venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Wisdom Seaker wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:55 am
Since 'demon' is a broad term, as stated here. What would be the correct term for the 'demon' that possesses and cause havoc? The one's that are repelled by Holy Water and the Lords Prayer, as Magnolia stated in here thread about protection.

Edit: A Hell Demon perhaps 🤔
I'm tempted to say a fictional demon a la modern horror genre...

But I suppose the simplest answer is just "a malevolent entity".

I have personal opinions about the whole "Lord's Prayer" thing, but delving into that might break the rules so I won't share them here.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
Amarantha
neophyte
neophyte
Your favorite spirit to work with: Hellhound & Werewolf
If I could be anything, I would be...: Lampades
My magical/paranormal name...: Amarantha Lux

Tsugi wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:27 am
Wisdom Seaker wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:55 am Okay.

I've learned something new. Which is why came here in the first place. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Since 'demon' is a broad term, as stated here. What would be the correct term for the 'demon' that possesses and cause havoc? The one's that are repelled by Holy Water and the Lords Prayer, as Magnolia stated in here thread about protection.

A spirit/entity doesn't have to be a demon to possess someone. And as Amarantha said, some possessions are voluntary, like automatic writing or channeling. Too often when bad things happen people straightaway blame it on the demons. If you're looking for the correct term I'd suggest malicious beings, as that emphasizes on the behaviour rather than the race.
So true about people straight away blaming demons! Malicious or malevolent beings is more appropriate..
I actually just spoke with Magnolia recently because I got a waterfall faery and I have in my account notes NO FAE lol. Funny how I was scared of faries but not demons x*D Mostly because I just don't know much about them and what I did hear or read was bad so I did not want anything to do with them... However, the way Magnolia explained is there are many races of fae and some are not bad. So in a way, its kind of similar to "demons" in the sense that one term is used to cover so many different beings and not all are malicious.
I guess though that is where some of us humans may make mistakes as we judge things based on what little bit of information we have heard, read, or seen without really doing much research ourselves.
I guess if you look at it from the opposite side we really wouldn't want other beings judging the entire human population because of some horrible things others have done or are doing in the world.

"Light and Darkness. One cannot exist without the other. There is no true Master, without the power of balance" ~ Luis Marques

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of ones energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." ~ Aleister Crowley
darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

Wisdom Seaker wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:55 am Since 'demon' is a broad term, as stated here. What would be the correct term for the 'demon' that possesses and cause havoc? The one's that are repelled by Holy Water and the Lords Prayer, as Magnolia stated in here thread about protection.

You might need to contact Magnolia directly via the helpdesk email. It's better to ask her about it in person, rather than us interpreting what she said.

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
Wisdom Seaker
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Amarantha wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:30 pm
Tsugi wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:27 am
Wisdom Seaker wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:55 am Okay.

I've learned something new. Which is why came here in the first place. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

A spirit/entity doesn't have to be a demon to possess someone. And as Amarantha said, some possessions are voluntary, like automatic writing or channeling. Too often when bad things happen people straightaway blame it on the demons. If you're looking for the correct term I'd suggest malicious beings, as that emphasizes on the behaviour rather than the race.
So true about people straight away blaming demons! Malicious or malevolent beings is more appropriate..
I actually just spoke with Magnolia recently because I got a waterfall faery and I have in my account notes NO FAE lol. Funny how I was scared of faries but not demons x*D Mostly because I just don't know much about them and what I did hear or read was bad so I did not want anything to do with them... However, the way Magnolia explained is there are many races of fae and some are not bad. So in a way, its kind of similar to "demons" in the sense that one term is used to cover so many different beings and not all are malicious.
I guess though that is where some of us humans may make mistakes as we judge things based on what little bit of information we have heard, read, or seen without really doing much research ourselves.
I guess if you look at it from the opposite side we really wouldn't want other beings judging the entire human population because of some horrible things others have done or are doing in the world.
A very good point! Some real wisdom.

Kind regards
Wisdom Seaker

... Where the ocean meets the sky, I'll be sailing...

Wisdom Seaker
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

darkwing dook wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:12 pm
Wisdom Seaker wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:55 am Since 'demon' is a broad term, as stated here. What would be the correct term for the 'demon' that possesses and cause havoc? The one's that are repelled by Holy Water and the Lords Prayer, as Magnolia stated in here thread about protection.

