Kids...

Do you have an idea to make the forum better? Easier to use? Submit it!
Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

The description for the 'Kids' group is as follows:
Kids
Group for kids under 16 years of age only. This is an open group, members can apply to join.
And yet I notice people who openly cite themselves as being under the age of 16 do often join, but there's no incentive or understanding for them to 'apply to join' the Kids group.
As a result, when new members under the age of 16 are posting, I and others may reply to them from a more mature perspective without realizing they are just a child.

I don't think I should have to check someone's profile or read their intro to know if they are that young (or at least claiming to be). And I know kids can lie and say they are older too, which also makes it hard to approach from the right mentality.
I would suggest that those who openly do state they are under 16 be immediately placed into the 'Kids' group, which can be taken away when they are of age (16+) if they're still active at that time.

I know when I was under 16 I was already up and into some advanced metaphysical interests, but some of these kids come in with focuses like succubi/incubi or other mature topics, since younger people do by nature get curious about mature topics (and sure some may be old souls; still...) and it just isn't very efficient in dealing with those kids if they aren't labeled as such upon joining.

I don't know how many people join this site admitting they are a kid, if there are many or few, but would it not be possible to filter through them and place them in the appropriate group??? I don't see a point at all to the Kids group if a lot of admitted kids aren't in it right now. When I looked at members in that group there were only two, when there have been many more since that have joined.
If it was just brought into the mix for parents to introduce their children to CH, I understand, but it might be wise to extend it to anyone underage who joins. Just a thought...

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
shieon
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 200
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
If I could be anything, I would be...: Gumiho
My magical/paranormal name...: Violet
Zodiac:

I really second this and even think them registering for the age they really are , they should be placed within the minors group automatically. I'm finding that I don't like writing out explanations and realizing the minor party probably won't understand or comprehend what is being written. I'm also kind of uncomfortable at the idea of 25+ year olds on here engaging with 13-15 year olds. I know there's like no way to easily filter this out if they lie about their age but that's just what I think.

"내가 꿈에나와도 그건 귀신이나 괴한이 아니야. 천사지."

There are some people whose dread of human beings is so morbid that they reach a point where they yearn to see with their own eyes monsters of ever more horrible shapes.

I share co-consciousness and a shared astral body with an angelic guardian entity named, "Victor," or "L." Spirit worker, demonolator, generational clairvoyant.

JenNeutral
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: in the learning process
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any, really.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Jen
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: N/A

I agreed! It's kind of inappropriate to talk about mature topics with minors in the thread (especially the sexual ones). I think it would be wise to put them in the Kids Group until they are old enough to comprehend the subject matters that we are discussing. I don't want them to get into stuff that they might not understand because it could lead to troubles.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” - A.A. Milne

”If you can't stop thinking about it...buy it.” - Anonymous

"Don't be too sensitive so that you can't take a harsh word from anyone." - Harika budi
featheredstar
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 31
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: a wolf
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Absolutely agreed. Without this, the minors could be given some type of advice that they'd follow that they may not understand, or be a part of a discussion that is not meant for them. Besides the fact of being liable for the information an older (age-wise) forum member may give without knowing that the subject is under 16.

They/Them
The family: 2 dragons, 5 vampires, 2 fae, 2 elves, 2 werewolves, 1 fylgia, 1 courtwind angel, 3 ancestors, 2 phoenix, 1 hellhound, 1 volfen, 1 living high elf, 1 living unicorn shifter, 1 kitsune, 1 familiar, 1 wraith, 1 will-of-the-wisp, 1 gryphon, 1 human, 1 fallen angel, 1 merman,
someone
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Don't know
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human

Isn't this discrimination?... In all seriousness, how effective would this be? Yes it may shield them from certain topics on the forums, but if they're genuinely curious then they will be running off to find the information they want from seedier groups. I haven't been here long, but I have to admit these forums have a good community with people who are generally decent. I see the point of keeping out certain adult topics that could lead to undesirable circumstances (i.e. I wouldn't want my 16 year old summoning a succubus/incubus or God knows what else), but isn't it better to have them learn such a topic through a more controlled environment than say Reddit? (Nothing against Reddit, but there's a definite lack of filters on its users). Then again they may just lie about their age. Not trying to be a jerk, just putting my thoughts here/adding to the conversation.

