Can I summon spirits without a real reason?

ARandomDemon
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 5
Spelled Number: 1
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Hal
Zodiac:

Let me explain.
I have a pdf of Magnolia's and Ash's 'Here Be Dragons' with a bunch of dragon types and their invocations in case you want to bring them in. There are multiple cool sounding dragon species I want to summon,but I don't really have much of a reason to do it than for mom to just describe to me on what they look like so I know if they're in the house.
When you summon spirits, I think you're supposed to ask them to do something. Problem is that I do almost all of my magic myself (except today my secretary bird familiar "F" and my Dark phoenix "S" is sitting beside a long red glass candle taking care of an issue that I can't do myself.) and I don't really have a reason to summon dragons into my house.
When I do try to summon a spirit, I try to leave them something on the counter for them to pick on and hope mom sees the spirit that might be in the room since I can't see them. That's how I ended up meeting 'S' before I had a custom conjuration done.
Anyway, I want to meet different types of dragon spirits but I don't have a reason for them to be in my house...what should I do?

Old Town
new here
new here
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Succubus
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Mathias
Zodiac:

Just a personal opinion but I'd do it and just be humble about like "thanks for coming how's your day going" anything interesting happen today? "

featheredstar
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 31
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: a wolf
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

I feel like a reason you may be overlooking would be to just meet with them. Sometimes there's no other reason then to just have a chat with one of those dragons. As suggested above, just talk with them. Indulge them in conversation. I'm not sure how rude this would be - just to summon them to see if you can, and then let them leave - so I think you need to figure out how to occupy their time to be worthwhile.

A suggestion I might have is to indulge them in a conversation or talk to them, tell them a story, tell them hopes and dreams, talk to them. That's a way to give them an offering for their time to even come to you. Or to give them some sort of food offering, or incense offering - just something to offer them. Or else it's like telling a stranger "Hey come inside, I want to look at what you have", and then telling them to get out of your house without any further interaction. Personally, to me, that sounds very rude and I'd probably get offended and decline. Dragon's are very distinct creatures, and I don't think you'd want to offend a dragon if you could help it. Being humbled and honest is definitely a way to go, too. :)

They/Them
The family: 2 dragons, 5 vampires, 2 fae, 2 elves, 2 werewolves, 1 fylgia, 1 courtwind angel, 3 ancestors, 2 phoenix, 1 hellhound, 1 volfen, 1 living high elf, 1 living unicorn shifter, 1 kitsune, 1 familiar, 1 wraith, 1 will-of-the-wisp, 1 gryphon, 1 human, 1 fallen angel, 1 merman,
ARandomDemon
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 5
Spelled Number: 1
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
My magical/paranormal name...: Hal
Zodiac:

I don't kick spirits out when they appear. If they feel like staying then it's fine but if they don't, that's fine too. Like I said, I just leave them a food offering or whatnot and hope they take it since just bringing them in without doing anything in return is rude.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

With the caveat that I would always myself stick to the precise instructions given, eg whatever the precise summoning process in that book is and whatever it may say about the need for a reason (if it does)...beyond all of that there are loads of items in the CH shop that enable us to safely summon spirits just for contact and interaction.

So it's fine to not have a 'worthy' reason on top of that. Wanting to get to know different types of spirit is itself a fine reason to go ahead and do that (using a safe, reliable method), in my opinion.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)

Dragons (most) are considered white arts so they may not be offended by your curiosity. And you have safe invocations from a knowledgeable practitioner so I wouldn't think that's a problem.

However, generally speaking, i would exercise caution in doing this with anything considered gray or dark arts (including such dragons, like black dragons). These are spirits of the dead and some do not take kindly to curious people playing at summoning.

I know some who would say do not disturb the dead without cause. It's not something to play with lightly.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Questions”