Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 42
Your favorite spirit to work with: high goblins
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Raven
Zodiac:

Vega wrote:
RavenConspiracy wrote:Begin researching spirit flight and journeys to the Otherworld. For a primer, some instructions, and research references, I suggest Folk Witchcraft by Roger J. Horne. It's a lot easier than you think.
Ill take a look at it i just dont feel Comfortable spending money on something the might not work for me
I understand that, but at the same time, he writes about foundational practice in traditional witchcraft. There could not be a more common practice among witches in Europe throughout history. It’s very, very easy. Give it a try.

If you’re unwilling to spend money on books to study the craft, I hate to say you’re probably going to be floundering.

Rungr
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 4
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: other Deities
If I could be anything, I would be...: my primordial self
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Rungr
Zodiac:

You don't really need to buy a book to learn things, the internet has many guides and such freely available. That and in a lot of cases people will sculpt their experiences around what they have read which tend to result in a frontloaded experience. I never paid for a book or anything to learn how to project, the internet is entirely helpful for those who don't want to put the money into it.

Meinkráka
Gammleið
Inn bundni áss
I am a Master of my own path.
RavenConspiracy
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Zodiac:

Rungr wrote:You don't really need to buy a book to learn things, the internet has many guides and such freely available. That and in a lot of cases people will sculpt their experiences around what they have read which tend to result in a frontloaded experience. I never paid for a book or anything to learn how to project, the internet is entirely helpful for those who don't want to put the money into it.
You *can* find sources, but reliable authors are the best ones to find if you're studying tradcraft. All reliable internet sources I've found also recommend books, or they source their information. Straight up internet sources, you're going to find a lot of wishful thinking. It's certainly possible to do, but it's slower, guidance is poorer.

edit: Also in my experience, people tend to believe everything they read on the internet without looking for reputable sources. While not every author is a good one, you can usually find witches who'll recommend good ones.

Rungr
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Slower isn't a bad thing, at least if you have patience. Most that recommend do it because it's money in the pockets of those who sell the books. However, I do get paying for books are helpful. Although, my process were without paid books and I learned projecting fine without books, and with guidance from my old mentor, he gave me a method and I worked on it alone to avoid his possible frontload. How long someone achieves it isn't based on books, no books, or guidance. It's based on the amount of time and dedication they put into working with the methods they're given. Some expect to project in a matter of minutes or days, some expect it to start off being as if they're physically seeing things with their own eyes. But all in all, you don't need to throw money to get anything done, and how long you take in doing so isn't based on not throwing money away or seeking guidance. I learned to project in 2 weeks and improved from there. So the only thing that matters in my honest opinion is dedication and the right method for you.

Meinkráka
Gammleið
Inn bundni áss
RavenConspiracy
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

See, if you have a mentor, that's the ideal situation. I learned from a mentor. But buying books on magic isn't about throwing money at something, it's learning how to do something when you have no mentor to teach you. Sure, try to find things online. When I looked, I found a dearth of correct and helpful information, frankly. It's better to learn from someone who knows what they're talking about, whether in person or in writing--meaning a mentor or a book.

Most people who learn off the internet typically lack basic skills in their projection and protection, and I help them regularly after they've gotten into trouble for it and done something they shouldn't have. You *can* do it. Whether you should is another question.

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I'd say if you're learning from the Internet you need to be very comfortable that you are up to the task of evaluating your sources.

Fast is fine. Slow is fine. Different skills come to different people at different speeds and with different levels of ease or difficulty.

Under $10 for a Kindle book from a credible author to walk you through the skills needed to do the work is hardly throwing money away. Buying a book, not finishing it because you're not budging after a few days and then repeating the process would be throwing the money away.

RavenConspiracy
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

The next best thing to a mentor is to find experienced people and ask for book recommendations, because it'll have in there what they'd teach you. Or, find a person you wish WOULD mentor you, and ask the same thing. You can sometimes find these books for free, and if you can they'll be able to tell you where, most likely. Then there are libraries, which contain more magic books than you think.

Plus don't underestimate the power of buying used! You can get great books for just a few bucks. I can't count how many witches learn by used books.

draco_star898
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: in the learning process
Zodiac:

I've seen this opinion about books a lot lately and I can not understand it? Do you know how much money people used to (and still do in some cases) spend hunting down rare books and manuscripts from adepts to learn from! Any fly by night writer can post theories or regurgitated info on a blog and call it a day. We have it so easy nowadays, we can find digital copies of books free to cheap online. There is nothing wrong gathering multiple resources of info as long as you practice what resonates with you and dedicate yourself to it.

@Rungr, pls remember that everyone learns differently and what works for you won't for everyone.

@RavenConspiracy, thank you for the book rec! I've been reading thru it today.

My suggestion to the OP is to find a system to work on that vibes with you and stick with it for about three months before moving to a new one. Repetition and dedication is a huge thing when developing new skills, our brains need time to adjust and adapt to new info and ideas. Our subconscious tends to learn things before our conscious minds pick up on it and by doing an action repeatedly it let's our subconscious know that `hey this is important info.`

Vega
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 1
Your favorite spirit to work with: Succubus
If I could be anything, I would be...: Succubus
My magical/paranormal name...: Nix

Rungr wrote:Slower isn't a bad thing, at least if you have patience. Most that recommend do it because it's money in the pockets of those who sell the books. However, I do get paying for books are helpful. Although, my process were without paid books and I learned projecting fine without books, and with guidance from my old mentor, he gave me a method and I worked on it alone to avoid his possible frontload. How long someone achieves it isn't based on books, no books, or guidance. It's based on the amount of time and dedication they put into working with the methods they're given. Some expect to project in a matter of minutes or days, some expect it to start off being as if they're physically seeing things with their own eyes. But all in all, you don't need to throw money to get anything done, and how long you take in doing so isn't based on not throwing money away or seeking guidance. I learned to project in 2 weeks and improved from there. So the only thing that matters in my honest opinion is dedication and the right method for you.
If anything i'm delicate to learn it because i want to go and explore with my keep so this im certain. i will try the internet although i being all over the internet looking for astral and lucid dream methods. one of things i think is holding me back is the i think some of the methods being used are silly and i dont believe they will work. so thats probably why i havent had much success

Rungr
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Vega wrote:
Rungr wrote:Slower isn't a bad thing, at least if you have patience. Most that recommend do it because it's money in the pockets of those who sell the books. However, I do get paying for books are helpful. Although, my process were without paid books and I learned projecting fine without books, and with guidance from my old mentor, he gave me a method and I worked on it alone to avoid his possible frontload. How long someone achieves it isn't based on books, no books, or guidance. It's based on the amount of time and dedication they put into working with the methods they're given. Some expect to project in a matter of minutes or days, some expect it to start off being as if they're physically seeing things with their own eyes. But all in all, you don't need to throw money to get anything done, and how long you take in doing so isn't based on not throwing money away or seeking guidance. I learned to project in 2 weeks and improved from there. So the only thing that matters in my honest opinion is dedication and the right method for you.
If anything i'm delicate to learn it because i want to go and explore with my keep so this im certain. i will try the internet although i being all over the internet looking for astral and lucid dream methods. one of things i think is holding me back is the i think some of the methods being used are silly and i dont believe they will work. so thats probably why i havent had much success
That's understandable, I use to have that idea about astral projection because of what it is to me as opposed to etheric projection. So I always managed to etheric project but fail at astral, up until I shifted my mentality to "hey the astral can be useful for dreamwalking" lol and came to accept it.

Meinkráka
Gammleið
Inn bundni áss

Return to “Astral Projection/OBE”