new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 9
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I'm unsure exactly how to explain this, let alone what would be the correct questions to ask.

On my father's side of the family, I have Native American ancestors, being part of the Delaware tribe. I'm wondering if people with a bloodline like that would be more attuned to the practices and such. I've been trying to get as much information on the tribe my bloodline comes from, but I haven't found much, let alone any of their practices, mythology, legends and etc.

I don't have many resources at my disposal to research the Delaware/Lenape tribe, but I want to know if there is a possibility that I could boost my journey using their ways. It's not that I don't want to get invested if it doesn't seem like it would work, I'm willing to try a lot while still adjusting my lifestyle. It's just that I don't know very much on Native American culture to begin with.

So do people with Native American blood find it easier to work with their practices? I would have more questions but I'm currently struggling to find the right wording for them.

To Be Signed
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I strongly suspect culture is a bigger tie than blood. That is, if you did not grow up in that Nation, I would not expect you to find any particular strengths in their practices.

I think it is very, very important for you to keep in mind that the practices you are wanting to access are likely sacred and religious in nature rather than just a way of getting magic done or of exploring the unseen.

Different Nations and their Immortals/Deities/Ancestors have different ideas about who can access their practices, and these boundaries must be respected.

You may start here (http://delawaretribe.org/) and see what kind of public functions and education are available. If there are none, you must respect that. They don't owe you anything--not even an explanation of why you are or are not cleared to receive any education or information whatsoever. You can also try to work with any ancestors you may have contact with.

Given the sacred nature of the work--and it IS sacred and not merely a magickal system of getting things done--I would NOT ask for a conjuration and binding of an ancestor. Rather, I'd do the long and hard work of finding the right ancestor connection in the right way.

For a good overview of what can be problematic in this endeavor from the standpoint of a member of a Native Nation, you can read through this topic: topic15408-10.html?hilit=navajo#p770940

Davis7189
new here
new here
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 14
My super power would be...: Laser-beam eyes

Hello TheLoot! I think that you must to start asking for yourself what is what you really want, what are you really seeking for, and the right questions will come to you, because if you want to get access to your ancestors práctices, condirer the fact that they are not fools, and will read your heart like an open book, i meant to say if its your goal keep alive your ancestors tradición because you feel called to do so, or you want just to aproach your bloodline ties to achieve success and enrich your paranormal jorney . Blessings

“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have a spell and I have a spell and we exchange these spells, then each of us will have two spells.” lol
Rungr
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 4
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: other Deities
If I could be anything, I would be...: my primordial self
My magical/paranormal name...: Rungr
Zodiac:

The entities tied to cultures don't exactly care what background you are that's more of a human thing, however, bloodline I don't believe have much if at all a thing with the practices, and cultures can be adopted just as non-african people practice follow hoodoo as the religion or practice Voodoo as the magick, some adopt the entire culture, while others simply practice it and work with the entities tied to it. Human blood ties nor culture really matter. Although, the former does if you plan to follow maybe the religious practices.

There's some people who call on their 'ancestors' but only a select few because not all ancestors are believed to be accepting of certain aspects of a person (for example some people are mixed and their mixed blood isn't always by choice or love if you catch my drift) so even the 'ancestors' can hold resentment.

Meinkráka
Gammleið
Inn bundni áss
I am a Master of my own path.
Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 0
Zodiac:

Rungr wrote:The entities tied to cultures don't exactly care what background you are that's more of a human thing, however, bloodline I don't believe have much if at all a thing with the practices, and cultures can be adopted just as non-african people practice follow hoodoo as the religion or practice Voodoo as the magick, some adopt the entire culture, while others simply practice it and work with the entities tied to it. Human blood ties nor culture really matter. Although, the former does if you plan to follow maybe the religious practices.

There's some people who call on their 'ancestors' but only a select few because not all ancestors are believed to be accepting of certain aspects of a person (for example some people are mixed and their mixed blood isn't always by choice or love if you catch my drift) so even the 'ancestors' can hold resentment.
Some cultures, including ones indigenous to North America, DO care about shared DNA. Depending on which cultures we’re talking about, some only open the full breadth of their traditions and rituals to people with a shared bloodline. If you haven’t got the shared heritage, you will not be welcome to be taught some things or attend certain rituals, period.