You might need to contact Magnolia directly via the helpdesk email. It's better to ask her about it in person, rather than us interpreting what she said.
I wasn't asking people to interpret her words but share the incite they have on the demon world. I have learned that there are many races within the spirit world in the 'family tree'. Hence why I stated: "Edit: Hell Demon 🤔"

What are the likely race(s) of spirits or demons that was fought against by Ed and Lorraine Warren for 30+ years?

Kind regards
Wisdom Seaker

... Where the ocean meets the sky, I'll be sailing...

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

Wisdom Seaker wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:39 am I wasn't asking people to interpret her words but share the incite they have on the demon world. I have learned that there are many races within the spirit world in the 'family tree'. Hence why I stated: "Edit: Hell Demon 🤔"
The problem is Magnolia came from different tradition, not from demonolatry. Notice that she doesn't classify demons as hell demon etc. In this case, rather than asking demonolators who have their own methods, it's better to ask her directly about that holy water and lord's prayer method.

Unless you're satisfied with answers like "malevolent beings", which is a broader term than one race, or "fictional demon", which shows bias.

Wisdom Seaker wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:39 amWhat are the likely race(s) of spirits or demons that was fought against by Ed and Lorraine Warren for 30+ years?
Try asking Ash about this if you do email them directly. He knows a lot of strange stuff after all.

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member

Darkwing makes a good point about Magnolia and Ash. Neither are from demonolatry backgrounds. Asking them to clarify is best, but who knows what that answer really represents? It will be their bias reflected.

I would like to say the problem with "Hell Demon" as a name for malevolent demons that possess and require holy water or holy prayer litany to exorcise, is there is already a classification of Hellborn Demons in certain demonosophy circles. These are typically a boisterous and quick to take action bunch, but malevolent is probably not a fit adjective to describe them. This, therefore, is not a very specific name for such beings.

I think what everyone needs to understand is demons are like humans - that is, they can be of any proclivity, and trying to classify a bunch by one set of malevolent descriptions is often a mistake. It's like saying all white people are serial killers. It's more complex than that.

As to my note about "fictional demons", I am trying to say that dealing with demons as a whole via holy water or Lord's Prayer is IN ITSELF a bias and not actual truth. IF that works, and I'm extremely doubtful that it really does, then it's because the demon is absolutely playing with you and will return in force.

The church's "demonic possession" cases were almost always cases of mental or physical illness completely misinterpreted by overzealous pastors or preachers. This is WELL DOCUMENTED. There are many documentaries about this. Unfortunately, this practice is still talked about today and is still often unscientific and misinterpreted by religious people who are not trained doctors or psychiatrists. Worse, exorcism is often carried out by pastors/ preachers who have little training in recognizing such illnesses, but will believe in their religion so strongly that they believe they are helping when, in fact, they are only doing additional psychological or even physical harm.

The bottom line is the "possession" tropes that can be cured via religion, ARE A FICTION. This is mostly from movies like Exorcism and other horror movies that play on the mainly social fear of the supernatural. I mean, be logical. Do you really, honestly believe that an entity far advanced in spiritual awareness, whose races and existence are as old as this planet's creation, cares one bit about pathetic human religions or gods that have NOTHING to do with them? Think about it. These are not beings that were created by a god, they existed before our definition of "god" existed. Many of them are, in fact deities in their own right. They are not something that's only been around since Christian or Jewish or Islamist writings. They've been around a LOT longer.

Is there a classification of demon that can be interpreted as Fallen Angels like the Bible describes? Yes, there is. BUT can you honestly believe that any god has a power over beings that are independent with power of their own? Those specific beings are entities that freed themselves from serving any other power and found power from within. Do you really think paying their former master homage gives power over them? If your intention is to anger them, go right ahead. I mean seriously. Get real. 2000 year old religion versus beings FAR older? Give me a break.

The only REAL power the demons feel during an exorcism is the accidental magic of the individual performing an exorcism, that is THEIR OWN accidental display of banishing ability, NOT power granted by some 2000-year old writings. I think, if you are truly interested in demons, you would do well to examine them on an objective way and not through the lens of religious dogma.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member

Wisdom Seaker wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:39 am What are the likely race(s) of spirits or demons that was fought against by Ed and Lorraine Warren for 30+ years?
I haven't exactly done a thorough examination of their ACTUAL cases (meaning, looking at the real case facts and not just movies based on them) but there are enough black arts entities out there that "demon"is probably a poor adjective to describe them.

