Meditation Overthinking Advice

Need help learning how to Meditate? Know any tricks on how to achieve it? Post here!
Marejule
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragon
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

Hello, I want to attempt meditation, I find it very hard though because I overthink a lot and I don't know how to quiet my mind, because I tend to babble about many stuffs on my mind. Please give me advice, thank you!

CH Moderator
acclaimed member
acclaimed member

Topic moved to suitable section.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Marejule wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:20 am Hello, I want to attempt meditation, I find it very hard though because I overthink a lot and I don't know how to quiet my mind, because I tend to babble about many stuffs on my mind. Please give me advice, thank you!
You can probably find tips out there on the internet for this.

Actually, quieting the mind has always been a problem for people. Our minds all work the same way, basically.

Some meditation techniques are based on exactly this. For example, in Zen there's a method in which you count your breaths. This gives your mind something to do. Mantra meditation also is a way to focus the mind, again giving it something to do, while your consciousness is affected by the mantra. Following the breath, or other breath awareness techniques, keep the mind occupied that way.

So being unable to quiet the mind is par for the course. Common advice is to bring your mind gently back to the focus of your meditation, when you notice it has wandered. As time goes by you'll probably find you've gradually acquired a habit of having a quiet mind.

There are also techniques for following thoughts, noticing the spaces between them or within them, and for achieving pure conscious awareness devoid of all thought. Some thought control techniques use determined focus, rather than a laid back attitude.

There are so many different types of meditation, schools of meditation within each type, meditation methods within each school and variations on each meditation method itself.

If you're already practising a meditation from one 'school', you'd do well to use the mind-quietening tips used in that school. If you're unsure what type of meditation to choose I think it's a good idea to decide what your goal is and pick a type of meditation that fits your goal.

Can you say what type of meditation you're doing and what you're doing it for?

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Marejule
new here
new here

Lewk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:22 am
Marejule wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:20 am Hello, I want to attempt meditation, I find it very hard though because I overthink a lot and I don't know how to quiet my mind, because I tend to babble about many stuffs on my mind. Please give me advice, thank you!
You can probably find tips out there on the internet for this.

Actually, quieting the mind has always been a problem for people. Our minds all work the same way, basically.

Some meditation techniques are based on exactly this. For example, in Zen there's a method in which you count your breaths. This gives your mind something to do. Mantra meditation also is a way to focus the mind, again giving it something to do, while your consciousness is affected by the mantra. Following the breath, or other breath awareness techniques, keep the mind occupied that way.

So being unable to quiet the mind is par for the course. Common advice is to bring your mind gently back to the focus of your meditation, when you notice it has wandered. As time goes by you'll probably find you've gradually acquired a habit of having a quiet mind.

There are also techniques for following thoughts, noticing the spaces between them or within them, and for achieving pure conscious awareness devoid of all thought. Some thought control techniques use determined focus, rather than a laid back attitude.

There are so many different types of meditation, schools of meditation within each type, meditation methods within each school and variations on each meditation method itself.

If you're already practising a meditation from one 'school', you'd do well to use the mind-quietening tips used in that school. If you're unsure what type of meditation to choose I think it's a good idea to decide what your goal is and pick a type of meditation that fits your goal.

Can you say what type of meditation you're doing and what you're doing it for?
I'm doing it for spellworks. I actually never do meditation before so I don't know what type ._. can you recommend one for me?

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Lewk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:22 am [...]Can you say what type of meditation you're doing and what you're doing it for?
Marejule wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:20 am I'm doing it for spellworks. I actually never do meditation before so I don't know what type ._. can you recommend one for me?
Do you mean you want meditate to help you write spells? Or cast spells? Or to connect mentally with Creepy Hollows spell bindings?

Can you be a bit more specific?

I wonder if you're simply wanting to know how to have a quiet mind so you can focus on magical work. If so, maybe the word meditation is itself stumbling block here, as you wouldn't usually meditate during spell casting. You'd cast the spell. Same with spell creating. You'd want a clear, focused mind, and to be able to focus on the task.

Is that what you're interested in? There are some mental focus techniques that might be useful.

find it again.
Marejule
new here
new here

Lewk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:56 am
Lewk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:22 am [...]Can you say what type of meditation you're doing and what you're doing it for?
Marejule wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:20 am I'm doing it for spellworks. I actually never do meditation before so I don't know what type ._. can you recommend one for me?
Do you mean you want meditate to help you write spells? Or cast spells? Or to connect mentally with Creepy Hollows spell bindings?

Can you be a bit more specific?

I wonder if you're simply wanting to know how to have a quiet mind so you can focus on magical work. If so, maybe the word meditation is itself stumbling block here, as you wouldn't usually meditate during spell casting. You'd cast the spell. Same with spell creating. You'd want a clear, focused mind, and to be able to focus on the task.

Is that what you're interested in? There are some mental focus techniques that might be useful.
It is to connect with spell, it's not me casting the spell. I am told to meditate after the spell is casted.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Marejule wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:44 pm It is to connect with spell, it's not me casting the spell. I am told to meditate after the spell is casted.
Ok.

This is the main How To for that.

https://shop.creepyhollows.com/spell-ma ... nners.html

The introduction tells you how to work with Creepy Hollows spell bindings. In that it says:

"This also means spending time with the spell in reflection or a meditative state, and allowing the magic to flow through you & around you so you can identify the spell through its unique energy signature." [my underlining]

This is really just sitting or lying, relaxed, undisturbed and un-distracted, calmly, quietly. Maybe breathing calmly.

If you have a physical vessel for the spell binding, you can hold it, tune into it / connect with it and do what it says in the quote above.

It says "a meditative state", which is just another way of saying what I say above. It doesn't mean you have to learn a form of meditation. If you find your mind wandering, don't stress out. Sometimes a spell binding may affect our mental flow and we may notice a subtle impression from the spell - so some mental wandering could be part of connecting with it.

Spending some quiet time in contemplation (ie reflection) with the spell is all it is, really.

find it again.
stormdancer
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: the ones in my keep
If I could be anything, I would be...: dunno yet
My magical/paranormal name...: Giver of scritches
Zodiac:

I do a couple of things to help me meditate:
  • Meditating in a seated position. Lying down and trying to meditate puts me to sleep.
  • Listening to music/nature sounds with headphones on. The headphones help block out ambient noise and makes it easier for me to focus when my mind wanders.
  • Guided meditations work wonders for keeping your mind on task
    Counting breaths.
  • Count to 10 and then start over. I count every exhale but you can totally do Inhale 1, Exhale 2, etc. When your mind starts to wander start over.
Hope these help.

Why dip your toe in the water when you can do a cannonball?

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

I wanted to say if you're tryin to connect with a CH spelled vessel, it helps to not clutter your mind up with a meditation technique. Just leave it free to connect with the binding.

find it again.
Whyme
active contributor
active contributor
Spelled Number: 1
Zodiac:

Hi

I too have racing thoughts cross my mind. If I want help to quiet my mind, all I do is sit, hold a green fluorite in my left hand and a purple fluorite in my right hand. Eventually I notice that with their help my mind becomes much calmer.

Life is more amazing when enriched with spirits. <3

Return to “Meditation”