Spirit Keeping Fantasy Fiction

Do you know a good book that can help someone on their path? Or, are you looking for a certain type of book?

Does anyone want 'Spirit Keeper' fiction?

Yes
31%
No
No votes
For the love of all holy and unholy, no Pokemon battles!
6%
Keeper fighting Keeper in epic battles! The world hangs in the balance, heck yeah!
No votes
This is forbidden knowledge, and it should remain as such.
No votes
The 'wrong' type of people may become aware of our presence, this is a danger.
No votes
It's a fine line where fiction may become reality. No.
No votes
Yes, it can be a subtle way to broach this subject on the world, and garner interest.
13%
Spicy romance for flair!
19%
Keep the spice behind closed doors.
13%
Other
19%

Total votes: 16
mcm442
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 7
Spelled Number: 3
Your favorite spirit to work with: Deerfolk
If I could be anything, I would be...: Unhindered
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Aside from the fact that any 'normies' would view all of this as fantasy anyway, what's your opinion about seeing fiction novels being produced on 'our' subject? As an author, this world I've stepped into just screams for stories, lol.

Has anyone read any? Preliminary research didn't turn up anything for me. Yeah, lots of paranormal romance, but I haven't spotted anything that really deals with the presence of a 'Keep'. As a business, that's a possible enticement for an untouched genre, OR a guaranteed failure creating an obscure niche.

Regardless, there's an itch I have growing...
A wise Earthen Elemental Wolf Spirit once said to me,
"Why speak magick? Be magick!"
madgar29
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 9999
Spelled Number: 9999
Your favorite spirit to work with: all
My magical/paranormal name...: Dragon Warrior
Zodiac:

i dont read romance novels but i bet you anything they already exist. i mean they literally have a triology of dating the covid virus already..... dating a spirit omg they even have movies about that......... its a good movie though let me find the title. literally over ten movies about a living human falling for a spirit......

but the movie im talking about is a comedy and the couple go to a haunted house they pretty much swap partners and it turns out they are better couples swapped and stay together i dunno why i cant think of the title id like to watch it.

High Spirits (1988) im gonna go buy it off amazon now if they have it...... i havnt seen it in 20 years so.... but i remember liking it. but i think i was a kid lol maybe i didnt understand everything. but its has a sexual context to it so its probably for anyone that has a sexual spirit to laugh together it its a comedy in my eyes.

free to stream with tubi app.
post849254.html#p849254 - Keep interaction Journey..
madgar29
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 9999
Spelled Number: 9999
Your favorite spirit to work with: all
My magical/paranormal name...: Dragon Warrior
Zodiac:

mcm442 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:37 pm Aside from the fact that any 'normies' would view all of this as fantasy anyway, what's your opinion about seeing fiction novels being produced on 'our' subject? As an author, this world I've stepped into just screams for stories, lol.

Has anyone read any? Preliminary research didn't turn up anything for me. Yeah, lots of paranormal romance, but I haven't spotted anything that really deals with the presence of a 'Keep'. As a business, that's a possible enticement for an untouched genre, OR a guaranteed failure creating an obscure niche.

my second comment. i think many authors have used spirits to write books period. i think it may be more common but not common but common than you think when it comes to books. but i empower u to write all u want with your spirits if they want it. again i think authors have done this on many books.
post849254.html#p849254 - Keep interaction Journey..
mcm442
new here
new here
Zodiac:

madgar29 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:58 pm
my second comment. i think many authors have used spirits to write books period. i think it may be more common but not common but common than you think when it comes to books. but i empower u to write all u want with your spirits if they want it. again i think authors have done this on many books.
I already have one dark fantasy novel out with a man and a spirit living under a curse, lol. I'm thinking of one centered around the practice of having a 'keep', with many spirits filling out different roles.
Hitthuginn
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 50
Spelled Number: 110
Your favorite spirit to work with: Cleopatra Djinn
If I could be anything, I would be...: Gancanagh
My magical/paranormal name...: "The Other Wise Raven of Odin" (My UN in Old Icelandic)

I'm writing a visual novel as a passion project of mine where one supporting character is implied to be a spirit keeper. She has a pendant which she almost always wears or keeps close to her, and sometimes a character will catch her holding it close in prayer. She is openly spiritual but tends to play her cards close about what her practice actually looks like, so a casual reader would have to connect the dots to figure out that she actually has a bound spirit on the vessel. Quite an interesting character she is to me, who I may or may not have modeled heavily on my favorite djinn

