I'm looking to expand my knowledge on the different associations of the elements. Does anyone know where I should look ?

The_Silver_night
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Thenightmoon
Zodiac:

I'm looking to expand my knowledge on the different associations of the elements. Does anyone know where I should look for this info ?

I know fire is mostly associated with desire or passion but else is it associated with ?

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

How long have you got?

You might be best off searching online for resources or books and seeing what resonates for you or what would work for your purposes.

There's a diversity of different schools and approaches, as well as different cultures to draw from. You'll find a bewildering array of diverse detail.

The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram can be one place to start. The LBRP parts of this book get you started with the Archangels of the 4 directions, each representing one of the elements, and the colours associated with in the Golden Dawn system, which was highly influential in modern Western occultism.

https://www.amazon.com/Middle-Pillar-Ba ... 1567181406

I'm tempted to say another place to start is with the wisdom found in the final scene of the movie 'The Fifth Element'. You know, where Leeloo says: "Wind blows, fire burns, rain falls..." (or water is cold). That basic kind of understanding must be where humans began ordering their understanding of the elements.

So, Fire is usually assigned to the South, where most heat is experienced at noon and it gets colours like red associated with it. In cultures influenced by the Greek understanding of the elements, sayings found their way in to cultural mindsets a long time ago. So we may talk about someone having a fiery personality and so on.

Looking at how astrology categorises the elements may also be a good way in to it all.

Sorry but I can't think of one go-to place to get all the info you need. I think you'll most likely need to devote quite some time to studying and accumulating a good understanding of the elements.

In my case I can think of around 4 systems that I studied for maybe a year or more each, from which I drew most of my understanding of the elements.

Fyi there are also different ways of working with the elements, apart from with their associations. We can learn to communicate with the elements' spirits (eg sylphs, ondines, gnomes & salamanders) and with the elemental kingdoms. We can also channel elemental energy, either for ourselves or for workings in nature.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
The_Silver_night
new here
new here
Zodiac:

Lewk wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:14 pm How long have you got?

You might be best off searching online for resources or books and seeing what resonates for you or what would work for your purposes.

There's a diversity of different schools and approaches, as well as different cultures to draw from. You'll find a bewildering array of diverse detail.

The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram can be one place to start. The LBRP parts of this book get you started with the Archangels of the 4 directions, each representing one of the elements, and the colours associated with in the Golden Dawn system, which was highly influential in modern Western occultism.

https://www.amazon.com/Middle-Pillar-Ba ... 1567181406

I'm tempted to say another place to start is with the wisdom found in the final scene of the movie 'The Fifth Element'. You know, where Leeloo says: "Wind blows, fire burns, rain falls..." (or water is cold). That basic kind of understanding must be where humans began ordering their understanding of the elements.

So, Fire is usually assigned to the South, where most heat is experienced at noon and it gets colours like red associated with it. In cultures influenced by the Greek understanding of the elements, sayings found their way in to cultural mindsets a long time ago. So we may talk about someone having a fiery personality and so on.

Looking at how astrology categorises the elements may also be a good way in to it all.

Sorry but I can't think of one go-to place to get all the info you need. I think you'll most likely need to devote quite some time to studying and accumulating a good understanding of the elements.

In my case I can think of around 4 systems that I studied for maybe a year or more each, from which I drew most of my understanding of the elements.

Fyi there are also different ways of working with the elements, apart from with their associations. We can learn to communicate with the elements' spirits (eg sylphs, ondines, gnomes & salamanders) and with the elemental kingdoms. We can also channel elemental energy, either for ourselves or for workings in nature.
Thanks for the information do you have any recommendations on sites or books I should look at ?

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

I'm sorry, I can't recommend any books, partly because I don't know what path you're on and I could in any case only mention books I've studied, which genuinely may not be what you're looking for.

What path would you say you're on, or what do you plan to do with knowledge of the elements? For example, are you thinking of doing magic or wiccan type workings?

If so, just start searching on Amazon. You'll probably find something that suits you.

find it again.
The_Silver_night
new here
new here
Zodiac:

I'm really don't have an exact path really, more so just looking to expand my knowledge bases, but if had to choose a path it would by energy magic. I appreciate your help

-arianna-
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampires
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

Because most magickal traditions have some level of elemental magick woven into them, you can learn more about the elements, their powers, nature and associations if you pick up any beginners' book of any tradition (eg. Wicca, traditional witchcraft, hoodoo etc). You will, of course, find similarities and differences between these systems as to how they view the elements (for example the colors associated with each element and the direction assigned change from system to system, as it often has cultural connotations and is based on the geographical location and topography of the area where the system or tradition originated or was for the most part developed).

Off the top of my head I'd say check out "Initiation into Hermetics" by Franz Bardon and "Practical Elemental Magick" by Sorita d'Este.

Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

-arianna- wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:32 am Because most magickal traditions have some level of elemental magick woven into them, you can learn more about the elements, their powers, nature and associations if you pick up any beginners' book of any tradition (eg. Wicca, traditional witchcraft, hoodoo etc). You will, of course, find similarities and differences between these systems as to how they view the elements (for example the colors associated with each element and the direction assigned change from system to system, as it often has cultural connotations and is based on the geographical location and topography of the area where the system or tradition originated or was for the most part developed).

Off the top of my head I'd say check out "Initiation into Hermetics" by Franz Bardon and "Practical Elemental Magick" by Sorita d'Este.
I think those are both excellent suggestions.

I was originally going to suggest Franz Bardon's IIH too. It has an excellent information section on the soul mirror of the elements (see also link below). For those who are willing to commit to take the actual course in the book, day by day, week by week, (cold morning shower by cold morning shower, brushing your skin with a boar bristle brush), you will eventually reach the chapter in which you learn to accumulate/channel the elements' energy. Please be warned, there are no shortcuts - but the information alone is well worth the price of the book, if you ask me.

https://theomagica.com/soul-mirror-of-the-elements

Now I know what path/aspect you're looking at, I'd also like to suggest you consider checking out Levanah Shell Bdolak's 'Eco-Spirit: A Spiritual Guide to Healing the Planet', Paperback – December 1, 1991, published by Voyant.

There are 2 main chapters that deal with the elements, first discussing them and next teaching how to work with the energy of the elements and with the elemental kingdoms, how to open those 'gates' through the tattvas symbols and bring the energy in to heal places in nature. It is energy work and it's based on the system taught in the first part of the book.

(I think I may be splitting hairs somewhat if I say it isn't strictly speaking magic: but it isn't a method you can use to improve your life, bring in good luck, get a job, defeat enemies etc.) It's pure energy work. There are also sections that teach the reader how to ground and centre and clear oneself of blocking influences. And, as the title suggests, exercises that can be used to help heal the planet.

https://www.amazon.com/Eco-Spirit-Spiri ... 0944278027

Technically speaking, the foundation of the practice is the same system taught in 'Basic Psychic Development: A User's Guide to Auras, Chakras & Clairvoyance Paperback', by John Friedlander & Gloria Hemsher, which has been sold in the CH Shop from time to time.

The underlying system for both comes from the work of Lewis Bostwick, founder of the Berkeley Psychic Institute in the 1970s.

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Psychic-De ... 1578635195

find it again.

Return to “Beginner/Newbie Area”