Magic or Paranormal Book Recommendations?

Do you know a good book that can help someone on their path? Or, are you looking for a certain type of book?
Lampropeltis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gods and creatures.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human's fine for now
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: It's a mystery! ;)
Zodiac:

Well, in several weeks, I'll be going to a super-awesome bookstore, so thought some recommendations might be handy, for me, and for other people. So what books do you recommend?

Here's my list. (the lists for beginners and intermediate is flexible and interchangeable, it was the best way I could categorize them.)

For beginners:
*Real Energy by Phaedra and Isaac Bonewits (the nuts and bolts of how energy works in different traditions and systems. There's also a title called 'Real Magic' which is about theory. Great if you're fine with a lot of talk about theory, puns, and snark.)
*Complete Illustrated Guide to Tarot by Rachel Pollack (The best book I've found on Tarot yet.)
*Learning Ritual Magic Fundamental Theory and Practice for the Solitary Apprentice by John Michael Greer, Clare Vaughn and Earl King, Jr (Rich, well thought out book I'm working through at a two-toed sloths pace)

For Intermediate:
*Trance-portation Learning to Navigate the Inner World by Diana L. Paxson (About Shamanic Journeys, flexible enough for various belief systems)
*On Becoming an Alchemist by Catherine MacCoun (essentially transforming the inner world to transform the outer world. Will probably ruffle the feathers of those deadly serious about the Akashic records and she often speaks in riddles, but I found this book delightful.)

Random Reference:
*A World Full of Gods by John Michael Greer (The first book to explore the nuts and bolts of polytheism (that I'm aware of). Dry as toast, and a bit harsh on Monotheism, but it gives excellent food for thought.)
*Monsters by John Michael Greer (Some of the info directly contradicts CH info, but there's still a lot of excellent information, and the section on ritual magic saved my bacon.)
*The New Encyclopedia of the Occult by John Michael Greer (You may notice a trend in authorship. Extensive Book)
*Animal Speak by Ted Andrews (User-friendly book on the different energies of various animals)

Stories:
*Ghost Investigating the Other Side by Katherine Ramsland (One womans journey with a somewhat nasty haunted ring. Been a while since I read it, but I enjoyed it)
*Three Men Seeking Monsters by Nick Redfern (the author and his friends gallivant over England, looking for odd creatures. Fun and eerie)

Myths:
*D'aulaires Book of Greek Myths (Easy reading without being dumbed down, lavish illustrations, good for kids or adults. A favorite of mine.)
*D'aulaires Book of Norse Myths (Ditto)

What books do you recommend? :feedback:

"With great power comes great responsibility." -Uncle Ben
moonstone
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Masheba
If I could be anything, I would be...: Shapeshifter
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Fawn Moonstone Clover
Zodiac:

The Celestine Prophecy

It's paranormal/magic in a sort of roundabout way, but it is seriously life changing!

moonstone

Moonstone

In western lands beneath the Sun the flowers may rise in Spring, the trees may bud, the waters run, the merry finches sing. Or there maybe 'tis cloudless night and swaying beeches bear the Elven-stars as jewels white amid their branching hair. Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars for ever dwell: I will not say the day is done nor bid the stars farewell. ROTK
sage of aquarius
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced

http://www.creepyhollows.com/phpBB3/vie ... 64&t=12526

Wiccan Warrior Alex gave a very comprehensive list of books in this topic.

As far as tarot related texts, these are my personal favorites:
78 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack
Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack
The Secret Language of Tarot by Ruth Ann & Wald Amberstone, good for learning about symbology
21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card by Mary K. Greer, she has several other good texts
The Qabalistic Tarot by Robert Wang

Shamanism:
Awakening to the Spirit World by Sandra Ingerman and Hank Wesselman, comes with a drumming CD

Chakras:
Kundalini and the Chakras by Genevieve Lewis Paulson, a little more advanced text that moves into the chakras of the seven bodies

Spiritual Awakening:
Dancing the Dream by Jaime Sams, great text discusses some of the physical changes that can occur through the various stages of ascension

These are the ones that I can come up with off the top of my head.

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
Lampropeltis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gods and creatures.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human's fine for now
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: It's a mystery! ;)
Zodiac:

Thank you both for the recommendations, and also for the link! :applause: I'm taking notes.

"With great power comes great responsibility." -Uncle Ben
DarkAddictions
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

I'm finding this book to be an interesting read: Magical Herbalism by Scott Cunninham.

I am not ready to try making my own athame, magical knife, or make a mortar and pestle or do any spells mentioned with herbs yet..But I am finding a wealth of knowledge on all the properties of the herbs mentioned here. I will be buying his book on gemstone properties and magic.

Now if anyone has any recommendations, on any books pertaining to Japanase Magic.. I am all about it.

Return to “Books & Literature”