neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: Djinn
If I could be anything, I would be...: Something Fuzzy...
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Personal

SilentiumBelladonna wrote:
InfernalNachos wrote:I'd go with a hard no. A hard no, as in do not share their names.

I'm not the authority on this, by any means.

But names were always a private thing. Full true names are a powerful thing, as I've always understood it. Think rumplestiltskin.

Think asian cultures where only close friends and family were allowed to call people by their given name, and all others were required to use their family name or be considered disrespectful.

Think how a great deal of people actively guard or hide their middle names. It seems almost instinct.
I'm new to spirit keeping so I was also curious about the "names having power" thing. I assumed as much because it's similar with servitors and faeries in lore, but do we know the specifics of what risks actually come with giving names? I know bound spirits are "protected" by both the cloaking and whatever binding agreement they agreed to, so I was wondering if those would perhaps cancel out any attempts to use names against them? (Either way, I'm sticking with just the first letter to be safe on the safe side...)
Let me preface this by stating the fact that I am not the foremost authority on anything. Ever. Period. But...

Unbounds. Most of us deal with them on the daily. Me not so much these days, but there was a time. I once was trying to explain something to a mentor (living human type) of mine and said "he said his na-" it would have ended "name was (insert name)" but she shut me down. But quick. Her reasoning was explained as accidental summons. Which I get. Yell brandon in a crowd and I'm not likely to lift my gaze. Throw my last name in the mix, and I might look up. But it's super common. Throw the middle name in there and I sit like a blue heeler. Depending in where you grew up, mother's would wield our names as weapons. Depending on the severity of our missteps.

And let's consider a binding. You have a vessel. Unless it's bound to spirit. In which case you're the vessel... and technically you still have a vessel. This does not mean that the spirit/entity lives inside the vessel, nor is it bound to said vessel. The vessel is a mainline connection between you and the spirit that is bound. My entities come and go as they please. I get busy and they should be able to go people watch at the mall if they feel so inclined. Mostly here with me though.

But that vessel is (and I forget where I first saw this reference, but it is still my fave) is a cellphone that only works from you to them. Could someone harm your spirit companion? That's up for debate. Could someone summon them? I believe yes. Could someone break that binding to their vessel? Highly improbable, and incredibly difficult, but very unlikely.

Those are just my views and understandings as I know the world. I could be horribly wrong. But I'm positive that I'm not.

And I truly hope that I didn't further confuse you.

Do nothing that is of no use.
-Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of the Five Rings-

Why waste magick on something you could easily achieve through time, effort and dedication?

Beware the noobsauce (take with salt)
SilentiumBelladonna
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

InfernalNachos wrote:
SilentiumBelladonna wrote:
InfernalNachos wrote:I'd go with a hard no. A hard no, as in do not share their names.

I'm not the authority on this, by any means.

But names were always a private thing. Full true names are a powerful thing, as I've always understood it. Think rumplestiltskin.

Think asian cultures where only close friends and family were allowed to call people by their given name, and all others were required to use their family name or be considered disrespectful.

Think how a great deal of people actively guard or hide their middle names. It seems almost instinct.
I'm new to spirit keeping so I was also curious about the "names having power" thing. I assumed as much because it's similar with servitors and faeries in lore, but do we know the specifics of what risks actually come with giving names? I know bound spirits are "protected" by both the cloaking and whatever binding agreement they agreed to, so I was wondering if those would perhaps cancel out any attempts to use names against them? (Either way, I'm sticking with just the first letter to be safe on the safe side...)
Let me preface this by stating the fact that I am not the foremost authority on anything. Ever. Period. But...

Unbounds. Most of us deal with them on the daily. Me not so much these days, but there was a time. I once was trying to explain something to a mentor (living human type) of mine and said "he said his na-" it would have ended "name was (insert name)" but she shut me down. But quick. Her reasoning was explained as accidental summons. Which I get. Yell brandon in a crowd and I'm not likely to lift my gaze. Throw my last name in the mix, and I might look up. But it's super common. Throw the middle name in there and I sit like a blue heeler. Depending in where you grew up, mother's would wield our names as weapons. Depending on the severity of our missteps.

And let's consider a binding. You have a vessel. Unless it's bound to spirit. In which case you're the vessel... and technically you still have a vessel. This does not mean that the spirit/entity lives inside the vessel, nor is it bound to said vessel. The vessel is a mainline connection between you and the spirit that is bound. My entities come and go as they please. I get busy and they should be able to go people watch at the mall if they feel so inclined. Mostly here with me though.

But that vessel is (and I forget where I first saw this reference, but it is still my fave) is a cellphone that only works from you to them. Could someone harm your spirit companion? That's up for debate. Could someone summon them? I believe yes. Could someone break that binding to their vessel? Highly improbable, and incredibly difficult, but very unlikely.

Those are just my views and understandings as I know the world. I could be horribly wrong. But I'm positive that I'm not.

And I truly hope that I didn't further confuse you.
Those examples make perfect sense, thank you! It's always confused me up until now that it's a well known idea ingrained in magickal/spiritual society, yet not many sources actually give examples of why. The telephone thing also makes sense, so I suppose a strong enough "call" might be able to summon them despite cloaking. (Though, I guess the conjurer would know the best answer to that since it's their cloaking method...)

They/Them | Witch | Druid

Return to “Beginner/Newbie Area”