~*Camelot*~

Which legends thrill you? Make you wonder? Shaped your beliefs? We'd love to know!
wishing apon a star
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Your favorite spirit to work with: White light Ones
If I could be anything, I would be...: Being My Divine Self
Zodiac:

Just saying that word brings such joy to me. Its very enchanting and seems to hold alot of mystery too.Im hoping to learn more about Camelot & all that reigned in that time. :flower:

Does anyone have any knowledge that they are willing to share?
Warmest Wishes<3
When I count my Blessings, I Always count You Twice<3
::bop:: Creepy Hollows Cheerleader ::bop::
Healings Happen with Love<3
Creepy Hollows Rocks My Socks !
Mongrella
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 20
Spelled Number: 30
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampires
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vamp!
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Not for public consumption
Zodiac:

I don't know much about the Camelot stuff. But if you want to know about Merlin & Arthur you need to read the Welsh tales. Thankfully, you can find them written in English!
Mongrella

'We have no reliable guarantee that the afterlife will be any less exasperating than this one, have we?' ...Noel Coward
wishing apon a star
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: White light Ones
If I could be anything, I would be...: Being My Divine Self
Zodiac:

:hug: Thank You Mong<3
Ive been trying to find all I can about it !
Warmest Wishes<3
When I count my Blessings, I Always count You Twice<3
::bop:: Creepy Hollows Cheerleader ::bop::
Healings Happen with Love<3
Creepy Hollows Rocks My Socks !
Mongrella
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 20
Spelled Number: 30
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampires
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vamp!
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Not for public consumption
Zodiac:

You should explore the Mabinogion - ancient Welsh tales. This is a link http://www.mabinogion.info/
(There are quite a few others if you Google it.)
Our old stories hold a great deal of ancient magickal lore. One thing with the Arthur/Camelot saga that often gets overlooked is that Cornwall was one of the Celtic kingdoms. So there would have been a close link between Cornwall (King Mark) and Wales (Arthur). And that Guinevere ( properly, Gwynhwyfar) was a Welsh princess! For the Lady of the Lake, this is a good start http://www.earlybritishkingdoms.com/bios/nimue.html ( another Welsh girl, see!)
The whole Knights in Armour thing is a much later addition.
Mongrella

'We have no reliable guarantee that the afterlife will be any less exasperating than this one, have we?' ...Noel Coward
vixenMC
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 100
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

I once took a course on Arthurian Legends - an incredibly intensive study on middle english literature.

It was a fun course. Lots of - ahem - intense debate between literature and popular movie representations such as The Sword in the Stone, First Knight, Excalibur, Mists of Avalon, Monty Python's Holy Grail, and even Kill Bill. (OK, not so much on Monty Python - we usually just quoted the funny bits, but you'd be surprised at how well the prof's Kill Bill example of honour in combat works well with how Arthur and his Knights fought.)

I could go over the notes and direct you to some print or online resources you might like to look at. We didn't focus much on the magic part (cuz it was an english course), but the stories are intriguing to listen to, hilarious to try to imitate in speech, hard to read by yourself, but fun to actually find out about Arthur and Camelot (not just the pop culture stuff about the Arthur-Guinevere-Lancelot love triangle).
vixenMC
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 100
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

Just found the books we used - Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur. This one is closer to the modern english so the text shouldn't be too hard to read. The other was The Middle English Stanzaic Morte Arthur and Alliterative Morte Arthure by TEAMS Middle English Texts Series. This one might be a bit hard to follow. Don't know if you'd want to buy the book - it might be hard to find, but if you like reading about obscure battles and other stuff, this is one way to go about it.

Just a cautionary remark: If there's one way to summarize the texts, it's a lot like the movie 300 with over-the-top fighting. There are magical elements to some of the stories, but if you're into flowery romance, this might not be the one for you. (Hmm, although I wouldn't mind watching a 300-esque Arthur, especially if it was Gerry Butler :drool: .)

There's also a link for some more resources you might like to look at:
http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/cphome.stm
Lots of stuff there - it might take a while to go through it all.
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

I have read the welsh tales myself. Very interesting stuff. I was named after one of the legends working into the welsh mythology (Rhiannon). I must admit I am not as versed about it as I would like to be, I hope to find the time to read more about Camelot soon as it was quite intriguing to me during my childhood.

Return to “Folklore & Legends”