Alys already linked to the thread on shamanism where this fact was discussed from standpoints of personal experience.

I can’t speak from personal experience, as a non-Native, except to share that I’ve seen indigenous folks post here and elsewhere that there are traditions where shared DNA absolutely matters. Not every tradition is wide-open and fully available to every person who takes an interest.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Rungr
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Likes2Read wrote:
Rungr wrote:The entities tied to cultures don't exactly care what background you are that's more of a human thing, however, bloodline I don't believe have much if at all a thing with the practices, and cultures can be adopted just as non-african people practice follow hoodoo as the religion or practice Voodoo as the magick, some adopt the entire culture, while others simply practice it and work with the entities tied to it. Human blood ties nor culture really matter. Although, the former does if you plan to follow maybe the religious practices.

Some cultures, including ones indigenous to North America, DO care about shared DNA. Depending on which cultures we’re talking about, some only open the full breadth of their traditions and rituals to people with a shared bloodline. If you haven’t got the shared heritage, you will not be welcome to be taught some things or attend certain rituals, period.

Alys already linked to the thread on shamanism where this fact was discussed from standpoints of personal experience.

I can’t speak from personal experience, as a non-Native, except to share that I’ve seen indigenous folks post here and elsewhere that there are traditions where shared DNA absolutely matters. Not every tradition is wide-open and fully available to every person who takes an interest.
I don't mean the people I mean the entities don't care since some cultures work with different entities and spirits they consider their higher powers or 'ancestral' powers. I'm a firm believer that you don't need to find someone physical to be taught anything that you cannot learn on your own if you are capable of researching properly.

Shamanism teachings don't need to be taught just as there was an entire idea that you have to experience temporary death to be a shaman or struck by lightning because to a handful those things were meant that you were chosen, or your life had to go to literal crap, besides shamanism existed in many cultures and you're most likely to find a lot more in Serbian shamanism while native American shamanism has been slowly being absolved into the new age movement. There are many ideas on what you have to do or be to follow a certain path, but the "spirits" involved don't care only humans do. No one is a purebred anything of any ethnicity and entities don't really care about human ethnicities. As for native Americans, the percentage of blood matters only if you're trying to be added to their tribe's roll, which was only put in place because if you hold the proper percentage in America you are qualified literally "free" money by the government so the rules are strict because quite a few Americans were told growing up they had Native American in them but the care isn't quite pure heritage but to weed out people from taking their money lol. Back then sure yes blood mattered but nowadays it's may matter to some but by far is it required.
We're in a day and age where information is at your fingertips, either by spirits or by online; free or if you have money to spend on books. However, I practice a bit of everything from my own formed path from runes, to tarot, to working with different deities from different pantheons and entities of different cultures.

I can't speak on an individual human choice to place so much value on being a certain percentage, but you dont really need someone else to teach you.

Meinkráka
Gammleið
Inn bundni áss
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Rungr wrote:
Likes2Read wrote:

I don't mean the people I mean the entities don't care since some cultures work with different entities and spirits they consider their higher powers or 'ancestral' powers. I'm a firm believer that you don't need to find someone physical to be taught anything that you cannot learn on your own if you are capable of researching properly.
In the linked thread, a person from the Navajo Nation explicitly told the forum that the Immortals they venerate only work with very specific people because they are Their descendants. Their children. And that is meant, in part, in the literal sense of a bloodline. Not every God or Immortal welcomes all comers without regard to their bloodline.

Rungr
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Alys-RaccoonReadings wrote:
Rungr wrote:
Likes2Read wrote:

In the linked thread, a person from the Navajo Nation explicitly told the forum that the Immortals they venerate only work with very specific people because they are Their descendants. Their children. And that is meant, in part, in the literal sense of a bloodline. Not every God or Immortal welcomes all comers without regard to their bloodline.
Just because he said it doesn't make it universally true, I could say the same but does it make it true? no, because my experience does not dictate everyone else's. So to believe one person says this and that does not mean he or she is fact it simply means either they are lying, or they are telling the truth for themselves, not for everyone else. The "immortals" or deities are going to go around spreading who they work with because it's a personal connection with the individual. Bloodline is only important to humans. The Loa Gods don't care if you're African descent or not, the Norse Gods don't care if you're of their descendants or not, I worked with many native American entities and quite frankly I am only 2% native American lol. Entities not of this world don't care for matters of this world, if a being goes on about "hey you're black you can't work with me and I don't want to work with you" you're most likely dealing with a thoughtform created by bigotry just as the issues in Florida where they are using Norse symbols and saying the Norse gods do not work with blacks. It's ridiculous if anything to think these beings actually care for your temporary body's genetic makeup lol, they see your soul and your soul is not African, Asian, Native American, Portuguese yadda yadda lol.

