Safety measures before adopting a spirit

Metagamer
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male

Hello all, just as the title says, I'll be adopting a spirit soon, but before that I need to make sure I have everything covered for whatever unexpected situations arises.

So for this, I ask for everyone's help in posting links to threads that teach you about:

1. Protection. (mostly unbounds, mostly..), like banishment, or as someone said drawing a circle around yourself, and such. I've heard (read) of people opening their third eye and that attracted the darker spirit/astral creatures, and now they regretted opening it.

2. Subduing. If for example a spirit becomes too intense, I only have what the encyclopedia says for each kind of spirits, but I don't know if there may be more techniques.

3. Returning. If for any given reason, I and the spirit don't work well, would it be possible to release the bind and say goodbye, or does it strictly have to be via creepy holllows staff.

Now, don't get the wrong idea, I'm NOT a difficult person at all, I just want to be prepared for any unfavorable situtation, I consider myself a prepper.

Anyway, any other kinds of safety methods are highly and verily appreciated :D

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Hi

I'm a prepper myself so I can relate to the need to be sure in advance.

Is the spirit you're about to adopt classified as 'dark'? Is it from a widely recognised reliable conjurer? Will this be your only spirit? Do you have any spelled forms of protection?

Subduing is for dark spirits - you can search the dark arts section of this forum for more info on that. There may be an article on dark art spirits in the encyclopaedia or shop that covers the same ground.

Protection is widely covered here, if you search you will find. There's a lot that could be said on it.

Generally it is thought desirable to have protection spirits and protection spells, as well as protection techniques you have learned, and to use them actively, whatever spiritual work you do, regardless of having a spirit companion. There's plenty available via the CH shop quite inexpensively.

Unless the spirit you are about to adopt is thought to be troublesome (which wouldn't seem a good idea), or you can't trust the conjurer, I think there's nothing specially needed to protect you *against* the RA spirit coming to you. But, yes, it has been said more than once here that working with a spirit may make someone more open to attracting unwanted spirits (not all are malicious) and/or more open to noticing such things or being affected by that.

If it is a CH Reverse Adoption spirit, of course if there any problems that need following up it's best to discuss them with CH. Or you could ask them beforehand too. CH's customer service is very good imho.

These may help
forum436.html
https://shop.creepyhollows.com/CUSTOM-C ... RDIAN.html
https://shop.creepyhollows.com/feather- ... ction.html
topic30406.html

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Adrasteia
active contributor
active contributor
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human and Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: a valuable person
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Metagamer wrote: 1. Protection. (mostly unbounds, mostly..), like banishment, or as someone said drawing a circle around yourself, and such. I've heard (read) of people opening their third eye and that attracted the darker spirit/astral creatures, and now they regretted opening it.

2. Subduing. If for example a spirit becomes too intense, I only have what the encyclopedia says for each kind of spirits, but I don't know if there may be more techniques.

3. Returning. If for any given reason, I and the spirit don't work well, would it be possible to release the bind and say goodbye, or does it strictly have to be via creepy holllows staff.
1. Like Lewk said, there's a lot of information in other sections. Just use the search bar. You could get a protection binding to be safe, just for the beginning. Also your energy or third eye (if it's open) won't always attract darker beings.

2. I've never heard of people subduing their bound spirits. Most of the information can be found there or you could ask the helpdesk. House rules are a must and way more important!

3. Your spirit isn't an item, so it can't be returnend in the sense you think of. If it's pre-bound, then it can be sent back, refunded or replaced with another spirit (at least in the CH policies). When you go for a RA or CC, then the spirit will be perfectly matched to you. So, you don't need to worry.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Subduing

I just thought I should add: if you get a dark arts spirit from a reliable conjurer (eg CH), don't think they will automatically need to be 'subdued' at some point. That could be being disrespectful to them. I'd recommend asking the seller whether the type of spirit you're getting is a type that is ever likely to need subduing at any point and in what circumstances.

I gather subduing is a last resort. There are 2 or 3 stages before that, imho:

* asking your spirit politely and respectfully to tone down any discomfiting adjustment symptoms, or acting up; (don't automatically assume everything is their fault and blame them for everything)
see also https://shop.creepyhollows.com/SPIRIT-K ... ATION.html

* introduce house rules (search here, the encyclopaedia and the shop for them);
see also https://shop.creepyhollows.com/search.p ... _https=yes

* get a spelled item that keeps the peace between your different types of spirits (this is for if you have more than one sprit and they are of different arts)
https://shop.creepyhollows.com/SPIRIT-K ... PEACE.html

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Hi Metagamer - I applaud you for the foresight and the carefulness with which you are approaching spirit keeping. That is very admirable and wise. I think the others have made some good points in relation to your questions already, so I have very little to add. I can only speak from my experiences by saying I've never had an issue with any bound spirits I've purchased from Creepy Hollows to the point that I needed to Subdue a bound spirit or return one.

There are 30 spirits bound in my keep, each one a different race, some Dark Arts and some White Arts (probably a few more DA than WA). All have been wonderful companions and any issues have been easily dealt with through the application of House Rules they must all follow and stern enforcement of those rules. The House Rules are also something to review on occasion and adjust as needed if they are not doing what you expect, or if you feel they are too strict.

