Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

These suggestions come from one of the most prolific current writers readily available for laypeople (https://fiercelybrightone.com/egyptian- ... offerings/). This list is not, of course, exclusive. It's a starting point or an easy reference for folks who like a "safe" place to start. I thought the taboos were interesting and worth noting, given how seriously Ancient Egyptians took taboos given how easily one can forget the possibility of a lexicon of ingrained or established taboos when approaching a foreign or unfamiliar Deity or culture.
Some of these are attested in ancient sources while others come from my own (or other people’s) personal experience giving offerings to the Goddess.

Liquid Offerings
Water
Milk; Chocolate Milk; Chocolate Almond Milk
Beer
Pomegranate-Wine
Sweet Wine; Riesling Wine; Mead/Honey Wine; Champagne
Apple Cider
Fruit Juices
Smoothies
Kefir

Food Offerings
Bread and Barley
Fruits and Vegetables
Strawberries/Blueberries
Figs; Fig Newtons; Dates
Various Stir-fry
Pastries; Cookies and Cakes; Pies
Chocolate; Chocolate with Almonds

Meat Offerings
Chicken or Duck
Beef (occasionally; I’d ask before offering)

Non-Food Offerings
Scents: myrrh, jasmine, rose, Florida water
Flowers: roses (especially red), blue or white flowers, lotus, lapis lazuli plant
Light: blue or white candles; beeswax candles; lanterns
Colors: Blue (Royal blue; darker shades); White
Jewelry: blue stones, lapis lazuli, turquoise, malachite; winged pendants in Her image; silver or gold;

Taboos
pork
fish; any seafood
beef (Herodotus mentions this. I’d ask Her before offering)
No White Roses (This is my own personal gnosis. Ask Her before offering).

Disposal of Offerings
1) Eat them
2) With wine or water, you can leave it to evaporate on the Shrine or pour it out as a libation when done.

Sources

El-Sabban, Sherif. Temple Festival Calendars of Ancient Egypt. Wiltshire: Liverpool University Press, 2000.

Herodotus. The Histories. translated by Aubrey de Selincourt. Penguin Classics, 1972.
Herodotus mentions that cows and pigs were not offered to Aset or eaten by Her followers in certain areas.

Lurker, Manfred. An Illustrated Dictionary of The Gods and Symbols of Ancient Egypt. London: Thames and Hudson, 1980.

Leitz, Christian, ed. Lexikon der Aegyptischen Goetter und Goetterbezeichnungen (LAGG, OLA 110, Band 1). (Peeters, 2002), 68-77. (Plant Section)

Dreamerunknown
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret

An occultist once suggested, as a basic for Egyptian religion, the novices in the fraternitas should read things by E.A. Wallis Budge, a former curator of the British museum who was interested in the occult.

:@
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Budge makes an unavoidable and important starting point, but I’ve heard Geraldine Pinch recommended more.

Dreamerunknown
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Alys-RaccoonReadings wrote:Budge makes an unavoidable and important starting point, but I’ve heard Geraldine Pinch recommended more.
Certainly depends on the praeceptor/καθηγήτρια & the stage you're at, but it doesn't surprise me.

:@
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Yeah. The impression I've gotten is that Budge's translation work is foundational but also very much a product of his cultural time and place. Pinch's approach is different both in that regard and because she's a practitioner. And she's prolific, lol. Individual mileage may vary. :)

Return to “Immortals - Specific”