far too many people are disconnected from nature and that is a factor in how nature can adversely impact them.

Absolutely they can have the more malicious associations and can be applied that way, but they are all of great duality. If we were to look at them as they actually are --spirited, then what I am saying is they are not 'black arts' 'evily evil'.

I use the nightshades sexually for ecstatic experiences, to subdue my menstrual cramps and other aches, for shamanic questing, for time travel and chronokinesis, for love magick, for diabolical craft, for underworld initiation, for empowerment of the sacred witch-fire, for work with various deities. Sometimes this involves me applying them directly to myself, sometimes it's anointing objects, making offerings or certainly in ritual.

Thank you for this post! It was very informative. I was looking for open responses and various experiences with belladonna with my initial post since I tend to view it in a similar way as yours, though it just isn't a herb I have gotten into actively using since I just ...haven't. I think about making use of it every now and then but I figured I would make a post here first since I noticed there's a Herb category, so I thought I'd ask what people think, how they use it, etcetera. I think for the most part a lot of the websites up today that talk about belladonna always commonly point to it for ~darker uses~, cursing and medicinal properties so I appreciate you gave your perspective on it... that's pretty much what I wanted to know was other's personal experiences since I've tried looking at all kinds of websites.
But anyway this is great to read! I will look back on it for sure.

"내가 꿈에나와도 그건 귀신이나 괴한이 아니야. 천사지."

There are some people whose dread of human beings is so morbid that they reach a point where they yearn to see with their own eyes monsters of ever more horrible shapes.

I share co-consciousness and a shared astral body with an angelic guardian entity named, "Victor," or "L." Spirit worker, demonolator, generational clairvoyant.

Cult
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: distilled spirits

Ellie44 wrote:Most of the more seasoned witches that I know, as well as myself are of like mind and don't recommend it for spell work simply because of the toxic nature. I mean it has been used to wipe out armies. I am not saying that is true for all just is for those I know in my life. My witchy friends walk all different paths from very white to extremely black and all of us in between. I've only known one who used it in hexes and curses and he took extreme precautions.

I have never know it used in beauty potions.
So I'd be interested to read about that as you know how I am about reading new articles to me haha. Have you read the myths on how it used to be used for "flying"..at least in relation to females? No thank you!

There are few herbs I stay away from and this is right up there with henbane. This is one where if you do use it, precautions as you said are the way to go. It seems that OP understands and respects the dangers. What concerns me is that is available to those who may not.
Have you done any kind of research on anything historical related to withcraft or did you pick up Scott Cunningham and thought you're good to go?

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I think there's a huge component to this of personal risk tolerance. I'm an anxious person in general, and on top of that I have two cats WHO CHEW ALL THE THINGS EVER OMG THAT'S NOT FOOD and an SUPER ADHD elementary aged kid. So my immediate and strong reaction is a firm nope.

But reasonable grown-ups can certainly differ on this matter. And I absolutely mean that.

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

I have this fun little book called Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart that's about poisonous plants that has this as the entry for Deadly Nightshade (Atropa Belladona):
Professor and plant researcher Henry G. Walters speculated in 1915 about the potential for cross-breeding carnivorous and poisonous plants. He believed that if a poisonous plant had "the semimuscular system possessed by the carnivorous plants, it would be more dangerous than the cholera." Dr. Walters declared that plants were capable of love and that they had memories, implying that they might also hold a grudge as lovers do. The deadly nightshade, he believed, was filled with hatred.

Although the entire plant is poisonous - just rubbing against it can raise pustules on the skin - the black berries are the plant's most tempting feature. A Virginia farmer named Charles Wilson lost his children to those berries in 1880. The yougsters' terse obituary suggests an agonizing weekend: "The first and youngest died last Thursday, the second, on Sunday night, and the third, and only remaining child, on Monday."

Even today, tales of deadly nightshade poisoning appear in the medical literature. An elderly woman turned up at the hospital every fall in a kind of psychosis; doctors were unable to trace the cause of her hallucinations, delusions, and headaches. After several days, the symptoms would subside on their own. Finally, her daughter brought in a handful of berries from a shrub growing near her house. She had been snacking on deadly nightshade every autumn when the berries grew ripe but somehow managed to escape a fatal poisoning.

This is far from the only case: A couple earned their place in medical history by baking a pie of nightshade berries, mistaking them for the much more edible bilberries. In Turkey, a review of nightshade poisoning found that forty-nine children were sickened over a six-year period. Most ate the berries themselves out of curiosity, but at least one child was fed nightshade by his parents in the mistaken hope that it would treat his diarrhea.

Deadly nightshade performs its dark magic with the help of an alkaloid called atropine, which causes rapid heartbeat, confusion, hallucinations, and seizures. The symptoms are so unpleasant that atropine is sometimes added to potentially addictive painkillers to keep patients from getting hooked. Medical students memorize this simple mnemonic trick to help them recognize the signs of poisoning: "Hot as a hare, blind as a bat, dry as a bone, red as a beet, and mad as a hatter". "Madness" in this case refers to meaningless speech, a sign of deadly nightshade poisoning.

The herbaceous perennial is found across Europe, Asia, and North America, where it flourishes in damp, shady spots. It grows to about three feet tall, producing pointed, oval-shaped leaves and purplish brown tubular flowers. From these flowers the bright black berries emerge, beginning as hard green fruit that ripen to red, finally reaching their full dark glory in fall.

Early physicians mixed up a potent brew of deadly nightshade, hemlock, mandrake, henbane, opium, and other herbs as a surgical anesthetic. Atropine still has medicinal uses today and has been administered as an antidote to poisoning from nerve gas and pesticide exposure.

Italian women dropped mild tinctures of deadly nightshade into their eyes to dilate their pupils, which they thought made them more alluring. The name "belladonna" may come from this practice; it means "beautiful woman," but the term might also originate from buona donna, a medieval witch doctor who treated the indigent with mysterious potions.

Atropa comes from one of the three Fates of Greek mythology. Each Fate had a role in determining human destiny. Laschesis measured the thread of destiny at birth; Clotho spun the thread, controlling one's destiny; and then, at the end, Atropos brought death at the time and manner of her choosing. Milton remembered her this way:

Comes the blind Fury with the abhorred shears,
And slits the tin-spun life.

Meet the Relatives - Member of the large and unruly Solanaceae family, which includes henbane, mandrake, datura, and the spicy Habanero chile pepper.
By the way, if you are at all slightly interested in poisonous plants, this little book is quite an enjoyable read. The articles and tales around some plants, even common vegetables, are quite interesting.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Herbs/Minerals/Oils”