Also these are people who are biased by religion. Them calling malevolent entities "demons" is not surprising and probably a misclassification.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

Amarantha
neophyte
neophyte
Your favorite spirit to work with: Hellhound & Werewolf
If I could be anything, I would be...: Lampades
My magical/paranormal name...: Amarantha Lux

Regholdain wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:44 am Darkwing makes a good point about Magnolia and Ash. Neither are from demonolatry backgrounds. Asking them to clarify is best, but who knows what that answer really represents? It will be their bias reflected.

I would like to say the problem with "Hell Demon" as a name for malevolent demons that possess and require holy water or holy prayer litany to exorcise, is there is already a classification of Hellborn Demons in certain demonosophy circles. These are typically a boisterous and quick to take action bunch, but malevolent is probably not a fit adjective to describe them. This, therefore, is not a very specific name for such beings.

I think what everyone needs to understand is demons are like humans - that is, they can be of any proclivity, and trying to classify a bunch by one set of malevolent descriptions is often a mistake. It's like saying all white people are serial killers. It's more complex than that.

As to my note about "fictional demons", I am trying to say that dealing with demons as a whole via holy water or Lord's Prayer is IN ITSELF a bias and not actual truth. IF that works, and I'm extremely doubtful that it really does, then it's because the demon is absolutely playing with you and will return in force.

The church's "demonic possession" cases were almost always cases of mental or physical illness completely misinterpreted by overzealous pastors or preachers. This is WELL DOCUMENTED. There are many documentaries about this. Unfortunately, this practice is still talked about today and is still often unscientific and misinterpreted by religious people who are not trained doctors or psychiatrists. Worse, exorcism is often carried out by pastors/ preachers who have little training in recognizing such illnesses, but will believe in their religion so strongly that they believe they are helping when, in fact, they are only doing additional psychological or even physical harm.

The bottom line is the "possession" tropes that can be cured via religion, ARE A FICTION. This is mostly from movies like Exorcism and other horror movies that play on the mainly social fear of the supernatural. I mean, be logical. Do you really, honestly believe that an entity far advanced in spiritual awareness, whose races and existence are as old as this planet's creation, cares one bit about pathetic human religions or gods that have NOTHING to do with them? Think about it. These are not beings that were created by a god, they existed before our definition of "god" existed. Many of them are, in fact deities in their own right. They are not something that's only been around since Christian or Jewish or Islamist writings. They've been around a LOT longer.

Is there a classification of demon that can be interpreted as Fallen Angels like the Bible describes? Yes, there is. BUT can you honestly believe that any god has a power over beings that are independent with power of their own? Those specific beings are entities that freed themselves from serving any other power and found power from within. Do you really think paying their former master homage gives power over them? If your intention is to anger them, go right ahead. I mean seriously. Get real. 2000 year old religion versus beings FAR older? Give me a break.

The only REAL power the demons feel during an exorcism is the accidental magic of the individual performing an exorcism, that is THEIR OWN accidental display of banishing ability, NOT power granted by some 2000-year old writings. I think, if you are truly interested in demons, you would do well to examine them on an objective way and not through the lens of religious dogma.
Nice post! Wish there was a "like" button!

"Light and Darkness. One cannot exist without the other. There is no true Master, without the power of balance" ~ Luis Marques

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of ones energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." ~ Aleister Crowley
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member

I alluded to this point in my previous post, but something that really needs to be remembered is that the modern term "demon" was adopted and its definition shaped by the Christian church, and so its use its largely from a Christian bias.

The church - even before Christianity back to Judaism and Hebrew scripture - has had a tendency to label any spiritual being who is not "holy" as a "demon". They even have felt free to rename old deities with new demon names.

Satan, Lucifer, Leviathan, Belial, Lilith, Ashtaroth, and hundreds more have namesake roots in more ancient deities.

So I think everyone needs to be mindful of the idea that a "demon" is malevolent and possesses and requires holy water and Lord's Prayer to be rid of.

Demons are not, despite what modern society tends to accept, a spiritual being owned by these religions. They are nothing of the sort.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

Return to “Black Arts”