North American Folklore: Tailypo

Which legends thrill you? Make you wonder? Shaped your beliefs? We'd love to know!
Muse
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorites, sorry
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sane
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Somethin' snazzy I suppose
Zodiac:

read here

The story is a bit different depending on the source, as all are, and some are a bit better than others as far as pacing goes. However that's the general story above should you wish to read a cool kids horror story. Thing is, it actually is based upon real Legends and myths (or about as real as Bigfoot...). Given the forum we're on, I figure it's not so much a stretch to talk about it here and see others opinions on what it could actually be, as no direct name of the creature itself is given. Just what it prefers to call it's tail.

When I first heard this story, the image of something similar to a Wendigo came to mind. I never thought of it as truly beast-like in nature, and attributed human attributes to it in my imagination- especially since it could speak. I was wondering if anyone else heard this story growing up, and what their thoughts on it were. Whether or not they attributed the creature to a particular Spirit or Entity, or even if it could've been considered a being all it's own - if it existed at all.

"Do what you can, when you can, and avoid the unnecessary."
- Muse
Dreamerunknown
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Muse wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:23 am read here
When I first heard this story, the image of something similar to a Wendigo came to mind.
Yeah same, reminds me of the more negative encounters I've heard about.
Muse wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:23 am I was wondering if anyone else heard this story growing up, and what their thoughts on it were.
No, I didn't hear about that specific entity.

:@
Hitthuginn
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 45
Spelled Number: 110
Your favorite spirit to work with: Cleopatra Djinn
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

I live in the south, and remember when I was young being taken to a farm for a Halloween experience by my family, and going for a hayride at which we would make several stops with different story tellers. The tailypo story is one which I still vividly recall. The old man telling it did such a memorable job of the creature's voice that reading this page online I can still clearly hear "I want my tailypo!" in the exact feral tone with which he said it. Quite an interesting culture with cryptids, Appalachia has

Return to “Folklore & Legends”