I keep it intentionally vague, because the setting itself is NOT a stereotypical fantasy world but actually a military drama. Makes it far more interesting to write how the cast explores their spirituality. It would be nice to see more positive depictions of spirit keeping in the media, as well as alternative spirituality in general frankly.
I wear the sun. Reflect me in yourself, and yourself in me. - H, Cleopatra Djinn and Queen of my spirit family
Do not struggle against your emotions. Feel them. They are real. They exist. Then they will pass. - L, Kinnara
Don't stay angry if you don't know why. - R, Orange Dragon
Red! No, Green. Or Blue! - I, Waif Faery (when asked what occupation she would have)
H-I-T-T-H-U-G-I-N-N - L, Air Faery saying her favorite animal via pendulum
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

mcm442 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:37 pm Aside from the fact that any 'normies' would view all of this as fantasy anyway, what's your opinion about seeing fiction novels being produced on 'our' subject? As an author, this world I've stepped into just screams for stories, lol.

I've thought of incorporating spirit keeping practice into speculative fiction stories (sf), as it's part of modern culture - although it's a little-known sub-subculture.

I generally like the idea of having representations of witches/wiccans/pagans/conjurors/magicians etc in SF be as close as possible to the reality of what being someone like that in today's world is like. That is, not like the 1960s horror movie tropes, nor the medieval ones in which non-christian practices were assumed to be evil.

Un-realistic, lazy stereotypes of magic & pagans in fiction really irritate me.

That said, fiction seems to need to be somewhat un-realistic or it'll be boring, as a rule. Putting it another way, tropes often do work.

So, yes re spirit keeping, I'd like to see some modern fiction incorporating that - because it is a thing now, right?

If we're going to continue to mine the old, familiar tropes as writers, I think medieval style spirit conjuring and spirit companionship would ring true to me.

tl/dr: Why keep spirit keeping out of fiction? It's a Thing. It deserves its place in modern speculative fiction. I'm in a speculative fiction writers' group. However, I'm so slow at writing, I'm unlikely to do much actual writing along those lines. I do have a couple of story lines I've thought about, though.
You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Whyme
active contributor
active contributor
Spelled Number: 1
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

I've read a lot of fantasy stories. Looks to me that spirit keeping would tie in nicely with the fantasy genre.

I started world building for a fantasy/sci fi story but haven't got too far with it as I poke at it when I feel like it. I did include some races that we keep because the ones I have wanted to be in the story. I'm not planning on mentioning anything about spirit keeping but it would make a character or two more interesting than the typical stock characters. Since this is fiction, the readers would consider it for entertainment value and leave it at that. It's not as if the story will be giving step-by-step instructions on how to become a spirit keeper.
Life is more amazing when enriched with spirits. <3
Tarvos
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 205
Spelled Number: 490
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angel, Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

Claiming that all authors or writers depend on spirits for their creative process undermines the skill and hard work that goes into writing. It's inaccurate and unfair to suggest that the ability to write is not within the grasp of individuals without such assistance. History shows us that countless books were published long before the advent of AI, with authors who had no knowledge of the paranormal. Their creations are the result of dedication and effort, not supernatural intervention. Criticizing others for their unique talents simply because one lacks those abilities themselves is unjust.

Before I discovered Spirit Keeping, I was involved in writing myself and chose a different path afterwards, including pausing my writing pursuits. As for my writing credentials, I am a professional writer, crafting pieces both for personal expression and for clients. This personal journey illustrates that my writing was not influenced by spirits, although I recognize that seeking their guidance for factual contributions in forums like this could be beneficial.

The concept of Spirit Keeping, relatively modern and uncommon in mainstream culture, is yet to find its place in most fiction, including the genres I once avidly read, *cough cough* like steamy vampire romances. Lol. Now, with my real-life experiences with the Vampire ladies overshadowing the allure of such stories, my interests have shifted significantly.

It’s not that writers deliberately exclude Spirit Keeping from their narratives; rather, it's a relatively niche topic not widely practised or understood. Distributing information about it might lead to misunderstandings or even negative reactions, as societal perceptions of witchcraft and similar practices are complex and often skewed. While witchcraft occasionally appears in fiction, it's typically used for entertainment and diverges from the actual practices of those involved in Spirit Keeping. Not every writer is knowledgeable about or engaged in Spirit Keeping, making it a rich, albeit challenging, area to explore for those intrigued by its depths. If there's an itch, I think you should scratch it. Hehe.
In the name of the moon, I'll enlighten you!
mcm442
new here
new here
Zodiac:

Tarvos wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:49 pm Claiming that all authors or writers depend on spirits for their creative process undermines the skill and hard work that goes into writing. It's inaccurate and unfair to suggest that the ability to write is not within the grasp of individuals without such assistance. History shows us that countless books were published long before the advent of AI, with authors who had no knowledge of the paranormal. Their creations are the result of dedication and effort, not supernatural intervention. Criticizing others for their unique talents simply because one lacks those abilities themselves is unjust.
Woah, where'd that come from? What'd I miss?