As others have suggested, Subduing is more of a last resort if the spirit is totally out of hand and not respecting your House Rules, and typically that won't be an issue - especially if you have the spirit custom conjured and are not purchasing a pre-bound. This is because a custom conjured spirit is matched directly with your energy signature, to the essence of you, so they normally would be a good fit from day one.

As for returns, you would have to contact the CH Helpdesk if you experience trouble with a bound spirit and need it re-bound or recalled. That I am aware of there is nothing on our end we could do to automatically release them and break the binding. That said, you should be aware that Creepy Hollows puts in place multiple layers of protection into their bindings for both the keeper and the spirit to prevent any malicious situations from occurring. I would think this is an exceedingly rare situation. Most people only have trouble with an unbound spirit, improperly bound spirits, or spirits that they have conjured themselves without a protective binding.

In addition, as regards to protection in general, if the first spirit is a protective spirit you probably would not need to worry about unbound issues, as the spirit will help with that especially if you task them or make it a House Rule to do so. This doesn't mean an unbound spirit can't slip by and cause problems, but the possibility is reduced quite a bit. The same goes with adding some magical protective bindings. One of my favorites from CH when I first started was this one: https://shop.creepyhollows.com/ASH-S-FA ... PLACE.html

I do recommend some banishment and cleansing knowledge generally, and you do seem aware of it. This might be a good topic to start from: topic49869.html.

That all said, something to consider in starting spirit keeping is that this is not something to "test". It's a serious decision to invite a spirit into your home. Spirits are beings with their own feelings and personalities, just like any person. They were once a living being and are still very much an individual deserving of respect. When you invite a spirit to be bound and to be a part of your life, you are asking for one to come to you as a friend and comrade, a confidante, to share in your life and to be a part of your family, whether that is as companion, councilor, mentor, or all of the above. This is not something to do for the fun of it, and decide to toss aside later. It is also not a substitute for interaction with the living; it is not the answer for loneliness, solitude, life problems or just for a pleasurable fling.

You sound like you've done a lot of thinking and research, so I'll not continue with that line of thought. I am sure you have seen others post similarly already. I just think these are very important things to keep in mind when someone is considering spirit keeping.

As others have said, definitely search the forums and do some digging. There is a good 10 years of topics spread about protection, types of spirits, etc. The Beginner topic is a great place to start too. Spirit Keeping is an amazing journey and I am always happy to see someone seriously consider it!

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
Kiichi9
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 10

I have a dark spirit like for 4 months and after years of 3rd eye opening training and all, I have not experienced anything, just tingling, not even vision. Almost never even had nightmares
Spirts have never caused me any disconfort.
What is more, I would like to have any manifestations from them, at least just for scaring me, but nothing...
Like on any relation, dialogue is first... they can hear you even if you can't

shieon
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 200
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
If I could be anything, I would be...: Gumiho
My magical/paranormal name...: Violet
Zodiac:

I don't want to regurgitate the same things as everyone else since I pretty much agree with all the other responses here but I would probably consider protective measures and banishing more to do with unbounds or malicious entities, rather than bound spirits. You would face more unexpected issues with unbounds, in my opinion.

Though I kind of do the same thing lol I have a small book I write in copying down whatever information there is - I have a lot of info I wrote from CH's Encyclopedia website and I wrote down all the subduing methods they mentioned for the darker spirits I have... I don't imagine I will ever use them at all though.

But anyway I do agree about the darker spirits. Honestly I've never had any problems from every spirit I've chosen and with any spirit that has chosen me - but it's still good to have spirits or entities with protection purposes, spelled items... and even doing your own wards and ritual workings.

"내가 꿈에나와도 그건 귀신이나 괴한이 아니야. 천사지."

There are some people whose dread of human beings is so morbid that they reach a point where they yearn to see with their own eyes monsters of ever more horrible shapes.

I share co-consciousness and a shared astral body with an angelic guardian entity named, "Victor," or "L." Spirit worker, demonolator, generational clairvoyant.

Johnny Seraph
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 6
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gregori Watcher
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Even a Dark Arts spirit can restrain itself, if it's serious about being in your keep.

I've seen my senior incubus get scary-mad at me, exactly once. I literally didn't have to say a thing; E. immediately saw how scared I was, and he was all over me with apologies and the most achingly gentle hugs you can imagine.

He would say, later on, that he loves me too much to lose me, and I'm starting to wonder which of us was more frightened in that moment. We've moved past that, but it was a difficult couple of minutes there, for both of us.

Point is, if they're serious about being part of your life, they will respect your rules. Dark Arts does not ipso facto mean evil. It means a spirit is CAPABLE of hurting you, yes; but that doesn't mean it's going to deliberately TRY to do so.

How much sense would that make, anyway? Why bite the hand that feeds you?

Yes, it's a good idea to have protective spirits around, to know how to banish, and the rest. But any bound spirit that would routinely need more than just their prospective keeper's word in order to behave, would probably not be a good fit in the first place.

Return to “Spirit Keeping”