I am not saying people can't believe their cultures entities don't work with people of other ethnicities but that's all it will be, their personal experience with a real entity or their personal experience with a thoughtform of their own subconscious desires and ethnic issues. Humanity chose to worship and work with these beings, they are not defined or limited to the cultures they're placed in, that's only the limitation of a handful of human mentality.

There are black people claiming the Loa gods do not work with white people because it's cultural appropriation when in reality I have met so many white people who work with them lol. A personal view of one many no matter what does not determine the many people who openly work with them or the possible ones who keep their work to themselves lol regardless people will reach out to work with any entity they choose to whether the entity chooses to or not I find highly unlikely and borderline delusional if someone goes "they won't cause you're white" or "they won't cause you're black, Asian, Spanish" so on. People just like to assume these beings care about the conscious or subconscious racism many choose to assume the gods or entities share with them.

The only case I can see it being true is with ancestors, given a black ancestor sold during slavery or who's been beaten by a white person will refuse to work with a white descendent of theirs that is white or vice versa for any ancestor that was either for racism or the victim of it. however they were still human to that degree and affected by it so in that instance, I will agree but in any other, in regards to immortals or deities, I find it hogwash.

A handful of 'immortals' and Deities are only focused on either devotion or free roam devotion, because if they are going to put their time into you, they want you to be able to keep up and give them the time they put into you. Just as one working with Odin, he would either want you fully dedicated to him so his teachings don't go to waste or let you dedicate yourself to him and other immortals/deities not based on if your ethnicity doesn't suit his fancy.

Meinkráka
Gammleið
Inn bundni áss
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

The point is that each Deity is an individual, and not all are going to be open. You simply cannot say that none of Them going to have no bloodline preferences. Each person seeking to work with a specific Deity or system should meticulously educate themselves on what those traditions entail and who may enter them. That is the key point. Learn about the specific tradition and Deity and respect it/Them. Don't assume a path going to be open to you because that might be disrespectful. And disrespect can be counterproductive or even dangerous.

Rungr
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Working with the culture's way of doing it doesn't have anything to do with the bloodline, you can learn the culture without being part of the blood which is my point, bloodline doesn't matter as long as you honor the deities in the way THEY want you to, not what some random individual says you have to because in the end it's YOUR personal connection to that deity or group of deities not someone else's to tell you that you aren't the right ethnicity. Just because one Navajo guy said such doesn't mean it will matter to the being you are trying to honor, you're not trying to honor the Navajo man, you're trying to honor the entity in question, you may "disrespect" some random human, but whose respect really matters is the respect of the entity and that is why you ask them how can YOU honor THEM because it will probably not be the same as someone else who is honoring them.

It was more assuming that cause the Navajo man said this and that means it is universal, all the entities I've worked with from different cultures only asked I respect them by being aware of their time and energy, for someone else they may ask to respect them by means of offerings and so forth.
No one will have the same connection as another which was the point bloodline doesn't matter if you're trying to respect the entity, it only matters if you're trying to respect the deity or spirit in question. Personally, I don't really care if someone who is Nordic says I cannot work with their gods or African says I cannot Until the deity or entity tells me I cannot I will not.

You're trying to show respect to the entity, not a random guy who has no power over your path. In a lot of occult communities who work with different cultures they evoke the entity and if the entity answers they ask the entity "how can I honor you in the way you want me to" or something along those lines, that is the proper way to know what you need to do to be accepted or denied, not ask a random human of that ethnicity "how do I honor your gods" it's respectful to ask the deity yourself than to second hand it from someone who clearly will have bias and personal understanding of their own path and connection, not of your connection.

Meinkráka
Gammleið
Inn bundni áss

Return to “General Questions”