Although, on a similar topic, my deep delve into djinn, (primary Middle Eastern,) attributes many poetic and artistic ventures due to encounters with djinn--both good and bad. There's also an obscure theory that artistic talents are the results of minds tapping into a 'paranormal source that surrounds our world'. (I actually subscribe to this theory--when the internet began (80's) I discovered an artist from China who drew pieces that were amazingly similar to works I had done myself, as if we had both witnessed the same vision and used it for our art work. Yet, we were literally a world apart with no possibility or interactions,.)

All in all, though, ANYONE can write a novel. It just takes some passion and perseverance. And editing. Lots of editing. NEVER skimp on editing. I always encourage people to go ahead and write with their heart, especially with today's self-publishing market.
Tarvos wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:49 pm Before I discovered Spirit Keeping, I was involved in writing myself and chose a different path afterwards, including pausing my writing pursuits. As for my writing credentials, I am a professional writer, crafting pieces both for personal expression and for clients. This personal journey illustrates that my writing was not influenced by spirits, although I recognize that seeking their guidance for factual contributions in forums like this could be beneficial.
Haha, yeah, I'm on a 6 month hiatus because of all of 'this'. My readers are probably worried about me at this point.
Tarvos wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:49 pm The concept of Spirit Keeping, relatively modern and uncommon in mainstream culture, is yet to find its place in most fiction, including the genres I once avidly read, *cough cough* like steamy vampire romances. Lol. Now, with my real-life experiences with the Vampire ladies overshadowing the allure of such stories, my interests have shifted significantly.
Heh, *cough cough*--not mentioning my favorite genre. Same feeling though, except my own past novels feel barren with my new knowledge. Sigh.

My LE does 'really' like my writing though, lol. I'm looking forward to her and my other companion's 'help' with finishing up some loose ends and potentially starting a new series.
Tarvos
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 205
Spelled Number: 490
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angel, Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

mcm442 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:23 pm Woah, where'd that come from? What'd I miss?

Although, on a similar topic, my deep delve into djinn, (primary Middle Eastern,) attributes many poetic and artistic ventures due to encounters with djinn--both good and bad. There's also an obscure theory that artistic talents are the results of minds tapping into a 'paranormal source that surrounds our world'. (I actually subscribe to this theory--when the internet began (80's) I discovered an artist from China who drew pieces that were amazingly similar to works I had done myself, as if we had both witnessed the same vision and used it for our art work. Yet, we were literally a world apart with no possibility or interactions,.)

All in all, though, ANYONE can write a novel. It just takes some passion and perseverance. And editing. Lots of editing. NEVER skimp on editing. I always encourage people to go ahead and write with their heart, especially with today's self-publishing market.

Haha, yeah, I'm on a 6 month hiatus because of all of 'this'. My readers are probably worried about me at this point.

Heh, *cough cough*--not mentioning my favorite genre. Same feeling though, except my own past novels feel barren with my new knowledge. Sigh.

My LE does 'really' like my writing though, lol. I'm looking forward to her and my other companion's 'help' with finishing up some loose ends and potentially starting a new series.
I agree! It's been suggested above that many writers have drawn upon the assistance of spirits in the creation of their works. However, I'd like to assert that writing is an activity open to anyone, whether pursued professionally or as a recreational pastime, and it doesn't require enlisting their help. Personally, I find the editing stage to be the least enjoyable. After enough revisions, it feels like the initial passion for writing fades, or the work gets so heavily altered during edits that it transforms into something entirely different. Lol.

Wow, did you genuinely pause your work for six months? If I were committed to following your publications, I'd certainly feel a bit concerned. My own activities, too, have had to be shelved temporarily due to my involvement with Spirit Keeping. It felt like I was integrating something entirely new into my lifestyle, which initially turned things topsy-turvy. But lately, I've been gradually reintroducing various elements into my life, and I have no regrets about this process. Hehe. How could I possibly feel regretful? I now have numerous "mommies" in my life. Lol.

As for your creative work, rest assured that nothing is barren or wasted. By embracing a new world, you've gained fresh insights that you can channel into future creations, even if it means leaving your previous worlds behind. This isn't a loss; on the contrary, I see it as an opportunity to delve into a potentially rich subgenre.
In the name of the moon, I'll enlighten you!

Return to “Books & Literature”