I'm going to save myself time: READ "THREE BOOKS OF OCCULT PHILOSOPHY"

I make the best french toast.
Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

someone wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:47 am Isn't this discrimination?... In all seriousness, how effective would this be? Yes it may shield them from certain topics on the forums, but if they're genuinely curious then they will be running off to find the information they want from seedier groups. I haven't been here long, but I have to admit these forums have a good community with people who are generally decent. I see the point of keeping out certain adult topics that could lead to undesirable circumstances (i.e. I wouldn't want my 16 year old summoning a succubus/incubus or God knows what else), but isn't it better to have them learn such a topic through a more controlled environment than say Reddit? (Nothing against Reddit, but there's a definite lack of filters on its users). Then again they may just lie about their age. Not trying to be a jerk, just putting my thoughts here/adding to the conversation.
I get where you're coming from for sure, and I'm supportive of younger people being able to safely explore adult topics that they are going to get into one way or another.
That being said, I have no idea how the 'Kid' categorization on this site actually acts. It does clearly exist, and is being used but only barely so I'd for sure like to know more about its function in the first place. I guess it is possible it could have been a parent-requested thing for their own children who were joining.
My thought was that it didn't limit young people from posting about those topics, but rather simply identified for the rest of the board that they are under 16.

So, if all it does is alert the board to the fact they are under the age of 16, that is chiefly where I am coming from when I say I think it would be beneficial. Not just to avoid inappropriate conversations, but to be able to augment any advice or responses accordingly that they can actually get more out of it really.

I know there is only so much one can do to maintain this awareness of 'who is who'. I mean, there are kids claiming they are older, but also since the dawn of the internet creepy adults claiming they are far younger as well. Ultimately it's best to be capable of reading between the lines when people post and getting a sense of what is actually going on.
I don't expect much to be done here for that reason and, since having time to really think about that have relented to it being something we just deal with as it comes up.

At the very least then, this thread can maybe service as a reminder: Hey there are kids here.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
SilentiumBelladonna
new here
new here
Zodiac:

For some reason, it didn't actually occur to me that we had kids under 16 simply because purchasing bindings online requires a card for payment... But I suppose it does make sense that there are younger folk here, too.

I'd be all for them getting automatically placed in kids since there's not only potentially moral, but also legal reasons why unknowingly giving children that young certain pieces of advice could go wrong. Besides the fact we have the Ubi forum sections open to everyone, it would be bad if a kid got into something they weren't mature enough to handle and got hurt because the person giving advice didn't realize how young they were.

With all that being said, though, I'm in the same boat as a few others with not knowing exactly how the grouping works. I don't think they need to be blocked from discussions involving adults completely, but they should definitely have some identifier tag.

They/Them | Witch | Druid
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I strongly agree minors need to be marked appropriately when adults interact with them.

someone
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Don't know
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human

Vipera aspis atra wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:21 am I get where you're coming from for sure, and I'm supportive of younger people being able to safely explore adult topics that they are going to get into one way or another.
That being said, I have no idea how the 'Kid' categorization on this site actually acts. It does clearly exist, and is being used but only barely so I'd for sure like to know more about its function in the first place. I guess it is possible it could have been a parent-requested thing for their own children who were joining.
My thought was that it didn't limit young people from posting about those topics, but rather simply identified for the rest of the board that they are under 16.

So, if all it does is alert the board to the fact they are under the age of 16, that is chiefly where I am coming from when I say I think it would be beneficial. Not just to avoid inappropriate conversations, but to be able to augment any advice or responses accordingly that they can actually get more out of it really.

I know there is only so much one can do to maintain this awareness of 'who is who'. I mean, there are kids claiming they are older, but also since the dawn of the internet creepy adults claiming they are far younger as well. Ultimately it's best to be capable of reading between the lines when people post and getting a sense of what is actually going on.
I don't expect much to be done here for that reason and, since having time to really think about that have relented to it being something we just deal with as it comes up.

At the very least then, this thread can maybe service as a reminder: Hey there are kids here.
In spite of what I said earlier I do agree there needs to be a measure of filtering without completely making the forums "1984." I didn't even know there was a "Kid" section until I saw this topic. Perhaps it should be thrown into the open more so we're aware? I agree it's tricky to implement such a system.

I'm going to save myself time: READ "THREE BOOKS OF OCCULT PHILOSOPHY"

I make the best french toast.
Creepy Hollows Crew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately having a kids group is near impossible because of verify the kids ages. since we verify the 18+ group by your ch account. and you cant purchase from us unless your over 18 it is most likely the wont have an account or use a fake birthday. and if we put all users in the kids group that don't have a ch account not only would that be a very time consuming task it would be punishing those that aren't kids just because they don have an account or use a different email for their ch account.

Return to “Forum Suggestions”