Comfort food on the ultra-cheap

Share your favorite recipes that are to die for!
Johnny Seraph
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 6
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gregori Watcher
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

This isn't something I fix often, because it's about as unwholesome as it gets.

But in a pinch, if money's tight, and I've just got to have some kind of comfort food, right the heck now, here's what I do.

"Easy Peasy Chilli Cheesy"

1 box of mac and cheese (12 or 14 oz, doesn't matter, but must have cheese sauce, not a powder)
1 roughly equal size portion of chilli (Here, I typically go with a fine grind, and no beans. Hot dog chilli actually works surprisingly well for this, and if I want to splurge a bit, I'll spring for a can of Skyline.)
1 small envelope of fried onions (optional) and/or 1 small envelope of bacon bits (optional)

Cook pasta per package directions. In a separate pan, mix cheese sauce and chilli, and warm over medium heat, stirring frequently, until well blended. Drain pasta; mix well with chilli/cheese sauce mix. Top with options, if any, and dig in.

Again, completely unwholesome, and not something I fix very often, but sometimes, I just need comfort food, and this fits the bill.

Quilin
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 32
Spelled Number: 70
Your favorite spirit to work with: daemon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dwarf
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Shadow

I'll add in mine, too!

Barbecue Sausage and Peppers
1 package cheapest sausage you can find (usually turkey Kielbasa out here)
3 bell peppers (can be frozen or grow them yourself from saved seeds for ultra cheap mode)
1 medium onion
3 cups white rice
1/2 cup either barbecue sauce or ketchup + brown sugar, garlic powder, and other spices
2 tablespoons hot sauce (or to taste)

Cook your rice as always. While the rice cooks do the rest!
Cut up the sausage into bits. Same for the onion. Brown the two of them together with a little water.
Cut the bell peppers into slightly larger bits and toss with the onions and peppers. Cook until slightly softened.
Stir everything together in a big pot: sauce, rice, and peppers/sausage/onion.
Add the sauces a little at a time as you stir until everything is coated.

This makes a HUGE pot of food that sticks with you. The leftovers are even better the next day. It costs maybe $5 out here. Savory, sweet, with a hit of salt from the sausage and heat from the hot sauce. Terrible on calories, though!

If you're busy cut up your veggies and meat then toss everything but sauce and bell peppers into an instant pot. Yes, water for the rice too! Cook it as long as you normally would cook a plain pot of rice. Microwave the cut peppers until cooked. Stir in the peppers and sauce once done.

There are no masters; only students who know more or less.

...plus various old friends who enjoy stopping by.

Return to “Dinner to Die For”